• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve to Bypass

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Some will remember me from 2011 and 2012 and some newer members won't so brief recap:

1. I was sleeved April 2012 under the NHS at a hospital in London.

2. My highest ever weight was 23 st 8 lbs (330 lbs) although by my op I had lost 3 stone and got myself down to 20 st 7 lbs.

3. I was a vociferous advocate of the sleeve *prior* to being sleeved but my own personal experience has since been disappointing.

4. My post operative life post sleeve has not been plain sailing. Two months after being sleeved I was took voluntary redundancy and chose to move from London to Devon.

5. The move to Devon did not work out and found myself moving back to London late 2012 and living in digs for a while. In fact I think since being sleeved I have moved a total of 5 times from one rented place to another and changed GP 3 times.

6. However more than all the life disruption I have suspected from quite early on that my sleeve was too big. I remember in Week 4 post sleeve when I was starting "mushy" food I tried the cottage cheese test and found I was able to consume one whole 300 g tub *easily* ....

....i did not immediately scream "help! help! my sleeve's too big" right then as I did not *generally* consume that quantity -- I was sticking to between 100 g and 200 g most of the time and I was losing weight .....so why argue?

7. I also had a barium X-ray swallow on my sleeve at 6 weeks post sleeve and thought my sleeve looked quite big ....in fact it looked like what an X ray of a 4 year old "relaxed" sleeve looks like (but I did not know that then).

8. Still i did not query it at the time because I was not absolutely sure and didn't really know what other sleeve X-rays wd look like ....(I have since done more research and now know mine was too big at even 6 weeks post op) ....but still i did not complain or query it because I was losing weight -- why query anything when it seems to be working ??? (of course my sleeve at that point was still swollen on the inside recovering from major surgery so of course I was losing weight)

9. Turns out my original surgeon is not a huge fan of sleeves -- he did try twice to persuade me to have the bypass but I refused ....I thought I knew best having read all the research blah blah ....and I wanted to be a "super slinky sleever" success ....but that was not to be ....

10. Turns out that a few other patients also referred to the Whittington like me who *wanted* a sleeve when they found out Mr Sufi is so reluctant to do sleeves on the very obese ....they went and got themselves transferred to other hospitals and got "skinny sleeves" with surgeons who do prefer the sleeve (mostly at UCLH) ....i came across a couple of them at Whittington meetings or other WLS and sleeve communities during my year post op journey.

So ......

11. The lowest weight I ever managed to achieve with my "baggy sleeve" was 15 stone 0 lbs (210 lbs / 95 Kgs) early November 2012 .....but my body wd not stay that weight -- although what I was eating did not change at all from November to December I then experienced a ten pound "bounce back" regain.

12. My body has now settled at 100 Kgs (it fluctuates from 15.10 to 15.12) within a pound or two.

13. After a year of further diet attempts trying to get back down below 15 stone I have given up -- well I have given up on the "diet yoyo" .....I feel in the same place stuck at just below 16 stone as I used to feel at 23 stone when all diet attempts returned me to 23 stone. I have "given up" the prospect of any further weight loss with my sleeve and decided to go "bypass or bust" !!!

So ...... (soz for long post !) .....

1.(a) I took opinions from another bariatric surgeon and with me being left at 100 Kgs with a BMI of 35 it is worth going thru a second surgery (I still hAve bad back issues and osteo arthritis in my knees and hips due to the weight I am carrying).

2.(a) My new surgeon's opinion of my current sleeve was that its "crap" (he didn't quite use that word -- but lots of techy words relating to my leaky valves and excess sleeve size) ....

2.(b) Remember above I said that 4 weeks post op I cd consume a 300 g pot of cottage cheese? My new "adult sleeve" capacity is between 400 g and 600 g....(in fact on a new "cottage cheese test" I think I cd actually manage 3 pots but got bored after 2)

3.(a) The new surgeon is Michael Van den Bossche and I hope to be getting a bypass with him March 2014 (got to do a bit of financial juggling first and get thru Xmas this year).

I can't alter my profile yet (am on the mobile app) -- will have to get to an internet cafe in a week or so to alter the details in my profile.

P.S. Since my journey with my sleeve has been so disappointing I have taken part in various other forums and online groups in the past year (some of them sleeve groups and some of them support groups for "revision and regain" after WLS) ... when I see newbie early post op sleevers posting "Help. I can barely manage 25 grams / 50 grams / less than 100 g" ..... I *know* my sleeve was wrong from the start. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Sorry to hear of your disappointment Sharon

I think this says more about your surgeon than the sleeve. I love mine!

