• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A little advice please as not sure what to do!

Charliefox

I have always struggled with my weight and have dieted since I was a young child. My most significant weight loss being with Reductil and that was 5 stone. I have now reached nearly 19 stone and a BMI of 40. I have 3 young children who need me to be fit and healthy so I therefore went to discuss my issues with a Bariactric Surgeon. He agreed that I would benefit from surgery and offered me the gastric band or the sleeve. He said though the sleeve would be a better option for me.

Since then I have found out that Pruhealth will 75% towards a Gastric Band op but will not entertain the idea of a sleeve. It should also be noted that I am scared of the sleeve op as it is so permanent and I worry that I won't get on with it.

My question is what would you do? I know that the surgery is something I should do as I continue to grow but not sure which option is best plus I am terrified of it making my life miserable.

Hi Charliefox, like you I have been overweight since childhood. Dieting on and off over the years. I managed to shed 5 stone with Scottish slimmers 4 years ago but usual story, it's all went back on. We (me and my husband) decided enough was enough and approached a surgeon with hopes of a band. After discussions with both the dietitian and surgeon I left very confused as they both agreed that the sleeve would be a more suitable match (personally didn't want a bypass).
You are right the sleeve is permanent, no going back and the portions I can manage to eat 8 weeks post op are very small indeed but I felt that I needed a permanent solution and my problem really isn't the loosing weight it the keeping it off, which I think the sleeve is more suited to assist me to do.
My primary concerns with the band was the upkeep, it can take a very long time to reach that 'sweet spot' of having just the right amount of restriction and this could involve many, many trips to the doctors office for band fills. Also I won't lie, there are a lot of horror stories on the net with regards to failed bands (but in all fairness, the sleeve hasn't been around for nearly as long!)
I personally have absolutely no regrets about having my sleeve, wind pain was a bit of a bugger for a few days post op but you get that with the band as well. Other than that no significant pain at all.
I will say in the bands defence that there are many successful band 'people' on here so I'm sure that someone will come long with their thought.

Its a very personal thing and I'm afraid that the final decision will be up to you on which surgery your eating habits are better suited to.

Good luck
X

My view is ultimately you need to pick the surgery that your surgeon recommends. I know its difficult when money is involved but if your eating habits don't suit your op you will end up being unsuccessful. Why not get some private consultations and see what the surgeons recommend for you.

hi welcome i would say research research and more research to look at all the options and find what is best for you but also keep a semi open mind to what surgeons/dieticians suggest

There is no right or wrong surgeries, all have their uniqueness. Listen to,others, find out what you want and keep asking questions. I personally had been a yo yo dieter for 40 years, yes I could loose weight OK but over a couple of years or so it all went back on. I wanted to be able to eat a good variety of foods, but less of them and decided on the sleeve as I did not want to keep up the maintenance of a band. It was the right decision for me. I enjoy life eating smaller portions, going out for meals and so am pleased with my decision. Good luck with your decision.

Back