• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tasty warming winter soup

RoseA

Sainsbury's "Be good to yourself" Parsnip, Butternut squash and ginger soup - yummy !

Per half a can:
Protein... 3.9g (2.0 per 100g)
Carbs... 14.8g (7.4 per 100g)
Sugar... 2.9g (1.5 per 100g)
Fat... 1.3g (0.7 per 100g)

A wee bit high on salt though, so don't go adding any.

Potentially suitable for all post-op stages. It has tiny diced soft pieces of veg & lentils, but you could blitz to a puree; and also thin it down if you're still on a liquid diet. You could even add some unflavoured protein powder for extra goodness.

I just had a whole can for lunch ! :eek:

Sounds fab! Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for the tip off.

I'll be buying some of that thanks Rose. Do you know i can and have been eating a full can of soup :eek: i bet i shouldn't be. Not been sick of heartburn or indigestion though :rolleyes: I do hope this is working:rolleyes: xxx

Ive been told that with fluids you can really eat as much as you like. It goes right through so to speak, its when you have thicker and stodgier food that the restriction kicks in.........I hope lol :D X

dont they have some lovely flavours of soups nowadays, i get so surprised every time i hear of a new one. sugga, i would imagine you can blitz them to get any lumps out, and if they are still too thick, add some milk to them, it will also add protein as well, then when you go onto purees,just blitz them.

I use all the soups even the ones with big chunks. I blitz them, so you get all the nutrients then I add milk to make them thinner also adding protein....simples :D They are yummy, bit bored now though after 2 weeks :D XX

Hi Sugga (and anyone else who has a soup interest!) I am a real soup fan and yup I have had all sorts since my op. In the first week I loved the covent garden winter veg one (blitzed) and added a bit of grated cheese for protein. I have since been addicted to the same make but ham and pea and also leek and potato which is nice and filling. Again add a bit of cheese to up the protein or dilute with milk that you have 'boosted' with marvel powder. One pint of ordinary semi skimmed milk with four tablespoons of marvel blitzed into it = 20gm of protein. I found that at the early stage when I really did not feel much like eating it is an easier way of adding protein than many other sources. As these are fresh soups (from the fridge section in any supermarket) they are quite good for you too .

One serving of the pea and ham one for example gives:
Protein 10.8gm
Carbs 22.2gm
Fat 4.8 gm

That is a whole half carton tho and I doubt you will manage more than 1/4 per meal to start with! :D:D

Oh and by the way a whole half carton is only 175 calories.

This is a great recommendation thanks Rose... I love my homemade parsnip soup on a winters day, but this sounds brilliant!

Love and hugs to everyone xxx

Hi Jacqui - Yes i use ordinary cheese just a bit grated in it once it is heated up. Dont put too much in or it goes a bit stringy! About an inch cube finely grated is good and I used it all through the liquid stage (most of them it is a fairly thickish liquid) but really easy to eat and tasty.

Back