• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What can I expect?

Lostinmy30's

Hi Guys,

So 2 weeks till my first NHS consultation with the bariatric surgeon at Gartnavel in Glasgow. Can anyone shed a lil light on what to expect? I have decided, after being dead set on a band originally, that whatever they recommend is good for me so if its a bypass so be it!
I put surgery on my cosmic order list about a month ago - pinned up at my work desk - along with getting a position at work same as my boss. So everyday i been looking at my list. And who would believe monday night my boss phoned me and told me shes leaving end of the month and wanted me to apply. I sent my cv wednesday and have my phone interview today:happy036: then I realised OMG my cosmic order is being fulfilled and I am ready to receive :D

I haven't been able to speak to any other local wls candidates BUT the girl at the pharmacy this morning said her Mum had her consulation and got her operation date for a month later so i remain positive!!!!

I am happy and thankful for my bud's here on Mini's your all my inspiration,:grouphugg:

Hi well each hospital works totally diff, so i cant say for sure what will happen at urs but this is how mine meant.

1) group session with 10 others showing us all aspects of surgery
2) App with consultant, talked bout my eating habits, health probs and how long i have been overweight, then told me what surgery would be best for me and told me what tests i had to have, in my case it was just an echo but the tests he could send you for are.

1. Psych
2.Bike
3. Sleep apanea testing
4. Endoscopy

I also had bloods taken at my app and had an ecg and then given a next app. Like i said each hospital work diff so urs might be completely diff.
He also has applied for my funding now as my pct say i have to have my consult and tests b4 funding can be applied for.
Hope this helps you and good luck for ur app xx

On my first meeting it was all the usual things, medical history why I was thinking of surgery what other options I had tried, family history etc etc.
They weighed me and talked me through the fact that they though bypass would be better for me than a band, as I am diabetic and from there things have just progressed.
Good luck anyway you will be fine

Jay xx

As Roch said all hospitals are different.

Mine was meeting with consultant surgeon and we discussed the 16 page questionnaire that I had completed and my medical history. He then suggested what type of operation would be right for me, said that I would have follow up appointments with psych, dietitian and I would see him or his registrar again. He then asked if I had any questions, so went through the ones that I had. He said I would be a good candidate and if I wish to continue on the route I had to write a letter of commitment.

I am now at the stage of waiting to be placed on the waiting list as I have another dietitian appointment scheduled and a weight loss target to aim for.

Good luck for your appointment.

Aw thankyou everybuddy I can see it varies from place to place alot so I am going to get my questions together and take along with my list of 'why i want bariatric surgery'...and keep up my positive focus :D

I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes - i discovered I am the first person in my doctor's surgery ever to be referred so they are all on tenter hooks to hear how it goes too lol

As Roch said all hospitals are different.

Mine was meeting with consultant surgeon and we discussed the 16 page questionnaire that I had completed and my medical history. He then suggested what type of operation would be right for me, said that I would have follow up appointments with psych, dietitian and I would see him or his registrar again. He then asked if I had any questions, so went through the ones that I had. He said I would be a good candidate and if I wish to continue on the route I had to write a letter of commitment.

I am now at the stage of waiting to be placed on the waiting list as I have another dietitian appointment scheduled and a weight loss target to aim for.

Good luck for your appointment.

Lol Chrystal I remember that long list of questions which had to be sent back....apparently St Georges have scrapped that for one of few pages shorter.

I think everyone above has summed up the process. Good luck with your first appointment.

BTW

I think the first appointment is a waste of time. If you have been well informed by your GP and had a discussion about it then the initial appointment is like a "are you sure session". I can't imagine anyone getting to that stage unsure or totally ignorant about what can be done, however saying this I've also been to a group session which was everyones 1st appointment and some people were not clued up at all. I found this strange because I thought everyone would do some type of research when going for major surgery. I bet that there is a correlation between those that research alot and the amount of weight loss they have.

First appointments with some trust are just stalling methods to keep within referral targets. Most info about the patient would be clear from the GP's note and if anything a phone consultation could take place.

Thats me back from mY appointment :D Mr Crozier...Mr Galloway's charming assistant - is going to check with Mr G if I need any further tests and will 'pop me on the waiting list' for a band which he assures me 'isn't long at all' so phone call next week from them to organise me .....

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA AM GETTING A BAND:bliss:

OMG I got my op date already

..Called back today again chasing to find out whether I was on the waiting list or not to be given my op date :D 9th Feb 2010

Feel like I have won the lottery..my heart has wings today..was my 35th birthday yesterday and this is definatley the best present ever !!!!!

Fantastic news!!
Good for you xx

Back