• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Takeaway options post bypass?

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Hubby loves a good curry from the local indian, but I only let him have it once a month or so. Only problem is I'm struggling to join him! So what are good post bypass options, and for chinese etc as well.

I've tried saag paneer, matter paneer, tarka dahl and not got on well with any (taste, not dump). Tonight I had balti keema but it was literally swimming in oil so I only had a tiny bit. I was confusing it for biryani I think.

Hubby loves a good curry from the local indian, but I only let him have it once a month or so. Only problem is I'm struggling to join him! So what are good post bypass options, and for chinese etc as well.

I've tried saag paneer, matter paneer, tarka dahl and not got on well with any (taste, not dump). Tonight I had balti keema but it was literally swimming in oil so I only had a tiny bit. I was confusing it for biryani I think.

I to love a good curry, but you need to be very careful Shel as Indian take aways and resturants cook it in ghee, which is really high in fat content, not only is it bad for weight lose, but that amount of fat might make you dump ! maybe the way to go is to cook it yourself, then at least you know whats in it !
If you do buy from a take away why not try fish or just go for a veg curry instead of meat !
as for chinese - i have no idea, though i went out for dim sum with a friend in London pre op and it struck me that the small soft dumplings may be something i could eat post op at some point, not only are the prtions small, they are also steamed so not so bad for you.
As i can now only eat small portions my aim is to go for high tasting foods when i can.

I'll be interested in other people experiences

Richard

I quite often make curry at home, I have some of the tiny deol cooking sauces for when I'm feeling lazy! Did a beautiful thai green curry the other week...nomnomnom.

I don't tolerate spicy foods well lol, but since the op I've been craving foods with loads of flavour.

I quite often make curry at home, I have some of the tiny deol cooking sauces for when I'm feeling lazy! Did a beautiful thai green curry the other week...nomnomnom.

I don't tolerate spicy foods well lol, but since the op I've been craving foods with loads of flavour.

yes i do the same, at the moment i only eat once a day in the evening, so that has to be as tasty as possible.
As bypassers we are in the enviable position of not absorbing everything that goes down, where as banders do, but we have the downside of dumping.

Hi Shel, i too love a good curry. have found that byriani goes down ok or rogan josh which is tomato based. my local indian will cook without the oil and fat if i ask them. i also find that starters such as poppadums and onion bhajis have been ok.

I also have a couple of fab slimming world curry recipes which are fat free and taste great. will dig them out and post them on here for you.

as for chinese not managed that when i have tried i have been really sick after so avoid it like the plague!!

Hope this helps xx

chinese - i`v tried chow mein & chicken curry with rice & been ok with both

indians - chicken tikka masala with a bit of nan to dip in the sauce

can only manage a small amount but luckily AJ loves spicy foods so we share lol one meal

Ohh my favourite topic. I've been able to eat the following without much dumping: Veg Korma, Veg chow mein, a little bit of mushroom foo young, chips, garlic bread, egg fried rice and chinese tofu dishes. I had a bad reaction to spring rolls, but that's about it. Bon appetit!

This is a really good post, thanks Shel.

I too am wondering what foods i'll be able to eat when igo out for dinner or we have a take away.

Is the general rule: Low fat is fine?

Hi

I havent had indian...(never had it) but chinese I have a tiny bit of hubbys, usuall a bit of fried rice nad curry sauce and I am mostly fine with that....... have had odd time when been sick but otherwise I am ok with it!!!!

I do think everyone is told all various things, which is why this site is great ... my dietician informs me and the other girls i had the op with that, we need to eat higher calorie but low in sugar!!! so it confuses the heal out of me......

This is really interesting good to hear i may be able to eat a curry or chinese again !!!

How do you all manage alcohol and how long after my op will i be ble to drink just thinking about xmas and new year ??

Thanks

Corrine

ah luckily i rarely drink :D so that's not a problem for me!

When we go out, I just try and pick the healthiest option available. Today we were in the trafford centre and went to the food court for lunch. I had a jacket with cottage cheese which was yum but I only ate about 1/5 of it! We quite often go to the Harvester pub just up the road, and I just have the salad bar there which is yum. In other places I look for tomato based pasta dishes or plain fish/meat dishes. Or soup, I had some lush soup at Liverpool One last week.

