• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Water - anyone struggling?

Jamast

I know this sounds odd, but I am having trouble drinking plain water. Not only does it taste disgusting, but I can actually feel when it gets to my pouch and it makes me feel sick.
I thought it might be cold water, but when I take my dispersible calcium vits in a morning, it doesn't happen. Nor does it happen with Apple juice. Warm drinks of any sort are also fine. It's just plain water.
I want to drink more, there is no way that I am drinking enough, but can't get on with water (Flavoured or not). I obviously can't drink anymore than my 125ml fruit juice allowance, but I'm really stuck on what to do. I loathe squash, I've never liked it, and post op it tastes even worse than before.

Any ideas please?

Have you tried watered down juice? It may not be as tasty as juice but it may take the 'edge' off the plain water taste

I could not drink cold water (other drinks were fine) for the first 12 weeks post op, warm and hot were fine. Its not an unusual phenomena, and it wont last forever. But its is weird.

I too hated water post op, yet pre op used to drink bottles and bottles, I'm like you and have never been a fan of squash, for 5 months post op I lived on diluted apple juice I used to dilute it 50/50 then add loads of ice, around 5 months post op my taste buds went back to normal and now I love my tea and water again :)

Have you tried watered down juice? It may not be as tasty as juice but it may take the 'edge' off the plain water taste

I could not drink cold water (other drinks were fine) for the first 12 weeks post op, warm and hot were fine. Its not an unusual phenomena, and it wont last forever. But its is weird.

I too hated water post op, yet pre op used to drink bottles and bottles, I'm like you and have never been a fan of squash, for 5 months post op I lived on diluted apple juice I used to dilute it 50/50 then add loads of ice, around 5 months post op my taste buds went back to normal and now I love my tea and water again :)

Thank you for your replies. I am glad to know that other people have had the same thing. I too drank loads of water before the op. I will definitely try the watered down Apple juice and I'm also going to try water with fresh lemon juice in as I used to drink that year's ago. I'm just very conscious that I need to get more fluid in.
Thank you again.

Could you try herbal or fruity teas?
I've found them much easier!
My cinnamon one is particularly yummy

Do you know, I sometimes wonder if my brain is functioning lately. I have a blooming pantry full of fruit and herbal teas as my 11 year old is obsessed with them and it never occurred to me to try them lol. I think I'm losing it lol
Thank you.

I haven't been able to drink just water really since my bypass 13 weeks ago. I feel it going all the way down and feels really uncomfortable. How strange is that ???? I try to have other drinks instead and an getting back in to tea now. My taste buds have been completely up the spout since the op and I am beginning to wonder if anything will taste normal again. I just don't enjoy food at all any more which is great on the one hand but it makes me want to skip meals rather than eat something I know I will not like. Hey ho though I've lost 5.5. stones in 13 weeks so I can't complain but I don't want to be slim and ill.

Take care x

I haven't been able to drink just water really since my bypass 13 weeks ago. I feel it going all the way down and feels really uncomfortable. How strange is that ???? I try to have other drinks instead and an getting back in to tea now. My taste buds have been completely up the spout since the op and I am beginning to wonder if anything will taste normal again. I just don't enjoy food at all any more which is great on the one hand but it makes me want to skip meals rather than eat something I know I will not like. Hey ho though I've lost 5.5. stones in 13 weeks so I can't complain but I don't want to be slim and ill.

Take care x

That's it exactly. I thought it was odd that I could feel it. It's also only with plain water. I take my calcium dissolved in 200ml of water, they are lemon flavoured and yet I can't feel that when I drink it - very odd. On the plus side, I take them three times a day, so that's 600mls of water. And I have forced myself to have three cups of tea a day, which gives me another 900mls of fluid. With other things, such as a glass of Apple juice, milk on weetabix etc, I am getting in over 1 & 1/2 litres of fluid but I am still very conscious that it's not water.

That's it exactly. I thought it was odd that I could feel it. It's also only with plain water. I take my calcium dissolved in 200ml of water, they are lemon flavoured and yet I can't feel that when I drink it - very odd. On the plus side, I take them three times a day, so that's 600mls of water. And I have forced myself to have three cups of tea a day, which gives me another 900mls of fluid. With other things, such as a glass of Apple juice, milk on weetabix etc, I am getting in over 1 & 1/2 litres of fluid but I am still very conscious that it's not water.
is that the cacit? Why three times a day?

It's Adcal-D3. One tablet three times a day. I'm hoping that once I can take tablets, that amount might reduce lol.

im wondering about upping mine. I take cacit d3

Don't know if this helps but each tablet I have contains 1500mg calcium carbonate and 10mg vitamin D3

Problem is that mine is calcium citrate, which is better as you get 15% improvement in absorbtion. Plus it tastes like lemonade ;)

Back