• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins/Minerals - which to use?

novamay

Born Free
Which vitamins and minerals do you buy? Went to see my GP and he's prescribed me the fastabs and anti-gallstone meds, but said I would have to get my own Calcium, Vit D and Iron tablets. I am using the supermarket's own brand multivit, so will I be ok with generic varieties of the specific vits and mins or should I get a branded version?

Why wont he give you calcium and iron on prescription?
I can I use own brand multi vits from local health shop pay about £2.99 for 60 Ive been told the pound shops do them so will look in there when these run out.

You can buy them over the page act counter but you should get them on prescription.

Sanatogen a-z and tesco calcium and vit d for me. Just had my blood test results and all good.

I just get asdas own now, i buy iron over the counter at chemist, adcal I get from the doc. At first because I had other meds to get I got a prescription prepayment so go the lot and made it work for me saved a fortune as I got further out and needed less buy most of them myself over the counter.

Rake lane tested all of them and asda a to z complete with minerals came out best compared to branded ones too. Good newsis that they are often on 3 For £10 too. You need to take 2 per day

Yep I was told the same. Also was told they were buyer than forceval as more complete.

I would write to your PCT and complain as most people get them on prescription. I even get my sanatogen on presciption. Alternatively, I would change doctors. I remember my consultant telling me a story about a woman up north somewhere that died - she had been buying her own vitamins but they didn't have the minerals in them. She developed something (its in one of my older posts but can't remember now what she had) and becuase it is so rare for people to get what she had nowadays it wasn't diagnosed before she died. This was at my pre-op appointment when my consultant was telling me how important the vits are.

I've just had my 4 month bloods and I'm low in B12 and Vit D, my consultant wrote to me getting me to re-do tests two months later (I was due again at 12 months) and in his letter he said he'd just had a near miss with a lady that wasn't taking proper vitamins.

If you really can't get them on prescription, contact your provider and tell him the ones you are buying and get him to ok them. Better safe than sorry.

Back