• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

the never ending wait

moomoo1

well im about half way through my 6month waiting time for surgery and am praying it befor xmas but reality of waiting lists says maybe I wont be till after, but the waiting is driving me nuts , Id rather have an exact date for next year than the endless limbo, as my mobility dwindles I keep holding onto the knowledge it can only get better and im on the final stretch but oooooooooohmyyyyyyygoddddddd it driving me crazy!!!:crazy:

I feel your pain, I am self funding but trying to juggle dates/work/commitments etc I am no closer to a final date.........

Hoping that it all happens for you soon!

:)

I have been attending Salford Royal for seven months now seeing the dietician every month. I asked her the other day if I was any nearer being considered for bariatric surgery, and she informed me that it would be over a year before they would even consider looking into it, although initially the doctor said six months. Anyone know the protocol?

I have been attending Salford Royal for seven months now seeing the dietician every month. I asked her the other day if I was any nearer being considered for bariatric surgery, and she informed me that it would be over a year before they would even consider looking into it, although initially the doctor said six months. Anyone know the protocol?

im not sure tbh because mine is revision surgery I don't have to go to weightloss management first but I hope it not to long for you

Each PCT does things differently don't they. We at Stockport have to do all the preliminary courses successfully before they will put you to the panel for acceptance for funding. Then if you're accepted, forms are sent back and forth to your GP/Weight Management team and then finally sent on to Salford Royal who say that they will contact the patient 4 - 6 weeks to book in for pre-op tests etc and then to see the surgeon who, if all well, books your surgery for a short time after that (usually a few weeks away).

Well - 2 months later and guess who's not heard a piggin thing ? When you ring Salford Royal its so difficult because they are getting referrals from all directions and don't all follow the same pattern. It's soooooooooooo frustrating. The euphoria of finally getting my funding after over 3 years is fading fast. I am convinced it's not going to happen !!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I had my pre op in the beginning of July at Salford...............then I've heard nothing. So I decided to phone them. They told me it would be November at the earliest. I was hoping to have it done before my son's wedding........but there I was again............the elephant in the room.

:cry:

Oh dear, you've just confirmed my worst fear about the whole Choose to Change programme (since you're in Greater Manchester, I'm assuming they've shuffled you off into the programme).

Their main goal seems to be to prevent you from having surgery by sticking you on their diet.

I was told six months as well, but the more I hear the more it sounds like a couple of years :sigh:

oh Shell...... I hope it's not a couple or years for you. (or me). I was so excited when I was first referred for surgery. But it's not easy..........and the waiting is torture.......and I want a life were I can walk without pain.....were people don't stare.........when I'm not the fattest person in the room.

oh Shell...... I hope it's not a couple or years for you. (or me). I was so excited when I was first referred for surgery. But it's not easy..........and the waiting is torture.......and I want a life were I can walk without pain.....were people don't stare.........when I'm not the fattest person in the room.

I understand exactly what you're saying, that's precisely how I feel!

I hope your time from referral to surgery is quick.

I'm still stuck in the "we know what's best for you" stage with their "diet and exercise" regime. :mad: I fear my journey may look unending once I get properly started!

Good luck to all waiting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just need to be patient. I am continuing using Orlistat as advised by the dietician. Any pounds I manage to get off will help me when hopefully they agree to fund an operation.

its driving me mad too.i started all this in feb.everything done.i am still on with the apnea.going to see anethsatist again.i got everything ready.all info.measuring spoon.b lender.everthing is in place.it does get you down the waiting.i fully agree with you.but I am sure very soon you will get that call.me not till I can sleep longer with that horrible mask.you take care good luck

I had my pre-op in May and just had a call on from the hospital on Thursday to see if I could have my operation this Thursday coming, so I bit their hand off, some people wait 5 years + so my 17 month wait doesn't seem too bad in comparison.

Back