• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins post surgery

Big an Bouncy

I have reserched the recommended daily amounts for vitamins and minerals against the ones in Forceval,the multivit given to most postop.The results are spot on it gives you the most comprehensive RDA of all,so when your doc gives it to you its for a very good reason.I would be wary of them fobbing you off by telling you to get Sanatogen multi vits as I dont think it compares.But that is my opinion entirely!

I had to argue with my doctor as he said they only prescribe them for alcoholics.. that any vit and min will do. On which I replied clearly thats not true and I've been told to get these.

Got a nice 3 month supply for when im off liquids :)

These docs clearly dont keep abreast of wls,perhaps they are not interested.I will deffo mention it to my surgeon and make sure that the information is passed to patients gps as a matter of course.We should all query this.Its vital to our wellbeing,you only absorb 30% of nutrients post op so this must be addressed!Maz x

I had to get the dietician to contact dr because he said a bog standard vitamin would do, my dr hates to even talk about wls its a nightmare :( I was with a different practice when I was referred for the op they were so much more clued up x

I bought the Bassets chewy ones, how long can I take them for and when should I change over as I don't seem to have any mention of the Forceval ones in my notes!!

SARAH S said:
I bought the Bassets chewy ones, how long can I take them for and when should I change over as I don't seem to have any mention of the Forceval ones in my notes!!

Sarah I've just swapped to the chewy ones they are so much better x

Sarah I've just swapped to the chewy ones they are so much better x

They are easy to take, but because of the malabsorbtion issues, I just want to make sure they have enough in them:eek:

I asked my GP for Forceval for when I go onto proper food. He hadn't heard of them but tried to prescribe them but a pop up came up on his computer saying he couldn't and giving an 'equivalent'.( The computer says-NO!) The pop up told him how much he was saving by giving me the equivalent one. I'm all for using the cheapest meds and using NHS money more wisely, as long as the cheaper version does the job properly. I've just looked at them to see what they're called but it just says vitamin tablets on the pharmacists bottle. They are really small, smell very 'minerally', are a dark reddish colour in case anyone recognises them. I have to take two a day. I wish I could look them up to see what's in them.
I haven't started taking them yet as I was supposed to take liquid Dalivit for 8 weeks. I ditched that at 4 weeks as it was ghastly. The pharmacist checked their content with the Bassets Chewy Multivit and the latter compared well so I've been taking that. I'll miss it when I switch to the tabs on Monday ! They tatse lovley :eek:)

Miss T,Is there an info leaflet with them you should know what you are taking.They are easy to take once your on solid food.Dont take on an empty tum and not at the same time as the calcium.Take vits with your brekkie and calcium later in the day.

Hi B&B, Thanks for the useful info about not taking with my calcium. I've been taking my vits and one Adcal first thing, and then my other Adcal last thing!
There is no leaflet. The pharmacist put them out of a very big bottle into my little bottle. I know this as they had lost them and I had to wait whilst the ensuing search took place. They were eventually located by the counter assistant in the back office. I couldn't even begin to ask why....

Go back and ask for a copy of the page in their pharmacy book for your reference,I wouldnt be happy taking something for the rest of my life if I didnt know what was in it!

I agree-I'll find out.

Maz do the the Bassett chewy one have enough in them to continue taking long term? :)

From what I read on there leaflet,no.Plus you have to pay for them,if you get free prescriptions thats even better.This is for life dont forget.We can only absorb 30% of all nutrients,as we age our bodies will naturally take even less from our food.If you are young and having periods you need to maintain your health and moreso if you get pregnant.In old age we are susceptable to osteoporosis so calcium and vitamin intake will be vital.

I have reserched the recommended daily amounts for vitamins and minerals against the ones in Forceval,the multivit given to most postop.The results are spot on it gives you the most comprehensive RDA of all,so when your doc gives it to you its for a very good reason.I would be wary of them fobbing you off by telling you to get Sanatogen multi vits as I dont think it compares.But that is my opinion entirely!

No it's not honey it's also the opinion of most bariatric surgeons too. Never let your GP or anyone else tell you that Forceval isn't needed and other multivits will be as good, they simply aren't.

Forceval is the only one I would accept.

thanks for clearing that up ,i have a group practice and the doctor i see last week for a chat about my medication,really had no idea about bariatric surgery,my consultant told me to see gp , and discuss my medication being changed to liquids for after my op,and to ask about forceval,,,,when i did he simply said,,no need,,hundreds have bands,i explained i was having bypass or sleeve his reply was ,now your over reacting!,,youl be fine after,and if not we will see you in a few weeks and see what we can do,i told him i was told by my consultant to ask and he laughed,,i felt like a complete wimp ,because i said ok and walked out,,almost in tears ,dunno why ,thats not like me ,,knowing he was wrong,as i was leaving i made another appointment with another gp and she was completely different , really helpful and sorted me out,now i know ,thanks to you two ,that forceval is probably needed and i didnt over react,cheers guys xx

Thats why we still post,no one knows what to expect until you have experienced the whole WLS journey.Maz x

Nothing will stop your hair being affected but for your general health the right rda of vits and minerals is a no brainer!

Back