• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medication

Libertine79

Hi I'm Becky, I am pre op and hoping to have a by pass, I am seeing my surgeon on the 27th of June.

I have a concern that I hope I can get some advice on.... I take anti epileptic medication for seizures I had whilst I had a brain tumour (now removed and hopefully not coming back) I am required to stay on the medication and actually don't want to come off them as I would have to go a period of one year without driving, would be desperate not to do this as I have only just got my licence back after 2 years !! Been horrid. Can you continue to take medications post surgery? This might seem a silly qu but not sure if your ability to absorb medications change at all? I obviously will be in close liaison wit neurology and my neurosurgeon. Thank you in advance :) x x

I have long term medication for chronic illness and have managed to continue taking them. Most of my meds could be changed into liquid, some of the capsules I took apart and had the powder in milk. Now I am taking them as normally and I have done since about 3 weeks post op. a lot of it is trial and error and as long as all your consultants know what is happening and you follow their advice, all should be fine. I am sure that something as Important as epileptic meds will be something that the consultant is more used to dealing with.

As for the absorption. So far I have felt much better since my op - I am 5 weeks out from bypass. I have had no issue with absorption and body reaction to tablets since op - fingers crossed! Stay in touch with docs, contact epileptic support groups etc as I am sure they must have some experience with people in a similar experience. Good luck!

Thank you, I will contact them once I have seem Mr May. Guess he will advice as well x

Thank you very much.... Well done on your weight loss can't wait to be on your side of the fence!! X

Your doctors at hospital will sort all that for you i would imagine you will stay on the usual ones you take. xx

Thanks Hun x x

My Mum had to have all meds in liquid or she crushed them up in milk like above. After six months she was able to take them as normal :)

I am 4 weeks post bypass, and have been able to take normally tablets from the second day after my op. Hope that helps :)

Helps a lot thank you x

Back