• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SAM55

Has anyone with experience of ME/Sensory Processing difficulties/Autistic Spectrum found that their sensory processing difficulties have got worse since having WLS?

I noticed my sensory processing was a lot worse after surgery - it started following Swine Flu/ME in 2011 and hoped it would settle down once the trauma was over. It didn't. I have been doing some research on management and came across some dietary info around casein and gluten.

I have had gluten issues both neurological and digestive (but not at the same time) before but eventually became able to manage small amounts with both. I haven't however had any problems ever with dairy and love milk. Since WLS I drink a lot more as there are many other drinks I can no longer tolerate/enjoy.

I am going to try exclusion or at least major cutting back but interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences, thoughts, info please? Thanks

As you know I too have a very complicated medical situation but I can't say I've noticed the physical issues become more pronounced as a direct result of WLS but then it's impossible half the time to figure out what is causing what :( Emotionally it's getting tougher tho as time goes on, I'm struggling a lot with body image right now and I know emotional distress does impact my processing, pain coping and fatigue.

Hopefully a properly managed (as I know you wouldn't do anything less ;) ) plan will help you x

Last edited:
This process has been a challenge on so many different fronts, its like discovering a new person inhabiting you body. I wanted to lose weight and I did, I have had to put on weight and I have but am also struggling to work out this change.
I think it will take a long while to get used to the new us and as the operation gives us the tool to help with the weight loss we now need our brain, past experiences and all that makes us who we thought we were , adjusted!!
Work in progress I think. And anyone who says this is the easy option needs to spend a week walking in our footsteps. And a slap!!

Back