• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where do places get their names?

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
ok, near where i live, we have a gallows corner, self explanatory, they used to hang people there. We also have a place called, one tree hill, also self explanatory. Well today, i was happily driving my coach through the lovely Essex country side, and drove through a place called . . . wait for it . . . . Fingeringhoe :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Really? omg! how on earth did they come up with that name? well i never!! bahahaha :8855:

I'm originally from the north east and near Durham there is "Pity Me" and "No Place", and of course there is Twatt in Scotland

and while googling I found this link to odd named towns

http://www.ashton-under-lyne.com/placenames.htm

Caren

Not as bad as some in the USA

Attachments

• db_dicklick1.jpg
    db_dicklick1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 70
  • wetwang_uk1256084647.jpg
    wetwang_uk1256084647.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 56
Worcester has got Wyre Piddle ,Upper Piddle and Lower Piddle.
They have got their own brewery that serves beers called
Piddle in the Hole, Piddle in the Wind, Piddle in the Dark, Piddle in the Sun and Piddle in the Snow.
And it's got its own watercourse called Piddle Brook
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

And how about 2 roads by me called Mincing Lane and Bell End Lane the area is also called Bell End :eek::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Piddle in the Hole, Piddle in the Wind, Piddle in the Dark, Piddle in the Sun and Piddle in the Snow.

And how about 2 roads by me called Mincing Lane and Bell End Lane the area is also called Bell End :eek::rotflmao::rotflmao:
bahahahaha :D x

Just up the road from me there's a place called idle that has a working men's club!! You couldn't make it up xx

Looking on that list - Cockup Bottom

lamornamiss said:

I see to sell piddle in my pub.. :) x

Mincing lane ...love it haha

I'm originally from the north east and near Durham there is "Pity Me" and "No Place", and of course there is Twatt in Scotland

I know Twatt in Scotland - she's my best mate (and she's going to kill me for that lol).

Down here we have 'Brown Willy; Cheesewring; Grandma's Gusset; Skinners Bottom; Mousehole; Indian Queens; Little Egypt; Playing Place; Booby's Beach; Cocksbarrow; Maudlin; Hells Bay and No-Mans land. I'm sure there are many more lol.

I live quite near Lower Dicker, there is a an Upper Dicker too. Also a Dicker Wood!! lol.

I remember as a kid when on holiday going through a place called 'Shitterton'.... and there is a place called 'Ugley' out in Cambs way I think! .....
Bell end road though.... Hahahahaha!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

theres got to be a skin road somewhere, wouldnt want to live at number 4 hahaha :D xxx

I almost bought a house in Northants a few years ago, the address was No.1 Bell End!

One for us fatties. BROADBOTTOM :D
We go through here on the way to manchester

Back