• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What are the odds of getting a boob lift on the NHS?

Tyraboots

I had my gastric bypass on the 28th Jan this year. I've lost just under 9 stone. To my horror my breasts are now empty sacks, they lie flat against my body like two dog ears, they are about 8 inches long, I have to scoop them up and shove them into a bra. I used to have big full ones.
There is no money for a boob job, I need them cut off really and made smaller. Would my health authority go for that. My mother is currently in remission with breast cancer, its affected most of the women in our family. I'm terrified its going to find somewhere to lurk in these weird breasts i've been left with. Any ideas?

I've no idea but I'm terrified of the same thing happening to me. My bras are already looking rather loose around the top so I suspect I've already gone down a couple of cup sizes, although that could just be fat loss from across my chest. I do seem to have lost quite a bit of weight from around my neck, chest & shoulders so far. I just hope I don't lose too much from the volume of my breasts otherwise I'll be wanting a boob job too! :rolleyes:

another thing i am worried about is my socks with golf balls in ( my boobies), my Gp has said i will get this done on the nhs..as well as my tummy i believe i will need my legs done too .....................so i just hope they favour me that day i askxx

This is something Im really thinking of plucking up courage to go and see GP about. My BMI is still nearly 29 so dont think he will refer me yet, but my loose skin is really getting me down. Ive not let my poor hubby come near me for ages.

My lower tummy is the worst and it hangs down so low now. My upper tummy is ugly too, but its still containing some fat. My boobs have gone down from a 40J to a 34G, but they are so empty. I can literally pick up handfuls of loose skin off them. Its so depressing.

This is something Im really thinking of plucking up courage to go and see GP about. My BMI is still nearly 29 so dont think he will refer me yet, but my loose skin is really getting me down. Ive not let my poor hubby come near me for ages.

My lower tummy is the worst and it hangs down so low now. My upper tummy is ugly too, but its still containing some fat. My boobs have gone down from a 40J to a 34G, but they are so empty. I can literally pick up handfuls of loose skin off them. Its so depressing.

If you don't ask you won't know. Its worth asking Sam by the time you get to see the surgeon you may have lost the rest of your weight

My boobs have always been large and went south years ago ! I've only lost 3 and a half stone so far and can already fold them in half. By the time I'm at a healthy weight there'll be nothing left but empty skin.

I don't think Cambs PCT will fund either abdominoplasty, apronectomy or breast reconstruction (unless due to cancer) although they will do breast reduction as a friend had one done. I'll have to go private if I want any aesthetic surgery.

I can't find the latest PCT meeting notes which had details of the types of surgery they will fund, they've been removed for some reason. The only ones I can find now are from 2006 so are out of date.

We're just about to get new instructions about exceptional funding as the PCTs are losing the responsibility for doctors. Don't know when the changes are comng but the transition will mean things get very confused and messy if the previous 6 changes are anything to go by. In Northants its a don't bother asking for plastics usually, I've only known them fund tummy tucks, rarely, and then no lipo. Its th eusual lottery.

Hope you get better luck

M

My boobs have always been large and went south years ago ! I've only lost 3 and a half stone so far and can already fold them in half. By the time I'm at a healthy weight there'll be nothing left but empty skin.

Same here

My cup size is the only thing that hasn't grown over the last 20+ years so i'm hopeful there won't be much of a change there.....

We're just about to get new instructions about exceptional funding as the PCTs are losing the responsibility for doctors. Don't know when the changes are comng but the transition will mean things get very confused and messy if the previous 6 changes are anything to go by. In Northants its a don't bother asking for plastics usually, I've only known them fund tummy tucks, rarely, and then no lipo. Its th eusual lottery.

Hope you get better luck

M

Thats really useful to know M. Thanks. Do you know if it is a local change or a nationwide change?

Might be worth getting in quick then ladies if changes are on the cards.

your have to see your GP and see if he will refer you, I have only lost 46lbs and the i think most of them lbs are from my boobs, i'm hoping the weight loss in that area will now stop or a boob job i will have to go for to

Its a national change Sam and will require an amendment to the act of parliament I think or some such thats why its takes so long plus all the working out and changes to staffing etc. We expect it to start moving around April thats when our major changes usually run from.

M

my gp has said already when my bmi is HEALTHY they will refer me as long as i do not gain any weight within a yr... not even 1lb! they will do my tummy and my boobs but i will have to pay for my ugly arms! my boobs are the only place i have lose skin and my arms i just hate as there still hugggge! but each pct is different - no harm in asking! x

i can see me needing at least tummy, thighs and arms....and most likely a boob job wouldn't go amiss lol

though i still have a couple of years to go before i can consider that really i think.
I know my parents have already started a savings fund for it in case i cant get any funding, they are willing to help me pay for it all.

Hi,

I went to discuss a breast reduction with my gp and the requirements in sunderland are:

BMI of 28
bigger than an F cup and she did ask me my back size i'm 36 and that was ok
you need a contra indication - rash, uneven size boobs or back ache
mine is back ache and I need to have had physio which we both know wont work first.

Hope this helps, I didn't ask if I could have it just cos i'd lost lots of weight, but I did read somewhere if you had lost more than 6 stone that would help.

I need to lose 2 more stone to get my bmi down to 28, but i'm unsure about losing that much as i dunno how much all the excess skin weighs...anyhow will have to see how it goes..x

Hi hun i think this is worse part of weightloss surgery hey, im hoping for a tt after my surgery ( ive not had it yet) and as for my (.)(.) s im hoping to save as thats my lil treat for the weightloss, i hope they favour you hunni for plastics and i wish you all the best , oo well done on your weightloss!! brilliant! x

sounds promising good luck with that! xx

My advice like others have said is go and talk to your GP now. I had to have a BMI of >26, other complications and be at target at least 6 months, to get my TT funding. I also had to have my funding in place before they would let me see a surgeon.
Im not sure about boobies but if you go and talk to your GP, it will then be on your medical records too for the future. Hope everthing works out.

Back