• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The fear!!!!

nikki f

Got my op 2 weeks today!! Before I got my date I couldn't wait for my op but now with 2 weeks to go the times flying and I'm starting to get really scared!
What if I don't get up from anaesthetic
What if it doesn't work
What if I can't cope
What if I get bad excess skin
All these things going through my head, and putting doubts in my mind.
Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
Xxx

I know it's a scary time but it's should also be exciting. Your new life is just around the corner.

It's extremely rare for people not to wake up from the anaesthetic, extremely. Complications can happen no doubt but they are rare. You should concentrate on that. It's also very rare it doesn't work, the op it self is usually very successful but sometimes people struggle with the emotional side and that's where people can have set backs. Work hard to stay on top of that part of it and get help if you struggle and you should be ok.
You will cope, you will have moments you find it hard but you will cope.
You may well get bad excess skin, not everyone does, it depends of your size and how quick you lose weight after. People say it depends on age and it might but I'm relatively young but I have awful excess skin but I've lost mine very fast. I will say I wouldn't swap my excess skin for my excess weight for anything.
You will have doubts and worries all the way up to your op and after too but soon you will start to see the benefits out weigh the worry and if you work hard too you will stand a very good chance of being sucessful. Best of luck :) x

We can all reassure you that we were ok and that the odds are low but it's natural to worry yourself silly. It is surgery and there are risks involved but the way I looked at it the odds were stacked in favour of taking the risk and getting the help as I was guaranteed an early demise otherwise.
Good luck (annoying as it is to hear it, I'm sure you'll be fine). ; )

Got my op 2 weeks today!! Before I got my date I couldn't wait for my op but now with 2 weeks to go the times flying and I'm starting to get really scared!
What if I don't get up from anaesthetic
What if it doesn't work
What if I can't cope
What if I get bad excess skin
All these things going through my head, and putting doubts in my mind.
Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
Xxx

I am feeling exactly the same Nikki, I'm 18th march at Chelsea too (mr efthimiou) I'm currently on my LSD and I keep getting waves of "what am I doing"
I know I need to do this but my determination to get the surgery has been replaced with total fear.
We gotta get brave x
Rudders

I got the fear bad about 5 days before my op - I woke up with a single thought in my head - "these might be the last days of my life". But it passed, I thought of all the reasons I was putting myself through it, the people I loved, for the future we would have together. I spoke to the nurses at the hospital, and what they said is true, that this is a simple and safe operation for most people. They would not accept you as a candidate if they did not think that you would do well during and after the operation. They simply would not want to risk their statistics!!

My main fear isn't dying, it's complications afterwards that might lead to continual health problems.
Although I'm grossly overweight I have a relatively pain free uncomplicated life. (Without surgery I know this will change)
I am having illogical thoughts that i will be the one that gets all the 1% problems.
Isn't fear a o#*EUR$!!!
X

Thank you all for your replies.
I think it's just silly nerves and I'm soo excited can't wait to fit in clothes fit fort age and having a new lease of life. I'm sure it will pass its just been a long time since I left my life in another persons hands.
Thank you all for being so supportive. It's hard trying to get the people that don't go through what we have to understand. Xxx

I felt exactly the same as you - which was my main reasons for choosing a wrap.

Just had it done this morning and amazed how good I'm feeling ATM !

I thought I'd feel different. I suppose I had no idea what to expect post surgery.

Drinking mouthfuls of water (slowly) with no problems or pain x

i think ther must be something wrong with me, my ops in a week and im perfectly fine, chilled out and waiting for the time to tick by.

K4 I was the same as you ....I couldnt wait
Untill the day of my surgery and I was nervous and I did start thinking silly things lol

But all was fine and I have made great recovery...struggling to get fluids down but its only been a week.
Good luck to you all ::)))))

I have my op on the 26th and must say i have all the fears and doubts you have and more but i have to go through with it, i've tried everything else and the unhappiness i feel about myself is not the feeling i want to live with for the rest of my life so its onwards and upwards. Saturday when my pre op diet starts, Milk, milk and more milk there will be no going back. Its not an easy option as those with no weight issues seem to think, its a long hard road to travel but reading posts on here has given me strength to think it can't be all bad. Keep the faith XXX

These nerves are normal. I was petrified. And I didn't sleep 1 wink before my op which didn't help. I had the same fears as does everyone. It's normal! I would try and practise some relaxing techniques, I wish I had taken a kalm or something before my op because I was in a state which helped no one. Everything has a risk, a bigger risk for me was continuing to put on weight and becoming less mobile and active. You will be fine. X

I had to read twice too lol.
The fears are being overtaken by excitement again but I've got a week to go and I've got a cold so I'm terrified they won't go through with it now!!
Really excited though I've done more research at my surgeon is top of his league so that makes me feel better.
I can't wait to get into a pair of sexy jeans!!!

Lol, that is one of my motivations, too. Some skinny jeans, loll. Hoping all goes well for everyone who is going to have the operation soon. I Haven't really felt afraid at all yet, maybe that will come later, mine is still a month away. Yes, the pre-op diet is tough but I see it as the beginning of a new journey.

I remember the ONLY thing I was constantly thinking about was the surgery for almost 3 weeks. And I even debated backing out, thinking I can do it on my own. Reality is I can't and that's why I asked for help. I was terrified of going under the knife. But as soon as I walked in the OR they put me on the table and knocked me out. I was out within 3-4 minutes. I lay down and closed my eyes so I wouldn't see all the "tools".. before I knew it I was in lala land.

All I knew is If I didn't go through with it, it would be my biggest regret of life, and I would never be able to forgive myself.

Yes there are so many what if's, but chances are they will never happen to you.

Good luck!

I understand your fears, as I am feeling the same. I do love reading the success stories on here though :)

Good luck hun :553:

Just realised you posted on 7th March, so you will now be post-op :) :) :)

How are you?

Back