• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie & need advice please thank you

kellyhymas

Hello i went to sunderland seminar in may and i had my second appointment today with the nurse. today i was told i had to loose a stone within 5 months. which is fine as i want this procedure so badly i will do my utmost to do that. I have only looked into bypass but i didnt know about monthly b12 jabs and how you can never eat properly again nothing with sugar etc. she told me the sleeve or bypass would suit me. but i am struggling to decide which. i was 21 stone 9 and managed to get to 17 stone on my own however i did get to 16 st 9lbs and since may i have gone back up to 17st 12!!1 i am gutted but i feel that i am doing my best. i was a little dishearted to learn that i have 5 months to loose a stone then put on a waiting list it seems like it is taking forever i am 30 next month and i dont know which to choose gastric bypass or sleeve. there isnt a lot of info on sleeve compared to bypass and i dont know anyone to talk to about how they feel or what they have had done and how they find things as i think word of mouth and learning how things will be after one or the other would affect me as i dont know anyone who has had it done around me to talk to them. any advice would be really good from anyone please thank you xxx

Hi Kelly and welcome to the group,
There are many people on here that are sleevers and bypassers and I'm sure they'll be along soon to give their views.
My Surgeon suggested that the sleeve would be better for me than a band because of my lifestyle and eating habits, and that if the sleeve didn't work then they can go back in and convert it to a full bypass. As you've probably already figured out it is different for each person, and so it is a personal choice but should be on the advisement of your surgeon as to what they think will work best for you.
I spent weeks Googleing the various different surgery's and spent even longer on here searching through the various groups just reading all the differing experiences.
If do you have any specific questions though ask away, they are a really good bunch on here and Very very helpful.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I personally chose the bypass because I knew I needed to stop myself from eating large portions and I also wanted to be prevented from eating anything sugary as well. I knew I had no self control and that if I had anything else, I'd cheat. It's not cut and dried that you'll need B12 injections either. I don't but I am low in vit D which I just take an extra supplement for.

I know it is a difficult decision but don't let anyone tell you that you can't eat normally again. You can, just smaller portions and you have to check food labels regularly. I live a normal life and eat normally for the most part. I just don't weigh 25 and a half stone anymore like I used to.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice depending on your lifestyle and own will. Other people will be along soon and of course their experiences will be different to mine. Best of luck.

Hi Kelly and welcome to the site. I am at SRH as well and your next appointment will be with the consultant. If you have lost your target weight, you will then be put on a waiting list for an endoscopy. This is so the surgeon knows if he's going to come across a hernia, ulcer or anything similar. When you've got the all clear from this procedure, you'll then go on the list for your surgery. Unfortunately, Sunderland are very strict about weight gain, and should you not meet any targets set for you, or gain weight along the way, they will knock you back to square 1!
My journey has taken me around 17 months so far, and I'm waiting to go for my endoscopy. I expect to wait another 8 months or so for my surgery, but things seems to be moving a little faster now, so...?

As for your dilemma about the type of surgery you should go for, there will be sleevers and bypassers along shortly, I'm sure. Read different threads on here from both, and see if you get any feeling from them. I am waiting for a bypass, which was decided between me and the dietician. I'm sure if you ring her, she'll advise you.
Best of luck!

hi there i was also at sunderand in may for the meeting mite off seen u there

Hello i went to sunderland seminar in may and i had my second appointment today with the nurse. today i was told i had to loose a stone within 5 months. which is fine as i want this procedure so badly i will do my utmost to do that. I have only looked into bypass but i didnt know about monthly b12 jabs and how you can never eat properly again nothing with sugar etc. she told me the sleeve or bypass would suit me. but i am struggling to decide which. i was 21 stone 9 and managed to get to 17 stone on my own however i did get to 16 st 9lbs and since may i have gone back up to 17st 12!!1 i am gutted but i feel that i am doing my best. i was a little dishearted to learn that i have 5 months to loose a stone then put on a waiting list it seems like it is taking forever i am 30 next month and i dont know which to choose gastric bypass or sleeve. there isnt a lot of info on sleeve compared to bypass and i dont know anyone to talk to about how they feel or what they have had done and how they find things as i think word of mouth and learning how things will be after one or the other would affect me as i dont know anyone who has had it done around me to talk to them. any advice would be really good from anyone please thank you xxx

hi im liz please feel free to attend the support group at srh, our next meeting is sept 29th 6-8pm in the education centre, please feel free to come along and have a cuppa with fellow pre and post op patients x

Back