• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whats meds are you on after ur bypass

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
well i got my perscription today from my doctors, he has given me LANSOPRAZOLE 30MG GASTRO-RESISTANT, FERROUS SULPHATE, ALSO FORCEVAL (not takin the forceval as i can defo not swallow them, stickin wit my boots multivits with iron), last time i got percribed some calcium chewable tablets, should i ring him and ask him for them or at least enquire why i havent been given them this time. xx

I WAS on Forceval but I was having a reaction to them we think so have stopped them and I am now on regular good multivits/minerals.
I was also on Ferrous Fumerate but my GP stopped them as my levels were high, so he has stopped them for now.
I am also on calcichew and Lanzaprozole. My GP wanted to stop both, he said that I dont need the Lanza and I only need the Calci as long as Im on the Lanza, I argued the point stating the surgeons wishes and he said he would leave it as it is...for now...!!!
I understand the stopping the iron and B12 injections, both levels are almost too high so it makes sense but he seems clueless about the rest of it, cept the Forceval obviously due to the reaction I had to it.
I contacted my surgeons secretary to ask her to talk to him for me about it and am waiting on the reply.
Contact her if you are concerned hon, I can give you her email address if you like, we both have Mr Li and so the secretary is the same too.
Steph xx

Im actually already taking the meds you are usually given after as my tests at the start showed I was already B12, Vit D and Iron deficient. Best thing to to phone your hospital to see what they think you should be having. The forceval is actually easier than you think to swallow I have trouble swallowing pills but as its so smooth is just goes down.
You should at least check that its ok to have the other multi vit instead.

Im also already on lanzaprozole as my other medications give me reflux. Think I might be falling apart, I take 12 meds a day!

Last edited:
I was told when your pretty new to your op that if you buy vitamins over the counter that they wasnt strong enough for what we need in our intake of vits. But anyway each to there own Ide say. But heres my list and I have never missed 1 day in nearly 12 month. Calcichew, Tiny Iron tablet, Perfectil (for hair,skin,nails) Forceval, B12, and lastly lanzaprozole.

I was already taking Calcichew-D3 pre-op as I'm vitamin D deficient and on leaving hospital I was given Lansoprazole (FasTab) which I have to take daily for 4 weeks. I also use Berocca as my multi-vitamin and my GP has just started me on ferrous fumarate (Galfer SF syrup). He's going to do a blood test to find out if/when I need B12 injections.

Those of you taking lansoprazole long term, can I ask what dosage you're on please?

I'd also be interested to know whether those taking lansoprazole long term have suffered greater hair loss than those who don't take it. I've also noticed some of you are taking products such as Perfectil for hair/nails etc which is nothing more than a multi-vitamin (which you're already taking) and is very cleverly marketed for it's target consumer - women! ;)

It is possible to overdose on certain vitamins so just be aware of exactly what you're taking :)

Last edited:
thanks everyone.

steph - i was on Ferrous Fumerate but when i saw kath at the spire i told her i dont take them as they really made me constipated, so she said she wil write to my doctor and tell him what i should be on and above im assuming is what she wrote to him al except the calichew ones (which i actually like lol)
yes please send me her email so i can email her and enquire, thanks huni xx

twiggie - my lansoprazole are - LANSOPRAZOLE 30MG GASTRO - RESISTANT CAPSULES, one to b taken twice a day, 30-60mins before food. the fastab i had after my surgery were some strawberry ones and my gosh i hated them lol. xx

thank you everyone. xxxx

twiggie - my lansoprazole are - LANSOPRAZOLE 30MG GASTRO - RESISTANT CAPSULES, one to b taken twice a day, 30-60mins before food.

Wow that's a huge dose!!! :eek:

Do you have any gastric/acid problem other than the bypass that this is prescribed for? Usual dose is 30mg once a day for 4 weeks post-op then maintenance dose of 15mg daily for those who continue to need it.

I was already taking Calcichew-D3 pre-op as I'm vitamin D deficient and on leaving hospital I was given Lansoprazole (FasTab) which I have to take daily for 4 weeks. I also use Berocca as my multi-vitamin and my GP has just started me on ferrous fumarate (Galfer SF syrup). He's going to do a blood test to find out if/when I need B12 injections.

Those of you taking lansoprazole long term, can I ask what dosage you're on please?

I'd also be interested to know whether those taking lansoprazole long term have suffered greater hair loss than those who don't take it. I've also noticed some of you are taking products such as Perfectil for hair/nails etc which is nothing more than a multi-vitamin (which you're already taking) and is very cleverly marketed for it's target consumer - women! ;)

It is possible to overdose on certain vitamins so just be aware of exactly what you're taking :)

Hi . I am on Omeprazole (same as Lansoprazole) and have suffered terrible hair loss, but whos to say if that wouldnt have been the case anyway xx

Hi . I am on Omeprazole (same as Lansoprazole) and have suffered terrible hair loss, but whos to say if that wouldnt have been the case anyway xx

This is what I'm interested to find out as one of the side effects of lansoprazole is hair loss. Both drugs are PPIs in the same group but omeprazole is an older drug, slightly less effective but cheaper.

