• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS Thead Prefixes

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
[STRIKE]Vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG).[/STRIKE]
Laparoscopic gastric banding (Lap-Band).
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RGB).
Sleeve Gastrectomy
The Gastric Balloon
Duodenal Switch

We have just added Thread Prefixes to all the WLS forums.

You will see these each time you start a new thread or edit the first post of your thread.

The prefixes currently added are listed above if we have missed any please let us know and we will add them.

Each one has its own colour which will make it easy for you to see other threads or members with similar operations.

Love Mini xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Oooooh. Nice. Do they still do VGB? The only one that stands out as missed is the Duodenal Switch.

Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
okay, I've taken out the VBG and switched it for Duodenal Switch.

I have also changed the colours and created 5 threads showing the colours.

Pierce

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Ahhh ello

I was just wondering..........is the rny gastric bypass the same as the laproscopic gastric bypass? I had the latter. Im not sure but is the RNY the open surgery?
Its not to important really I guess but I think more and more are being done laproscopically.

Xx

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh ello

I was just wondering..........is the rny gastric bypass the same as the laproscopic gastric bypass? I had the latter. Im not sure but is the RNY the open surgery?
Its not to important really I guess but I think more and more are being done laproscopically.

Xx

Hi Phoebe,

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RGB). Can be done either open with a large incision or closed using small instruments and a camera to guide the surgeon, which method is used will depend on what the surgeon thinks is most suitable for each patient.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery

In some cases, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery can be performed laparoscopically. As a minimally invasive technique, laparoscopic Roux-en-Y surgery involves the use of a number of very small incisions. A surgical instrument called a laparoscope, which is equipped with a small video camera, is inserted through one of these incisions. The other necessary surgical instruments are inserted through the other small incisions. Images from the camera are then displayed on a monitor and are used by the surgeon to navigate during the surgery. The laparoscopic method of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is not right for everyone. Some may learn that the "open" Roux-en-Y technique, although more invasive, maybe be better suited for them. Your surgeon will help you determine your weight loss surgery options.
Source: Gastric Bypass Surgery - Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgeons

The Roux-en-y gastric by pass is named after the French surgeon who devised this type of procedure.

This will explain it further...

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RYGB) - named after the French surgeon (Roux) who devised it and the Y-shape created by the roux-limb as it joins the small intestine - is another bariatric procedure endorsed by the NIH Consensus Report on surgical treatment of severe clinical obesity. Roux-en-Y is currently the most commonly performed bariatric operation in the United States, and roughly 7 out of 10 bariatric surgeons use it as their primary weight loss procedure. An easier gastric bypass operation than either Biliopancreatic Diversion Stomach Bypass, or Duodenal Switch Stomach Bypass, Roux-en-Y has been practiced for more than 30 years, during which it has demonstrated a high long-term success rate with relatively low rates of mortality (less than one percent) and post-operative health complications. Roux-en-Y patients typically lose 50-75 percent of their initial excess weight, which is a sufficient weight reduction to cure or significantly reduce most of the life threatening medical conditions associated with severe clinical obesity.

Source: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Guide

I hope that helps!

Love Mini xxx

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Ahhh Mini thanks for that, I thought it was the surgeon but for some strange reason I also thought the 'y' was the type of incision made when someone is opened up completely.........I have no idea where I got that from lol.

Xx