• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unrelated Medication after Op

NEDebz

Hoping somebody can give me some advice.

I had an appointment at SRH on Monday, I'd been given a weight loss target of 4.5kg but managed 7.8kg and had been hoping to be put on the waiting list for a bypass but the team want further assurances from my Psychiatrist that the op wont affect my mental health.

One of their main concerns is that my medication will still be absorbed correctly so that I dont inadvertently become ill due to not receiving the prescribed doseage.

The medication I'm on is Venlafaxine (anti-depressants) and Soduim Valprate (mood stabilisers also used for Epilepsy). Both of these medications are slow release, one a capsule and one a tablet.

Does anybody have any experience of whether or not medication is not absorbed properly after the op?

Thanks

Hi NEDebz. Sorry I can't help as I didn't have this problem. But I was delayed at the same stage at SRH due to them deciding they wanted me to see a psychologist!

I can't help fee this may be delaying tactics on their part....but then I may be feeling cynical!

I hope this gets sorted for you fast honey.

Interesting question. I take venlafaxine and quetiapine and omg do I get bad withdrawals if I skip one of my venlafaxine so I hope it does still get absorbed properly.
Debz if you're stable on your meds I think you should push the fact that this will actually make you less likely to suffer depression post op as you're already prepared.

Right i have no idea about your specific medicine but i do know i used to take slow release metformin (3 in the morning as opposed to 1 three times a day) and after my surgery was told i couldn't have the slow release. Not sure if it's because metformin doesn't come that way or because of absorption issues... Not sure if that helps but i hope so xx

Right i have no idea about your specific medicine but i do know i used to take slow release metformin (3 in the morning as opposed to 1 three times a day) and after my surgery was told i couldn't have the slow release. Not sure if it's because metformin doesn't come that way or because of absorption issues... Not sure if that helps but i hope so xx

Phatmomma, what do you take for your diabetes now? I am on four slow release metformins a day (sometimes three if my stomach's playing up!) and take them all at the same time. I'm also on a gliclazide - wonder if I'll still need these after the op.... has your diabetes improved/disappeared???

Back