• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 months post op and loads of minor illnesess

Perissa

I am 5 months post bypass op and I can honestly say I have never had so many minor illnesses in such a short space of time.

I have had

3 cold sores
1 tooth abscess requiring 2 lots of antibiotics
1 bout of tonsillitis
1 head cold - which is what I have got now and my sinus is really hurting, even my eyes hurt.

I would expect to get this lot in 5 years not 5 months!!!

I had a blood test because I have been feeling so tired and my B12 count was so low I was called from the hospital to go in immediately. I am currently having B12 injections every other day. They said that I would start to feel the effect of them after 10 days, well its 9 days today and certainly can't feel them having an effect yet. Mind you I have another 4 injections to go to complete the initial dosing. Then I have to have another blood test.
Don't get me wrong I don't regret having a bypass one bit. I am 4 dress sizes smaller and have had to add 5 holes to my belts but is it normal to have so many minor illnesses in such a short space of time?

Hi Hun

So sorry things are so bad at moment......... bet i won't recognise you now!!!!!! I would say that it si due to being low on B12 but i don't honestly now.... I now I do sometimes have a bout of silly illnesses..... but just put it down to my defences being low... I have never had so many cold sores in all my life.......... but again just put it down to me being run down!!!

I think this is more coincidence than anything to do with your bypass.

There has been a lot of very nasty colds buzzing about, I have had one for over 2 weeks and its just departing but has left me with cold sores up one nostril.

The B12 will start to help, you need to be patient and if it doesn't, tell them straight away.

Are you getting enough other boosting vitamins for the "cold" season such as vitamin C and zinc?

I take Forceval and Calcichew every day. I eat my 5 portions of fruit and veg most days too.

I get cold sores up my nose too, aren't they just the pits!! They hurt a lot more than the one's on your lip.

I had 5 days sick leave in the last three years at work (except the 2 months off post bypass). I believe I am a healthy outdoor type. This is the first cold I have had in at least 3 years so I can't believe all this is coincidence.

Just because you have been lucky over the last few years doesn't mean that once in a while a really strong bug gets through.:sigh:;)

I rarely suffer with colds and if I do they are mild but this one is a persistant bugger.

You have to remember with a bypass that your nutrion is compromised, hence the need to take extra vitamins and occasionally top up on things like B12. You are also early days in the long term big picture, it takes about 6-12 months for the body to settle back into a normal routine after this kind of operation. You may not be able to get enough from the little you are eating at the moment and this will obviously have some effect on health but this is just a rocky patch and I am sure you will be fine in the long term.

Try not to associate everything that goes wrong after WLS as something to do with that surgery or you will drive yourself mad.

Hope you feel much better very soon :)

I tend to agree with Caz here.

Sorry that you are suffering hun, but I very much doubt your WLS has anything to do with it.

I hardly ever get coughs or colds either and have gone about 4 years without a cold, but this winter I have had 2 colds and have had a sore throat.

Hope you feel better soon chick xx

Hi, it definatly sounds like lack of vitamins to me. Even though you are eating your 5 a day the portions are smaller so you will need to supplement them.Also if you B12 count is low it will make you feel so week and worn out because your ammunity is low. I hope you feel better soon. Take care xx Gaynor xx

Perissa - I had all of those and that was pre-op!! My underactive thyroid was diagnosed as the problem!! Sounds like you're really run down. Talk to your GP! xxx

Back