• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vanity after weight loss?

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
Do any of you guys still really struggle with self image after your weight loss? I dont mean as in seeing your extra skin etc. What I mean is do you ever see yourself as attractive?
I was telling a friend about something that happened today, I was in town with my sister and I walked by this really hot guy and usually when that happens they catch my eye and I walk by appreciating their good looks but they have always either looked at me and then looked away quickly or even looked through me, this guy today didnt, he noticed me looking and with this hot half smile he held my gaze as I walked towards him and then past him...it truly made every inch of me blush, that is how unaccustomed I am to getting those looks back.
Now when I talk about vanity I mean do any of us ever feel comfy enough to say 'yes, that person DID look at me appreciatively, they looked and they liked what they saw'?
My friend said 'ha, you pulled' and that shocked me, until that point I felt he had looked in that way but my old self confidence, or hugely massive lack of it, had made me think I was imagining it, but looking back, you know what, if I were in a bar or a club etc and I had gotten that look then I would know what it meant, I remember that look from before I met hubby, I got that look right before I got chatted up when I was out, so I KNOW what it means, so why is it so hard for me to feel comfy admitting it now without feeling like I am being a narcissistic, pretentious oik?
Im guessing that most of us would feel the same about accepting that we can once again be attractive, but am I totally out of order for giving in to vanity here? I have really do feel horrendous for even posting this thread as it feels like one big exercise in stroking my own ego, but its not meant as that, I just wonder if we will ever feel comfy with our new image, will it ever feel normal to have someone look at us and think mmmm or will we always feel the way I do inside? Like a short, stumpy little hippo that noone should want to like the look of?!
Steph xx

Just don't know who or what I am Steph, I can't see the new me and still think of me as 400lbs plus. I worry continuosly that the money I'm currently spending on plastics is such a waste of time and that the surgeons will say "get your fat bum out of here thid is not for you". My friends say I look good but I can't see it. It must take time to catch up and get used to it all. From your pics on here you look lovely, in time perhaps you'll get used to it and enjoy it.

Take care

M

Ahhh steph (((hugz))) the thread does not read as an ego stroke, not in the least.

I'm pr-op so can only imagine that feeling at the end, when one is no longer FAT and the true beauty within shines through.

I know that feeling of being looked through, and way back when, I can remeber the feeling of being looked at and appreciated or even lusted after. Lets be honest, it's a nice feeling and one, I for one long to feel again.

It's all about the mind catching up with the bod, the inside catching up with the outside. However every one has self doubts, even the skinny minnies have hang ups.

I'm makaing a pact with myself that WHEN I lose this weight I will be satisfied that I am alright!!! It's about confidence and self belief, however it's hard to drop the feeling of a lifetime.

I guess with WLS we can drop the lbs but the memory of carrying those lbs is far harder to drop as are the feeling.

I think what you describe is a perfectly natural part of the process of becoming who we are meant to be.

Keep turning heads hun .... and ENJOY!!

Aww thanks for that lovely reply.
I am sure that you will get all of the lusting after that you want, youre already a stunner xx
Steph xx

OMG nobody told me any of this when i signed up! I've only ever been hit on a couple of times!!!!! I'll just curl up and die of embarassment :) :)

Seriously though i am having a slight problem! I weigh in at 17 1/2 stone according to my hospital i'm 4 stone lighter than when i started my journey with them last July. My problem is this, i'm still very obese but when i see myself in a mirror or window i'm giving myself the eye and telling myself how flipping fabulous i look.... I almost stuck my hips out today at the opticians to admire my 'little' bum when i was at the opticians today... I am going to be so vain it's scary...

Hehe go you Julie!!! You strut your fab stuff and stick out that cute heiny hehe
See, I wish that I felt comfy enough to let myself feel ok about feeling more attractive, I feel as though if I say out loud...damn girl, looking hot today...I feel as though I am terrible. I had a low cut top on today and dammmmnnn the 'girls' looked fab...I went to Asda with my sister and I know damn well men were looking at them (hubby has explained many a time about how men work! lol) and I felt damn good about it...womens lib folks would be disgusted with me but is it really that bad to want to be objectified a little bit...when I choose it I mean...surely Im not a totally horrendous bint for wanting to be looked at with lust.
Again Julie...youre fab, you have every right to strut your stuff xx
Steph xx

I must admit I'm finding myself looking into mirrors and windows and think "Hell yeah, you're looking pretty good boy"

Enjoy it. I can imagine what it's like because when I went to Africa and the W.I I was given those looks as they loved big women. I have to admit it took a while and my cousin pointing it out as I thought they were being funny.

Enjoy it Steph, Mixxy and Julie. You've earnt it. Just remember that you have partners to go back home to.

love

Rebirth xx

ha ha ha spot the wls person in the high street, theyre the ones stood by the big windows, sticking their heinys out, and talking to themselves, 'looking damn good today huni', 'well look at me, woo hoo', etc etc etc, lol.
gawd 'elp anywhere where we meet as a crowd, lol
go for it folks, ill be joining you soon.

It's funny how so much more people get to know what's happened to me. I love talking about my experience at each and every oppertunit.

A couple of ladies from Weight Watchers were at the local Morrisons ( Other supermarkets are available :) ) giving away little recipe books and talking aobut eating healthy. Thay said to me "Looks like you eat healthily but have one of these" to which I replied that I didn't need one and was very food aware. But she was insistent. So I just rubbed my tummy and whispered 'I've had an operation'. Well, she was so interested and when the other one overheard me say I'd lost 16st 12lb she came over too and was talking whilst Rachel and Stephen wandered off and left me to it for 10 minutes :)

The cheeky so and so's even asked me to attend one of their meetings :)

there is definitely that huge mental block we all need to try and get past.
I was out with one of my best friends the other day who i haven't seen in absolutely ages, and she was saying how great i was looking and so different etc, and I said to her the fact even though i have now lost almost 8 stone i still don't think i am seeing what everyone else seems to....one day i will hehe

Back