• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aches & pains!

Lori1964

I find with being so much over weight that it has caused a lot of joint problems. The worst being my knees and ankles. So much so that stairs up or down I try to avoid and if I need to kneel down for anything I struggle to get back up.

What I am wondering is if any of you post oppers suffered in any way like this prior to your weight loss surgery have found any real improvment in either mobility or the amount of pain you now have. I am hoping that one of the benefits of the surgery will be less pain!!

Many thanks

Absolutely yes, yes, yes! I have arthritis in my left ankle and right knee and I had a left total hip replacement last year. I also had terrible pain in my feet. I used to dread getting out of bed in the morning because it would take about five minutes to hobble to the loo, holding onto the wall and any furniture on the way. I dreaded putting my poor feet on the floor. Now I just get up and walk to the loo, nearly as good as everyone else, it's fantastic. This was the very reason why I wanted the op, to relieve this pain.

My knees, feet and back used to hurt all the time but like Gill my feet were the worst when getting up and until I read her post I did not realise how much they had improved. I did get some pains in the hips and knees a couple of months post op but was told that this is common as your balance is out when your shape is changing fast.

Hope this makes sense.

I used to have a lot of pain from one of my knees and its a lot better already. The same thing happened when i lost a lot of weight with lighterlife. I think the extra weight can make aches and pains worse

Great question Lorna and I am so happy to read your positive answers.
I too suffer badly with my feet, and my ankle and knee on one side. So much so that I ahve special insoles in my shoes but they don't help much. Also my back hurts form standing for too long or even from staying in bed too long.
I am only 38 so fairly sure it is down to my obesity. Looking forward to not being so achy and cranky!
Leanne x

Absolutely yes, yes, yes! I have arthritis in my left ankle and right knee and I had a left total hip replacement last year. I also had terrible pain in my feet. I used to dread getting out of bed in the morning because it would take about five minutes to hobble to the loo, holding onto the wall and any furniture on the way. I dreaded putting my poor feet on the floor. Now I just get up and walk to the loo, nearly as good as everyone else, it's fantastic. This was the very reason why I wanted the op, to relieve this pain.

I Gill, I seems you have really suffered in the past, but what great ans positive news to hear that the pain is reducing and that your mobility is improving so quickly. I hope this continues to improve fr you until you have no paim at all.

My knees, feet and back used to hurt all the time but like Gill my feet were the worst when getting up and until I read her post I did not realise how much they had improved. I did get some pains in the hips and knees a couple of months post op but was told that this is common as your balance is out when your shape is changing fast.Hope this makes sense.

Hi Samsmum. Yeah I know exactly what you mean. But don't you think I it amazing just how much we notice when we are in pain but we can so easily miss the fact that the pain is decreasing. I am really pleased to hear that things are improving for you also.

I used to have a lot of pain from one of my knees and its a lot better already. The same thing happened when i lost a lot of weight with lighterlife. I think the extra weight can make aches and pains worse

Thanks for that Jason. I do hope that like you the pain in my knees starts to ease early on. I am so pleased I am hearing all these positive replies.

Great question Lorna and I am so happy to read your positive answers.
I too suffer badly with my feet, and my ankle and knee on one side. So much so that I ahve special insoles in my shoes but they don't help much. Also my back hurts form standing for too long or even from staying in bed too long.
I am only 38 so fairly sure it is down to my obesity. Looking forward to not being so achy and cranky!
Leanne x

Well Leanne, I know what you mean about your back aching when you stand for too long, I also suffer that. I feel like an old crock to be honest. I have my op about a month before you I think so I will keep you posted as to how my aches and pains are getting on. Because like you im sure it is all down to my weight. x

I know exactly how you feel Lorna. I too get alot of pain in my feet my dr said it is my achillies and she has applied for some physio. I also suffer terribly with pain in what I thought was my hip but my dr said it is actually my back when standing or walking for too long. I am also starting to get pain in my left knee. I feel like an old woman even though I only turned 40 in August. I even applied on line last night for a disabled badge as I just cannot walk very far at all. I am hoping that if I get funding this surgery will cure all these problems as I loose the weight.

I know exactly how you feel Lorna. I too get alot of pain in my feet my dr said it is my achillies and she has applied for some physio. I also suffer terribly with pain in what I thought was my hip but my dr said it is actually my back when standing or walking for too long. I am also starting to get pain in my left knee. I feel like an old woman even though I only turned 40 in August. I even applied on line last night for a disabled badge as I just cannot walk very far at all. I am hoping that if I get funding this surgery will cure all these problems as I loose the weight.

Hi Sharron, its terrible feeling old before your time, I can relate to that. I'm only 45, feel about 90, but i know there is a 21 year old inside of me crying to get out..lol

I hope you get your funding soon I will keep my fingers crossed for you. x

I'm quite lucky although pre op i don't get much of any pain really... But the tiredness is a buggar. To wake and feel tired and ready for a nap at 3 in the afternoon is just ridiculous, and to think i've been wanting afternoon kips since i had my son over 20 yrs ago... I do sleep well at night i just think carrying another person around is blooming hard work.......................

Here's hoping it gets better for all of us! x

I feel like an old woman and I'm only 43! I have swollen ankles, bad back, can't walk very far before needing a sit down. If I do any exertion I get hot and bothered and breathless. But does this stop me eating??? No - thats why I need the bypass!

Julie,
Your post there looks just as though I have written it...only I'm 38!! Hehe
Leanne x

Absolutely - couldnt stand up straight to do the washing up and was on permanent pain killers to stop pain in my knee. No pain killers now and I can walk freely without huffing and puffing and can wash up mountains - not that I want to mind! Actually its amazing how quickly I felt the benefits.

Only thing I suffered from was an aching hip which worsened as the weight went up. At 32 I figured nothing should be aching so wasn't best pleased! :rolleyes: Haven't had it once since losing weight though...

Cuppa xx

wow, thought it was just me with aching joints. both knees and ankles. Im the same, i have to hold on the the walls for the first few minutes when getting up. So its such good news to hear that these aching joints might ease after surgery and some weight loss

Yep! I no longer have that nagging, knawing pain that im sure we can all relate to in my knees or my thighs :) Its great living a pain free life now :)

I really can't wait to live without all this pain. I had to walk a little under a mile to and from an office in Edinburgh this week where I was working as I could not get parked anywhere closer and my god am I suffering for this. The pad of my left foot is sooooo red and blistered I cant bear any weight on it, both ankles are swollen and both knees feel like they are on fire. It isn't that many years ago I could walk for miles and miles and not even think about it. Whereas nowadays all I do is look for the closest parking bay to where I need to go. Next year I am determined to change this as soon as I have started to lose weight and start walking where ever possible even if it is just parking the car a little further away. I'm tooooo young to feel this old..lol

Big sigh... thanks guys ! I need this op so I can return to a pain-free life.

Rose

My pain WAS in my knees and back. After xrays the doctors said that my weight had pushed my knees out of joint but that it was reversable. After teaching a PE lesson at school i would have to crawl up the stairs as i could not walk up them. This made me decide to have WLS and since i have i have not looked back - although i am still building up my muscles after complications i have had no pain in my knees when going up stairs. WLS was the best decision i evermade because at 34 I did not want to lose my mobility. xxx

The joint and back pains that I have are the main reason that I'm going for the surgery. Fingers crossed (ooh, will I be able to cross my fingers post op too!?) x

Back