• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

surgical weight loss ops on NHS in London???

judybrowneyes

Hi everyone, I am new here ad wanting to know if anyone got some advice for me. I am desperate to loose teh weight have tried every diet under teh sun jaw wiring years ago so a real yo yo dieter grrr Has anyone had these ops on the nhs?? any hopstial or surgeon that is good or to be avoided lol it has been inspirational reading eveyone acount adn I dont feel quite so alone now

Hi Judy welcome to Mini's :)

Everyones lovely here, you'll get all the support and help you need.

Have you looked at the BOSPA list to check your local PCT requirements? They vary so hugely even with neighbouring PCTs. The next step is to go and see your GP! That can be nerve-racking as I know I don't like talking about my weight but it was alot easier than I though it would be.

Good luck starting your journey!

Thanks so much ok i will look ip Bospa sounds likea new dance lol got appointment with Gp monday morning so ant ot do some research.. spoke to nice lady at pct in PALS she jsut said give them lots of info and research to back up GP letter, I suppose have to demonstrate why I need the op andhow it will improve my life aand save them money long term......... we hope lol thanks for your reply really sweet of you , so have you had or going to have a procedure?? Wish you luck in all you do so nice to be amongst otehr swho understand how hard it is one to face up to and decide that enough is enough...I know it will be long journey ahead... take care adnhave a good weekend ;-) Jude x

Hi Jude :)

I'm having a bypass on Wedesday, via the NHS. It took me 18months to get funding approved and then another 6months after that to get to the actual op. BUT as I said all PCTs are different.

Good luck with the GP on Monday, just don't take no for an answer!

PS. I'm presuming you've checked that you fit the NICE guidelines? (BMI 40 or 35 with co-morbidities)

lol oh yes my bmi is an embarrising 49.5 also I have a condtion called Lipodema an abnormal accumalation of sub-sutaneous fat in my hips, legs, and upper arms. . high blood pressure, arthritus and jsut got over a pulmunary embolism... so on bloody warfarin know too have to also wear these dreadful compression knee highs yet stillin dreadful pain standing adn walking so loosing teh weight would help so much as the additon fat pyt more of strainon already usefless lymph system But getting bckto you wowo so at long last your operation wish you all teh luck in the world... is it done through key hole surgery or do tehy have to make larger insertion ... did you decide on bypass rather than banding?? sorry ao many questions.......my son gets married in August andI am so worried that I will not be ableot stand up for teh service which lasts 45 mins I am hoping teh euphoria will help to deaden the pain or I shall hav eto have a few glassses before hick lol.I feel so excitd for you such a long wait but still you are at your new dawn cant wait tio her how you got on and your journey to a fitter and healthier you!! havea great weekend. Jude ;-) x

Well you should be able to get it on the NHS then no problems :) I can empathise, I am disabled and unable to stand for long or walk far.

I discussed both with my surgeon and decided the bypass was the best option for me, but everyone's individual. It's done laparoscopically, so keyhole, with 4 or 5 seperate small incisions.

Shel x

just had a really interesting cpnversation with a support group leader in london she seems to think I stand a really good chance of getting funding, seems they do not the gp I just need to get referred to the hospital... now feel exited and terrified all at once lol. she seems to think a bypasss woudl be best suited to me but tehy seem to do very thorough assessement. ..so Momday GP here I come lol

That sounds really promising! It's worth researching both the bypass and the band thoroughly so you can make an informed decision, as it depends on your eating habits and goals, so it's very much an individual thing.

yes thanks for that .....I am not a large portion eater every day bit more of a grazer lol but it sounds as if tehy doa really good assesment t workout your best options see this as my last shot, I long to be able to go for a walk adn being able to walk upstairs and not drag myself upstairs lol I know you understand as it sounds as if you also have your challenges with standing and walking... oh to be able to buy ordianary shoes jsut do the simple things people take for granted... yes i will goin to it with open mind you are very wise moman thanks for your time and encouragement i wil be thinking of you this week adn wishing you well with the operation...;-)

I dream of kitten heels and wake up to Crocs! I'm hoping that the weight loss will help with my mobility too, I know there's no guarantee, but I'm hoping it will atleast stop me from getting worse and will make me easier for my husband to care for if/when it comes to that :)

Grazing is a habit you'll have to stop before having either as it can sabotage both operations. I know how hard it is though!

Hiya , well saw my gp an he was great so got referral to Whittington hospitial.... so fingers crossed....thanks for the advice, I will try to curb my eating pattern and try three small meals a day... instead of the one or two meals and eating loads of fruit my downfall lol ...so not long your operation are you feeling a littel apprehensive?? I am sure it is exciting and scary all wrapped up into one... I will be thinking of you wish you the very best of luck hope you will not be in too much pain but just to think in a years time you will feel so much better I am sure....as well as not have your medical condition worsen.. I know that is my biggest fear too. Take care and stay in touch Jude x

thats great news Jude! That balls rolling now :D Sticking to three meals a day was one of the things I had to get used to doing pre-op, as part of a lifestyle and weight management referral I had to go through for 12 months! Be wary of the fruit, full of sugars, and can make you gain weight.

I'm feeling good thanks, very excited! Can't believe it's nearly here.

hi so how are you feeling after your operation hope all went well... as for me still waiting to hear from hospital.....

Hi jude, sorry didnt see your thread before! Its great news about your referal to the hospital, you are really lucky in my area (Barnsley) you have to have bmi of over fifty before been refered for a bypass, or between fourty and fifty with severe health problems (diabetes, high blood pressure etc) I didnt qualify for it so went private. Once again really pleased to meet another bypasser to be, keep us up to date with whats happening xx

hi so how are you feeling after your operation hope all went well... as for me still waiting to hear from hospital.....

I'm feeling great thanks, it all went really well and the process was a lot easier than I expected.

It'll take a while longer to hear from the hospital, general guidelines are around 6 weeks I think!

How are you feeling about it all? Staying strong and focused?

So Glad all went well shell and better than you thought wonderful !! look forward to hearing your progress Yes!!! I am feeling impatient want to know when my appointment will be....grrrrr when I rang the consultants sec she said they had the letter but consultant had not looked at it yet grrrr lol shall I threaten to go up and sit on him lol my son is getting married in Israel so flying out on Thursday so excited about it should be lovely and great fun just wish I wasn't this big fat lump lol but determined this will be my last fat summer.....;-) I hope....Cally thanks for the lovely welcome and well done you on the fab weigth loss. did you have a band or bypass??? Dhell Callly have a a great weekend. Jude xxx

Hi Judy, I had the bypass done on the first of April this year, best thing I have ever done (apart from my two lovely girls!) Only negative side is my vast overdraft from spending so much money on new clothes and shoes, my mum despairs as I like to take her shopping at least once a week (shes making up for years of neglect he he !!) Its going to be so much fun hun when you loose weight!

Back