Lots of luck on your new journey x

I think this says more about your surgeon than the sleeve. I love mine!

I know lots of people love their sleeves ....I see it so often online in various groups I take part in ...."I love me sleeve" they jump up and down announcing.

Unfortunately quite early on I knew I was never going to be saying "I love my sleeve" .... I just about tolerate it / try to accept it and do the best I can with it ....just has been difficult and never quite enough.

Oh dear, you poor thing.

I don't mean to sound ignorant as I don't know you or your story but if your problems have been caused by an error with first surgery, can't you go back to that hospital? I can understand you not wanting same surgeon, but surely they should take responsibility.

Good luck anyway x

can't you go back to that hospital? I can understand you not wanting same surgeon, but surely they should take responsibility.

I think there is very little point. The NHS now has a policy of one WLS per lifetime and no revision unless there are major problems (like hernia or bowel obstruction).

I did wonder at 6 weeks post op when I saw my barium X-ray swallow whether I should question its size but what wd they have done? They wd have told me to stick to the post op diet and get on with it ...which I was doing at that time and I was losing weight (even with a slightly large sleeve).

One year post op my bariatric dietician did suggest an option for me might be to get a gastric band to add more restriction .....but to pay privately for the band.

I ended up deciding after many many months of thinking, researching to get a bypass with a fobi ring from Michael Van Den Bossche.

The fobi ring is meant to prevent stretching of the stoma.

After saving 50% of my salary for a number of months I am a few months away from being able to afford it.

Me -- who has never been good at saving in my life (still renting at 45 yrs old) -- suddenly when I want something this badly have found that I can save -- for something I want more than anything.

You really have been through the mill. I hope that you get your new op soon. I have to say that you have given me food for thought. I'm being sleeved on the 10.12.13 in Leeds, Nuffield. After making the decision to go ahead, I feel concerned. How will I know that it has worked ? How will I know it's been done correctly ? Really, the list of questions in my head seem to be endless. Good luck for 2014

I think there is very little point. The NHS now has a policy of one WLS per lifetime and no revision unless there are major problems (like hernia or bowel obstruction).

I did wonder at 6 weeks post op when I saw my barium X-ray swallow whether I should question its size but what wd they have done? They wd have told me to stick to the post op diet and get on with it ...which I was doing at that time and I was losing weight (even with a slightly large sleeve).

One year post op my bariatric dietician did suggest an option for me might be to get a gastric band to add more restriction .....but to pay privately for the band.

I ended up deciding after many many months of thinking, researching to get a bypass with a fobi ring from Michael Van Den Bossche.

The fobi ring is meant to prevent stretching of the stoma.

After saving 50% of my salary for a number of months I am a few months away from being able to afford it.

Me -- who has never been good at saving in my life (still renting at 45 yrs old) -- suddenly when I want something this badly have found that I can save -- for something I want more than anything.

Good Luck Sharon :) Shame you have to do this but we are here to make the very best of life & if this is what you need to do to be happy, then so be it :) x

I am sorry to hear what you have been going through. On a positive note, you are around 8st less than at your heaviest which is a massive step in the right direction :D wishing you all the best Sharon xxx

Thanks both Twinkle and Flutterby.

Yes at least I am 8 stone lighter than I was .....and also having been thru WLS once I am determined to make the best of my second chance.

A lot of non WLS friends might question whether it is really necessary for me to go thru a 2nd procedure -- they are often full of "encouraging" positive words "you've done so well and look so much better than you did etc" ..... I have to actually stop and *point* out sometimes that I am still considerably fat !!

I attach a few photos. I know that when stood up and breathing in / wearing nice clothes I don't look "too bad" (although they are size 18/20 clothes) .....but underneath the clothes I know how much flab there is.

P.S. some of the flabby pics were taken after recent varicose vein surgery + leg was bandaged (its fine now).

P.p.S Sometimes it is difficult to get scale in pics without other people in but my waist is 45" (bust is about the same).

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 394
  • ForumRunner_20131020_205012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131020_205012.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 151
  • ForumRunner_20131020_205035.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131020_205035.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20131020_205107.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131020_205107.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 224
  • ForumRunner_20131020_205140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131020_205140.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 456
Good luck Sharon. I think you know what is best for you. WLS is so different for everyone. The DS, Band, Sleeve and Bypass can all work amazingly well but they can all also fail to get us where we want to be. Sometimes we are lucky and we pick the right one for us straight off the bat. Sometimes though it takes another go. Hopefully a revision will give you what you need to get to the weight you want to be.

