• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed plzzz

emmafifema

Hi there everyone,

I am new to this and really am just after a little advice..

I am 31 and have struggled with my weight since a was a toddler...I have been on various diets since then and have lost a little then gained a lot.
Over 2 years ago I joined WW and lost 4 stone and felt great! But with the weight loss came gall stones....I was hospitalised and had to have surgery to remove my gall bladder.
Since then I have piled on the weight again and no matter what diet or exercise I do I just cant seem to lose any weight!
I am now weighing over 20 stone with a BMI of around 48, I hardly sleep at night or in even in the day as I wake myself up from lack of breathing...I am sleeping on 6 pillows at night as if I lay on any less the pressure of my weight on my neck restricts my breathing.

I have terrible sciatica and cant stand for long periods of time because of the pain. A few years ago I was given reductil and that didnt help and now I have been reffered to a well being clinic by my doc to do a 10 week course on weight loss tips etc.

One doc has told me that if this doesnt work then I'm on my own as there is no other help for me, another doc has told me that he thinks I am good candidate for weight loss surgery if this doesnt work.

Basically I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of my situation and if you think theres a chance I can get this surgery on the NHS?

Thanks xx

its a post code lottery if you can get funding for it or not if you have gp's backing then thats a positive thing x

Hiya and welcome to minis.
I think you would be a very good canidate to get surgery on the NHS, There are quite a few people on here who have had it done on the nhs and i am sure you will get some help and advise of them as I went privately for mine so can't help.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Hey Liz, thanks for the quick reply.....It would be interesting to see of anyone on here has gotten anywhere with this on my area - I am in Crawley near Gatwick.

I see you have had 2 sugeries...can I ask how come you have had 2??

i had a rare complication of my band after 3.5 years the fill tube came off at the band end and it had to all be replaced, what happened to me was rare so please dont worry xxx

Hi there everyone,

I am new to this and really am just after a little advice..

I am 31 and have struggled with my weight since a was a toddler...I have been on various diets since then and have lost a little then gained a lot.
Over 2 years ago I joined WW and lost 4 stone and felt great! But with the weight loss came gall stones....I was hospitalised and had to have surgery to remove my gall bladder.
Since then I have piled on the weight again and no matter what diet or exercise I do I just cant seem to lose any weight!
I am now weighing over 20 stone with a BMI of around 48, I hardly sleep at night or in even in the day as I wake myself up from lack of breathing...I am sleeping on 6 pillows at night as if I lay on any less the pressure of my weight on my neck restricts my breathing.

I have terrible sciatica and cant stand for long periods of time because of the pain. A few years ago I was given reductil and that didnt help and now I have been reffered to a well being clinic by my doc to do a 10 week course on weight loss tips etc.

One doc has told me that if this doesnt work then I'm on my own as there is no other help for me, another doc has told me that he thinks I am good candidate for weight loss surgery if this doesnt work.

Basically I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of my situation and if you think theres a chance I can get this surgery on the NHS?

Thanks xx

Hi There Emma

Firstly, welcome to Mini's.

I think you sound like you are a candidate for weight loss surgery if that is the road you want to go down.

I have not had any surgery yet so I can't really give you a qualified opinion on that as yet.

You will find all the information you need here as all the girls (and boys) will give you all the support you need and will answer all your questions...they are a very friendly bunch.

I would however advise you on taking up both offers of the doctor referring you for surgery and the offer of the weight loss clinic...I'd stick with the doctor who mentioned surgery as he/she sounds a lot more empathic.

If you go down the route of surgery you will easily be able to prove that you have tried everything as you will have a record of your attendance at the weight loss clinic...as some hospitals make you attend their clinics it is possible that they might not send you to theirs as you have already done that.

All our journeys are similar but different in as much as our PCT's work in different ways.

There are some excellent weight loss surgery diary's that you can read here and they are very inspiring too...Phatgirls, Fatgirls, Hopelesscase, Brunettandred just to name a few.

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around.

(((hugs)))

thanks snow crystal, I will keep everyone informed as to my progress with the docs and clinic referel...I hope something will improve my quality of life...

Hi Emma

You could have been describing me - dropped from 16 stone to 12 in six months and then......gallstones and removal of gall bladder and of course the diet went out of the window. Get the sympathetic GP to refer you to a hospital that performs WLS so you can at least see what your options are - from your story, I would say you fit the criteria. I had my bypass at the Whittington Hospital in Archway - I know they take people from all over London and the surrounding areas - they have a special obesity centre there and the clinical lead is Mr Sufi. I cannot praise them highly enough. They will apply for funding on your behalf if your GP doesnt.

Hi Emma and:welcome2: to mini's. You'll get lots of great advice here from this lovely forum. You do sound like you should be able to get your surgery on the NHS to me. Have you checked out the PCT criteria for you area? If not have a look on the bospa website and check it out. Once you have the info you need you can take it to your GP and ask him to refer you for funding and to see consultant. Good luck in your journey to weight loss surgery.

Thanks Caroline...its great to speak to someone who has had almost exactly the same problems as me - i was beggining to think I was on my own with the weight gain after gallbladder removal!

And thanks Gaynor I have just looked on that website and it appears I need to meet the NICE guidline criterea only....what is that exactly????

The NICE guidelines state that you must have a BMI of 40+ or 35+ with comorbidities. Comorbidities are conditions exacerbated by obesity and it sounds as if you have sleep apnoea. So all in all - you DO meet the guidelines. Good luck with your GP and oh, and welcome to the site!!! Mxx

Thanks Marion! I am now feeling a lot more positive about this and I really hope i can get the funding and help to get the surgery.

xxx

Apparently losing lots of weight quickly can bring on a gall bladder attack so you and I were textbook! And of course, once you have come off the diet you were on and then had to go on the fat free anti gall bladder diet, it all goes to pot! Went very to pot with me - lost 4 stone and put on 8! Took years mind you and a lot of concentrated effort!

Caroline thats exactly how it happened with me too, I was so strict with my diet and regime that when I got the gall stones and had to totally change what I ate, it threw me big time!

I can absolutely pin point that as the turning point for my downward swirl into the pit of weight gain.

I take it you have tried to diet since the gallbladder removal? Have you been successful in any amount ?

I have tried but failed - went back to weight watchers and didnt even lose a pound - I am pretty sure the lack of a gallbladder is causing this

Hi,

I can't afford to mess about waiting for funding from my local PCT, so I'm going private.

It's going to be a struggle financially, but it will change my life for the better :)

Back