Do you have any gastric/acid problem other than the bypass that this is prescribed for? Usual dose is 30mg once a day for 4 weeks post-op then maintenance dose of 15mg daily for those who continue to need it.

hey hun as far as i know, no i dont have a gastric/acid problem, but i have read the instructions and its say inside to be taken for 4 weeks. i didnt realise it was such a high dosages, when steph send me our surgeons sec email adress i will def be askin about this. x

hey hun as far as i know, no i dont have a gastric/acid problem, but i have read the instructions and its say inside to be taken for 4 weeks. i didnt realise it was such a high dosages, when steph send me our surgeons sec email adress i will def be askin about this. x

I certainly think it's worth asking about this as all too often we just accept what we are told and, no matter what people think, doctors can sometimes make mistakes. Not forgetting the bariatric team doesn't have access to our full medical records, only the summary provided to them on referral, so it might be worth discussing it with your GP too.

Let us know what they say as I'm sure other people here will be interested to know too xx

I am 14months post op and Im on lasop's, iron, calcichew and forceval. I am now also taking an over the counter skin hair and nails supplement x

Can I just ask are all these medications disolved in water? Or are you allowed to swallow tablets?

Can I just ask are all these medications disolved in water? Or are you allowed to swallow tablets?

The lansoprazole is orodispersible so dissolves on your tongue, the ferrous fumarate (iron) comes in a SF syrup, Calcichew-D3 is chewable and the multi-vitamin I use (Berocca) is also dispersible.

I've been advised not to take tablets for the first 4 weeks so I also have all my other medication in either liquid or dispersible format too.

Forgot to mention I also take Aloe Vera juice which is highly beneficial for bypass patients.

Last edited:

I think all surgeons recommend something different. I'm on 30mg of Lansoprazole twice a day for six months then once a day for the rest of my life! I've never had any gastic/acid problems, it just what the surgeon says he wants us on.

I think all surgeons recommend something different. I'm on 30mg of Lansoprazole twice a day for six months then once a day for the rest of my life! I've never had any gastic/acid problems, it just what the surgeon says he wants us on.

Oh absolutely, and I certainly wasn't suggesting people should stop taking any medication prescribed to them. I was simply curious as to why some people are taking quite large doses over a long term period. Obviously there must be a reason for it but knowing me I'd be asking them why ;)

It's my understanding, from discussions with my consultant & GP, the reason we're prescribed this medication is to reduce the production of gastric acid while the stomach is recovering from surgery, otherwise it could prevent healing and possibly cause leakage of stomach contents into the abdomen.

I've been advised I need to take it for 4 weeks, unless I have a recurrence of oesophageal reflux (due to my hernia) then I would need to continue on a lower (15mg) maintenance dose.

The lansoprazole is orodispersible so dissolves on your tongue, the ferrous fumarate (iron) comes in a SF syrup, Calcichew-D3 is chewable and the multi-vitamin I use (Berocca) is also dispersible.

I've been advised not to take tablets for the first 4 weeks so I also have all my other medication in either liquid or dispersible format too.

Forgot to mention I also take Aloe Vera juice which is highly beneficial for bypass patients.

No-one's said anything to me about not taking my tablets whole ? They were happy for me to take them whole in hospital too.

Interested in what the benefits are of the Aloe Vera juice ??

Interested in what the benefits are of the Aloe Vera juice ??

This is an extract from some literature I found when I was researching it pre-op...

There are many benefits to aloe vera juice. When aloe vera juice is taken twice daily in 2-4 oz doses it is said that it can help a person to maintain good health. Aloe vera juice is known to help to detoxify the body and cleanse the colon. The detoxification properties of the juice also work to detoxify the blood stream.

It is also said that aloe vera juice could benefit a person with intestinal or stomach problems. It should aid in the healing of ulcers and help the digestive tract to work smoothly. It is also said that aloe vera juice can improve circulation. The aloe helps dilate the capillaries and aid in cell growth.

Aloe vera juice also has many benefits that aloe vera gel does. It acts as a antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agent, preventing illness. The overall effect of taking aloe vera juice regularly can be a feeling of energy and health.

The tablets v liquid argument is no doubt another area where individual surgeons differ. I hate taking tablets anyway so when given the option of having everything in soluble/liquid format, I'll take it! :D

Im the same as Galm - 2 lansopz for 6 months post op, then one for life :)

Back