• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whilst recovering

Mr Doo

Whilst recovering in hospital on monday after having gastric bypass, i was talking to other surgical patients ( non for weight loss ) & conversation got round to our individual surgery
Mine came up & they were shocked that i was'nt doubled over in agony/pain!!
i was asked a question of " how big do you think you look ?", this stumped me after careful consideration my answer was " not as big as i look !!!!".
So does everyone/anyone feel like your a skinny kid in a large body or not ?,
could this be slightly body dismorphic or just plain old denial !!
love to hear others views on themselves

I think I have body dysmorphia!! I think I'm alot smaller than I am and it isn't until I see a full length picture of myself or i catch a glimpse of myself in a window that I realise how big I acctually am, I never look in full length mirrors so i kinda do forget how big iam sometimes and need abit of a reality check... But I definatly feel like a skinny person stuck in a fat persons body :(

I think I have body dysmorphia!! I think I'm alot smaller than I am and it isn't until I see a full length picture of myself or i catch a glimpse of myself in a window that I realise how big I acctually am, I never look in full length mirrors so i kinda do forget how big iam sometimes and need abit of a reality check... But I definatly feel like a skinny person stuck in a fat persons body :(

Exactly how I think/feel - when I see pictures I shock myself as I don't feel as big as I am!

About 12years ago I lost 4 stone in 6 months through dieting and was at a healthy weight - I'm now that 4 stone heavier plus a further 3 stone. Anyway I remember fitting and wearing size 14 to 16 clothes when ever I looked in a mirror I still saw fat me! I never recognised that I was thin - so I can't win either way lol.

Although this time after my bypass I'm going to try and remember to look past what I see when I'm losing weight and that I will be getting smaller!

Count me in too!!! While I knew how big I was clothes size number-wise, I would not be able to picture how big I was until I saw me in a mirror.

I'd then by shocked and horrified ...... but then slip back into denial !!

Excellently put - exactly how I feel too.

It's a trick of the mind. I look at pictures where I'd already lost a stone and my mind reels because I don't remember looking that big even in the same photo before.

I was convinced at my biggest that I actually wasn't that big, but looking back I couldn't do loads of things comfortably, you know sit in a plane seat without ensuring a family member was next to me to allow me to seat share!! In my head I was acceptable size and even convinced myself going into see the dietician that they would say no as I wasn't that big!! Now I have lost loads of weight I know I have but I can't get y head around it still, can't seem to accept it and I don't know what to say when people come up to me and say I look fantastic. Its strange what goes on in our heads :)

Maybe I'm a bit odd but I could see how big I was.... Totally depressing :(. The problem I have is that after a seven & half stone loss I still only see the original me!

Ha ha, this is why full length pictures are not allowed (at the moment!) I know I'm big but in a picture I'm huge! Lol x

I am just in plain old denial :D I like to think I look small for the weight I am but then I think to myself.. hang on a second I'm a size 26.. and Its even worse when somebody is in work saying omg I weigh TEN stone? I need to go on a diet and I'm sat there thinking.. **** I weigh twice that much and then some - I also find pictures of myself every now and again and again think - Christ that can't be me! I try and look at myself with no clothes on every now and again just to remind myself how big I am!

Maybe I'm a bit odd but I could see how big I was.... Totally depressing :(. The problem I have is that after a seven & half stone loss I still only see the original me!

I've lost just over 10 stone and I still see the pre op me when I look in the mirror. Even though by my clothes I know I'm much smaller. I think it takes a long time for our heads to catch up with our bodies.

Yep .. I have come down from a size 36 to a 22/24 so my logic recognises that of course I have lost weight but the self image that I just can't avoid because our bedroom is wall to wall mirrors just doesn't reflect that loss?!

Bit of both really, used to get a shock when I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror pre op. That was because I was bigger than I thought. Now nearly 6 stone down, I still get a shock. Now because I'm smaller.

You know how they say "a camera puts pounds on you " !
Well so do mirrors & reflections, I have found out today ;)

Back