• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why we self medicate using food.

Big an Bouncy

We all have a problem with food.We wouldnt be on here otherwise.It is a drug to some,a comfort to others and a punishment to a few.We use it as a control,friend,enemy.If we ate to feed a natural hunger and survive we wouldnt be fat.We know all these things,we are not greedy pigs wanting to stuff our faces to oblivion.We have complex reasons for our relationships with food.It all stems somewhere,mine in abuse as a child.I comfot ate and then wouldnt pass motions.I remember feeling a great control for not going to the loo.A sort of reverse bulimia if you like.It wasnt recognised of course back in the 60s and it has taken me many years to understand these problems and get my eating/bowel condition under control.I feel better for talking about it and wish I had done years ago.Maybe I wouldnt have half the probs I have now.Are there triggers to your eating patterns that you recognise?

I think my comfort eating started when my mum and dad split. Days would go by and it was porridge for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

When my mum went out to work and we became Latch Key Kids. She'd feel guilty and instead of having 1 or 2 biscuits my brother and I would have 4 or 6 :eek:.

I think I ate because my mum was at work and I was bored. I also so never got over my dad leaving, I was a bit of a daddys girl. There wasn't anyone at home to tell me not to have a extra slice of bread.

My mum use to leave for work before I was up for school and return about 6-7pm shattered :mad:.

Mines I am sure was having alot of loss in my life, mum dying when I was 4yrs dad when I was 16yrs sister when I was 30 and two close friends in between. coupled with an abusive male relative caused the start of my probs with food I am sure.

Jay xx

We all have a problem with food.We wouldnt be on here otherwise.It is a drug to some,a comfort to others and a punishment to a few.We use it as a control,friend,enemy.If we ate to feed a natural hunger and survive we wouldnt be fat.We know all these things,we are not greedy pigs wanting to stuff our faces to oblivion.We have complex reasons for our relationships with food.It all stems somewhere,mine in abuse as a child.I comfot ate and then wouldnt pass motions.I remember feeling a great control for not going to the loo.A sort of reverse bulimia if you like.It wasnt recognised of course back in the 60s and it has taken me many years to understand these problems and get my eating/bowel condition under control.I feel better for talking about it and wish I had done years ago.Maybe I wouldnt have half the probs I have now.Are there triggers to your eating patterns that you recognise?

Im not going to be popular here but i feel that saying we all have a problem with food otherwise we wouldnt beon here otherwise is a very sweeping statement.
I wasnt an emotional eater, food certainly wasnt a drug to me invariably i could take it or leave it and it certainly wasnt a punishment. yes i could overeat at times on occasions like christmas etc
I was a 10lb 5oz baby but only 17inches long and had always been big my mum was very carful about my diet to the point where i wouldnt eat sweets cakes etc and my weight puzzeled dr's along the way and for years as a child i saw a dietition. It was only when i saw the endocrainologist last year and the first thing he asked me was what weight i was as a baby but more so how long i was and he then pointed out that genetically my make up was all out of kilter as my bloods were fantastic that he surgested a gastric bypass as my metabolism was all over the place. He said it wasnt so much about what or how much i ate but what my body absorbed. He also went on at that point to say that although most people would lose 70-80% of their excess weight with a bypass he was sure that i would lose 100%. because it would be correcting a genetic defect in effect. even now at 10 stone 6oz and wearing a size 10 my BMI is in effect still in the overweight catagory because of my height but i really am tiny.

i think phatgirl would vouch for me that i really have found getting used to my new plumbing so easy i havent suffered from any head hunger, felt deprived of anything and actually enjoy food more now than i ever did before.

im not saying this to have a go but for 45 years i could not understand why when i put so little in i was the size that i was even when i resorted to lipotrim and stalled for 8 weeks despite sticking to it 101% for me it was a relief to know that there was feasable reason.

good luck with your journey im sure you will be sucessful having addressed yr issues.
hc

Didnt mean to make a sweeping comment and of course there will always be people with medical probs that contribute to their weight.If I have offended anyone apologies.I have 3 sons one a normal height/weight range.one 6'8'' 22st and one 3'10'' 8st aged 30.All were under 10lb born and average length.They each have to watch what they eat.I know they eat when stressed/worried as a lot of us do.You are indeed fortunate to have had a relatively easy journey.Which emphasises how many of us need to get our heads right before surgery because of underlying problems.If you are unhappy about something in your life,it wont go away with surgery alone.Totally understand were you are coming from and dont feel you are having a go,we are all here to speak our minds!x

Didnt mean to make a sweeping comment and of course there will always be people with medical probs that contribute to their weight.If I have offended anyone apologies.I have 3 sons one a normal height/weight range.one 6'8'' 22st and one 3'10'' 8st aged 30.All were under 10lb born and average length.They each have to watch what they eat.I know they eat when stressed/worried as a lot of us do.You are indeed fortunate to have had a relatively easy journey.Which emphasises how many of us need to get our heads right before surgery because of underlying problems.If you are unhappy about something in your life,it wont go away with surgery alone.Totally understand were you are coming from and dont feel you are having a go,we are all here to speak our minds!x

Couldnt agree more with you. its why the psycology assessment pre op is so important.

yeh mines deffinatly comfort eating. when ever i argue with my boyfriend id walk to sainsburys and buy chocolate moose and cookies and crispy cakes and eat them all and then a bottle of coke and wine gums. id feel sick and bloated but i just couldnt stop my self. Ive stopped it since ive been on the slimming world diet but i worry if we have a big argument I will be on the walk to sainsburys and no one will beable to stop me!

Whats in the opposite direction to sainsburys? maybe a park or something how about next time you have an argument you go for a good healthy walk first, feel the benifit of that and then askyourself do i really need to go to sainsburys. nows the time to try and change your responces to stress and comfort eating before surgery.
HTH
hc

yes keep the head in good shape, re what u wants to achieve. Keep ppl n things at distance that mess ur plan up in any way

Back