• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens to redundant stomach after surgery

Gail-michelle

likes to post
:eek: I think this thread is for bypassers only? but please feel free. Anyway more to the point I have been sat here thinking what on earth happens to the redundant stomach after surgery. It will be like bricking up a secret room in your house and never to be entered again:eek: does it shrivel up? It is obviously still alive through blood vesels and veins ect. Aaaahhhh poor shame, I bet the little pouch jelouses it saying Hey! look at me big stomach ime scoffing again:D:D:D :8855::8855::8855:G.M

I love your description of your new digestive tract it brought a smile to my face. I think it just sits there feeling a little redundant. How are you feeling after your op? Take care.

i was told it shrinks back but of course in bypassers its never really used again

It stays where it is and shrinks slightly. Also it still produces acid as it contains the acid producing portion of the stomach, however this is why you should be taking a acid reducing medication like Omeprazole or Lansoprazole to dampen down the amount of acid produced and therefore reducing the risk of ulcers.

So basically it just sits there reminiscing about the days when it used to get fed! hehehe

Glad to see you doing so well GM, I hope things go as smoothly for me with Mr Ammori in a couple of weeks..........(arrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh- sorry that is my current state of mind)

It stays where it is and shrinks slightly. Also it still produces acid as it contains the acid producing portion of the stomach, however this is why you should be taking a acid reducing medication like Omeprazole or Lansoprazole to dampen down the amount of acid produced and therefore reducing the risk of ulcers.

So basically it just sits there reminiscing about the days when it used to get fed! hehehe

Glad to see you doing so well GM, I hope things go as smoothly for me with Mr Ammori in a couple of weeks..........(arrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh- sorry that is my current state of mind)

Firstly Basil Ammori is a God and you will have no problems with him, lots of us here including me have had there ops with Mr Ammori and more crucially none of us seem to have had any post op issues.

Secondly - the old stomach and section of intestine does stay in there, i was told its to complicated to take it all out as its conected to nerves and blood vessels, so they leave it in and re join the intestine further down so the fluids it still produces can drain through !

I actualy feel brilliant in all aspects. My face seems to be going back to normal smallish and not puffy anymore. I hope I dont end up like that man in beatle juice:8855:the one with the shrunken head:eek: L.O.L G.M
Hi, GM
You sound so bright and bubbly so soon after your op.
I hope I get through mine (if it ever happens!!) as quickly as you.
Have you had any difficult times since your op?

Poor old tummy, 'please sir can I have some more' it wails!!! My big tummy talks sometimes now but directly post-op it yelled every time I ate anything, lol! My hubby and I used to joke that pre-op my tummy was an angry posh Frenchmen cursing me in french (gurgle-gurgle) when I ate peasant food (chips, crisps). Now I have a proper dignified Englishmen pouch, no extras please and it angers my pompus old tummy! Hahaha, laughs on him since he'll never have anymore food peasant or otherwise.:D:D:D

Ohhh phat girl you do make me laugh. I have a wicked sense of humour anyway, and sometimes I cant always be serious all the time but I do try so hard, then something tells me to lark about L.O.L :D
Poor old tummy, 'please sir can I have some more' it wails!!! My big tummy talks sometimes now but directly post-op it yelled every time I ate anything, lol! My hubby and I used to joke that pre-op my tummy was an angry posh Frenchmen cursing me in french (gurgle-gurgle) when I ate peasant food (chips, crisps). Now I have a proper dignified Englishmen pouch, no extras please and it angers my pompus old tummy! Hahaha, laughs on him since he'll never have anymore food peasant or otherwise.:D:D:D

Bloody hell mixman I would have been at goal if they had took mine out L.O.L Gail-michelle.x
With the sleeve gastrectomy, like I had, they take out the redundant part of the stomach. So, in one way, I feel a bit of me is missing, but on the other hand, that's definitely some weight I lost straight away :D

Mine have a bloody good natter to each other in the morning and it can at times be embarrasing if im in a meeting. Its really funny when people say have you not had any breakfast this morning and i say yes one stomach has but i think its the other one protesting that it hasnt. lol

With the sleeve gastrectomy, like I had, they take out the redundant part of the stomach. So, in one way, I feel a bit of me is missing, but on the other hand, that's definitely some weight I lost straight away :D

That is correct, with a sleeve they remove 3/4 of your stomach and bin it. I asked my surgeon when he came to see me next day what happened to the stapled off part of my stomach. He pointed to a dressing on the left side of my tummy and said "we pulled it out through there and threw it away. Why, do you want it back?"
I said no, definitely NOT it's just that with the bypassers the stomach is left in even if it's out of commission. But not with a sleeve. 75%, goneski. I don't think the stomach as an organ weighs very much, especially as you've been Nil by mouth for 24 hours and on a pre op diet leading up to it. Post op I was very swollen around the middle and it didn't look any smaller, the scales didn't show a loss for about a week when the swelling went down. Now I am over the moon.

Back