Its just takeaways that I find difficult! We don't have them all that often cos I spend the whole time thinking how much cheaper I could cook it for :D

ah luckily i rarely drink :D so that's not a problem for me!

When we go out, I just try and pick the healthiest option available. Today we were in the trafford centre and went to the food court for lunch. I had a jacket with cottage cheese which was yum but I only ate about 1/5 of it! We quite often go to the Harvester pub just up the road, and I just have the salad bar there which is yum. In other places I look for tomato based pasta dishes or plain fish/meat dishes. Or soup, I had some lush soup at Liverpool One last week.

Its just takeaways that I find difficult! We don't have them all that often cos I spend the whole time thinking how much cheaper I could cook it for :D

Shel - Has the amount of food you can eat in one sitting increased, at the moment i have very little appitite for food and when i do eat i can only really manage 2 or 3 tablespoons before i get the brick effect !
I've been invited out for a Christmas lunch and i'm trying to decide if ts going to be worth my while going if i cant eat anything ?

Hi Silversurfer promise i won't talk about wine, cheese,lifejackets or Ross Kemp!!

I am 3 months post bypass and i can still only manage a small side plate portion of food or a starter if i'm out. That is about 2 spoons of rice and a couple of spoons of veg chiili. I feel full after that.

It has increased a bit since the early stages but not hugely. i suppose everyone is different and not sure if my amounts are normal. xx

Hi Silversurfer promise i won't talk about wine, cheese,lifejackets or Ross Kemp!!

I am 3 months post bypass and i can still only manage a small side plate portion of food or a starter if i'm out. That is about 2 spoons of rice and a couple of spoons of veg chiili. I feel full after that.

It has increased a bit since the early stages but not hugely. i suppose everyone is different and not sure if my amounts are normal. xx

Thanks Tammy, those Ross kemp, life jackets and cheese and wine brigade lot were getting on my nerves, :D

At the moment i'm not that worried bout my portion sizes and the amount i eat a day as i dont feel hungry and the weights dropping of me quickly, but longerterm i'd hoped i could return to some sort of normality, though it i'm starting to think it may be a while !

PS - Saving a fortune in food, no lunch, breakfast :D,

Richard why are you only eating once a day? that's incredibly unhealthy and you won't be getting anywhere near enough protein!

Richard why are you only eating once a day? that's incredibly unhealthy and you won't be getting anywhere near enough protein!

I'm not hungry ! in fact i've not really been hungry since before my op, some evenings i just eat because i think i should be eating !
other than this nagging back pain i'm not suffering because of it.

Richard. I'm going to get stern with you now, and no in a kinky way. EAT.

You need to be eating 3 small meals a day, whether you want them or not. You're not going to be hungry now, but food is your bodies fuel and you wouldn't drive your car on empty all day would you?

Sort it out boy.

Richard. I'm going to get stern with you now, and no in a kinky way. EAT.

You need to be eating 3 small meals a day, whether you want them or not. You're not going to be hungry now, but food is your bodies fuel and you wouldn't drive your car on empty all day would you?

Sort it out boy.

My consultant has told me not to worry, only eat if i want to, i have about 10 million calories to burn so i'm not going to be malnourised ! i really dont get hungry, its weird ! i do look at food and desire it, but thats starting to go too now, my biggest want was for bread, the smell and look were to much so i had a small piece and ended up being sick, now i dont even desire bread anymore. :drool:

Thanks Tammy, those Ross kemp, life jackets and cheese and wine brigade lot were getting on my nerves, :D

At the moment i'm not that worried bout my portion sizes and the amount i eat a day as i dont feel hungry and the weights dropping of me quickly, but longerterm i'd hoped i could return to some sort of normality, though it i'm starting to think it may be a while !

PS - Saving a fortune in food, no lunch, breakfast :D,
In the long term it will become more normal but i have to agree with shel eating once a day can be detrimental to you health!!! (i've had the lecture from my GP and bariatric nurse). I can't manage breakfast still but will manage half a banana at about 10ish then a small salad for lunch and a small tea. Have found my weight loss is better as my metabolism slows right down when i don't eat regularily. try to eat more hun you don't want to be ill after all your hard work xx

Back