I think there is very little point. The NHS now has a policy of one WLS per lifetime and no revision unless there are major problems (like hernia or bowel obstruction). I did wonder at 6 weeks post op when I saw my barium X-ray swallow whether I should question its size but what wd they have done?

You may be right, but what if there *is* a chance? The only reason you need revision surgery is because of the first op. I know you've been through a lot and researched a lot, but isn't it worth registering your dissatisfaction. If nothing else, it could stop someone else going through the same thing. Whatever you choose, I, and the others of this forum, will provide encouragement and support. You are showing an amazing strength of character and you have done amazingly to lose this much considering the limited restriction you've had. I wish you lots of success xx

You may be right, but what if there *is* a chance? The only reason you need revision surgery is because of the first op. I know you've been through a lot and researched a lot, but isn't it worth registering your dissatisfaction. If nothing else, it could stop someone else going through the same thing

I spent 18 months waiting for my ffirst op on the NHS -- I don't want to spend another 18 months.

I have registered my dissatisfaction with my sleeve but that hospital has not offered to do anything.

I have actually lost faith slightly in my original provider and my current personal choice is to go private for my 2nd op -- it will be easier and quicker -- I will get the op I want when I want it.

Hi Sharon sorry to hear that. I had a bypass and we have chatted before in the early days and not so long ago. I am sitting at just below 15st, got down to 14st 5 but some went back on as I plateaud out I was 2 years post in August still a size 18-20 and that is it for me no further. The hospital have discharged me and are pleased with my weight loss, they also said that they wouldn't have epected any more than this it was a safe healthy weight loss and I am fit and well, but I always was even at my biggest apart from the sleep apnoea which I found out about along the way. We are very similar concerning the weight we have come from and where we have got too. I would have loved to have been smaller but its not for my body, I understand what you are saying just make sure they can do what they say. xxx

Hi Chrisa

I know what you mean -- this *might* be my body's natural set weight. My bariatric dietician did also suggest this to me and warned me that weight loss after a 2nd weight loss surgery is not guaranteed.

If I was perfectly healthy at my current weight I wd not bother with 2nd op but I am having weekly osteopath appointments due to my back being under strain from carrying this weight and I still wear 2 layers of tubi grip bandages on both knees every day.

At the moment my weekly osteopath appointments are being paid for by private medical insurance (which comes with my job) .....it occurs to me that when I am 65 and not working for city law firms I won't have private medical cover any longer .....and I probably won't be wanting to pay for weekly osteo appointments.

Therefore I really want to try and lose sufficiently more to improve my health so that I no longer have the back and knee problems.

I spent 18 months waiting for my ffirst op on the NHS -- I don't want to spend another 18 months. I have registered my dissatisfaction with my sleeve but that hospital has not offered to do anything. I have actually lost faith slightly in my original provider and my current personal choice is to go private for my 2nd op -- it will be easier and quicker -- I will get the op I want when I want it.

I completely understand. I'm glad the hospital know you're not happy and I'm not surprised you've lost faith.

I'm amazed at how well you've managed to budget and save. Good luck for this op. Hope it works out for you x

I have registered my dissatisfaction with my sleeve but that hospital has not offered to do anything .

The other thing is that according to my original NHS hospital I am a clinical success -- having lost more than 50% of my excess weight.

I think when I reached 15.0 i had achieved 70% EWL .....but since my small regain its now about 65%.

However the hospital views anyone who achieves *more* than 50% EWL as a success and writes them off / discharges them saying ...."Ah well yes that is about what we expect with a sleeve".

If I was registering dissatisfaction only having lost 20% -- 40% EWL possibly they might listen ...but as I have ticked their boxes of achieving more than 50% they don't see there is a problem -- its only me who is not completely satisfied with the size of my sleeve (not them -- they think it has done its job as long as it has achieved the 50% !!).

And I'm too tired to do battle with the NHS any longer !!

I'm so sorry Sharonimo. You must be so fed up. I hope it didn't make you feel worse with my incessant questions. I'm just a curious soul. I hope things start looking up soon.

Good luck with the new op and yes if I had the medical problems you have then I would probably do the same, fortunately I have never had much problem in this area. Hope it all works out for ya xxx The doc should put it right xx

Back