• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The psychological effects of rapid weight loss

ricke17

Hey guys,

I'm almost 8 months out of RnY surgery and have lost 13 stone.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing psychological problems in as much as still feeling fat and looking in the mirror and seeing your former self.

I am in the middle of 4 sessions of CBT which I am finding useful but wondered what other people are going thru?

Rick x

Hi again Rick - I'm pre-op so I can't answer that for myself but I have heard that it takes several months for your brain to 'catch up' with weight loss. Little things like misjudging a gap you think you won't fit through and picking out the wrong size clothes in a shop - I suppose its a bit like changing your car from a 4x4 to a smart car! But 13 stone in 8 months!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder you can't get your head round it. Don't worry - this time next year you'll be amazed that you were ever overweight. Take care, Mxx

hi ricke, im 4 years post op now and still always try to buy clothes thats way to big for me just out of sheer habbit, but it does feel good when the sizes i pick up that i think i am is to big, living big for so many years, but thinking big takes a hell of along time to shake off once those pounds has gone x

Hi Rick
Congrats on your weight lose, i'm almost a year post op now and like you still have self image issues, when i see myself in the mirror i feel ok, its when i'm in an unfamiliar situation or with people i dont know i start to think of myself as fat and think they are seeing me this way, i know its a 'self confidence' problem and something i'm slowly getting over.
I think when you lose weight rapidly like we do with these life changing ops it takes your brain a while to catch up with the new body, all those self doubts and thoughts or the way you think people percieve you isn't going to go away over night, i guess the surgeon can fix your insides, but whats in your head will take a while to catch up........My personal therapy these days for this is hand cut Italian suits :D

I still don't want to shop for clothes as I still believe I'd have to go to evans. I've only lost 3 stone but the inches are going and everyones noticing.Its just me that thinks I'm still big and need a size 28/30 (even though my clothes are falling off me).Maybe after the next 3 stone have gone I might believe it myself lol

wow thats amazing weight loss you must be so proud i hope i do as well. my freind had her op in november shes so slim now but she says the same as you , she still sees herself as big,

Hi Rick, big CONGRATS on 13 stone already that is just amazing. I too still feel like I am big. I was shopping with my husband and we cut through a parking lot walking between cars and I ended up going completely around the outside to avoid the narrow spaces. My hubby looked back and shook his head when he realised what I had done. Thinking with my fat head, I thought sure he is fine to go between but I won't fit. But I am smaller than hubby now so my logic hasn't caught up yet. I think it takes a while for your residual image of yourself to change. We'll get there eventually!

Nic:D

Yes, I still feel fat! My head knows that I am wearing size 8 trousers and 10 tops but my heart still feels all flubbley. I have found that for me it's been the excess skin that has made that so much worse. Before I fell pregnant I went through a bad patch psychologically where I stopped eating for a while and given a scalpel would have happily cut off my own extra skin :(

I feel more confident dressed, after looking at photos and thinking wow that's me, but naked I revert back to the insecure mess I was beforehand.

hello have the same feelings as shelbell as i've lost so much weight quickly ihave so much loose skin which make me buy a size bigger than i am so i can took it all in,but its when im naked the props start as i still see a really fat unhappy person i was before my bypass x x x x sarah

Iv'e lost five and a half stone so far and only yesterday hubbie asked me why I was wearing clothes that are too big for me. To be honest I wasn't even aware that they looked too big and I supposed subconciously I wanted those around me to notice that they were too big..lol Must admit though when I went to change into something smaller I instantly felt really fat again because they were tighter.

If and when I ever reach my target weight I am going to become a hippie and wear lots of floaty dresses.....

First of all well done on your weightloss that is an amazing achievment, so WELL DONE YOU!!

I am only 1lb from goal now, but still feel fat and just can't see what other people see. Everyone tells me I look great and that I am skinny now, and yes I can even fit into a size 6 jeans, but i just don't see it and don't visualise myself being this small. I agree with others, it does take time for your brain to catch up with your body, I think i am slowly getting there. But it IS really hard to get your head around it when losing weight so fast.

im like shel. Can see the loss when dressed and like what i see but undressed i see all the loose skin although i can still see the loss and changing shape. I am really learning to love the new me and feel really good about myself. i feel my head is in a good place and catching up with my body on a daily basis. And hopefully you too will be there too soon

Back