• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aches and pains

Marky007

Hi all, last few months ive had pain in the ankles, knees and shoulders, and taking Anti-inflammatory Painkillers to get the pain down. From post bypassers, does this pain slowly go when you start to loose the weight or is it with you for life?

I don't know the answer as I'm still pre-op but didn't want to read and run!! Good luck!!!

That would depend entirely on what was the source or cause of your pain. Obviously losing weight helps with a lot of medical conditions but if for example your cause is arthritis, then no. Loss will help with pain but not alleviate.

Those anti-inflamms will rot your gut if you are not careful too - make sure you ALWAYS take them after food and try not to stay on them too long.

Yeah i agree, if the problems something other than obesity, then it wont go, if its the weight putting pressure on joints or just the weight its will get better with time. Pre op i couldn't walk 100 yards without having to sit down, legs aching and back screaming at me, now i run up mountains just for fun !
I recon if they could suddenly lifet 150lb of your back you'd litterally fly of the ground.

Hi all, last few months ive had pain in the ankles, knees and shoulders, and taking Anti-inflammatory Painkillers to get the pain down. From post bypassers, does this pain slowly go when you start to loose the weight or is it with you for life?

Have you tried the gels and creams which reduce the pain without the need for tablets, or don't they work?

As tpt has said Mark if its Arthritis that is the cause of your pain then loosing weight will not help with the pain. It will help by reducing the load on your joints, and this might help but only anti-inflammatory drugs such as Diclofenac relieve the pain, and these should be avoided post op.

To be honest my left knee and some knuckles are much worse since my operation as the Voltarol masked just how bad some of my joints were pre op.

Despite that the benefits of the procedure have greatly outweighed the costs in my case

Back