• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol problems post bypass

Wow. I seriously can't believe the support you have given me in such short space of time. Not just here but in private messages and on Facebook. I'm completely overwhelmed. This forum has been a a complete life saver to me and I mean that literally. I didn't post about it but a little while a go I had a suspected brain tumour that turned out to be shingles of the brain. I ended up losing my hearing in one ear. I could have been completely paralysed on one side of my face so I was really lucky. Anyway the point is so much has happened in the last year, the year that has meant to be the start of my new life, but not much of it has be good. I've enjoyed every NSV and I've worked bloody hard for my weight loss but I've also failed in many ways and alcohol has been one of them. I appreciate your candour, kindness and honesty and agree I couldn't beat myself up more for this is I tried. In May I walked out of my new job that paid incredibly well (not for other people but for me) because I couldn't cope. I planned to walk to the train station and well....It's still to hard to talk about but my dad turned up to pick me up and I told him everything. Everything apart from the drinking. You guys are the only ones I've told about that. I have decided to give up for now if I can. When I saw my gp he said cut back but if I needed help they would give it too me so If I struggle I will let him know. I've given up addictive eating and smoking so I know I can do this too. I hope one day I can still drink socially but if I can't then I can't and I'll have to accept that. I'm sure there is more to life. I just need to find out what it is because I'm only 32 and I've not found it yet.

Again thank you so much for your support, in all forms, it is much appreciated. It has made me feel like I am worth something and seriously I haven't felt that way for a long while xx

You have been there for so many people - in a way you've earned this support through your support of others. And I know how committed you are to your weightloss. The problem is - in the same way that our issues with food are not a failure of willpower this is not your fault. We are hardwired and conditioned towards obsessive addictive behaviors - I honestly believe this. I always know that I am just one step away from the slippery slope and it is only too easy to misstep. And that's despite our determination. Don't blame yourself hon, lean on support and get back up - you can do this.

Shelly you are amazing you have had your surgery lost all of this weight, given up smoking and now you are giving up alcohol and had to deal with really serious health issues.
You deserve all the love respect and well wishes everyone is giving you. xx

SHELLEY believe in yourself you know what you need to do you have come through so much, and overcome it all. You are a inspiration to us all of how tough life can be and just how much crap one person can have chucked at them and still be standing. Keep voicing those inner thoughts its not till ya voice them that you can begin to banish them and put strategies in to overcome them. You are a special lady and keep up that chin and carry on you can do it. I USED TO LOVE A GOOD DRINK more than once a week and I know that is what put my weight on. I gradually made the decision that when the surgery came I wouldn't be able to drink for a long while. I drink now about once a fortnight and it is no where near what I would have once over, it can be done, you can do it. STAY STRONG, get help ask at the doctors get it sorted out now xxx We are here for you xxx

Have you tried AA? I think that however supportive this group is, you might be better off joining a "real" group, one made of people who will know exactly what you're dealing with, and will help you fight your demons.

Thanks. AA is not for me though. Certain parts of it conflict very strongly with my personal beliefs that I would find it counter active but I'm not adverse to try and find another support group that maybe has a different approach. I will look in to it but my main reason for bringing it up here is that I know a several people do suffer with alcohol related problems post bypass. So hoped they would talk to me about their issues because we wouldn't just have the alcohol problems in common but from a bypasser's perspective. I have been contacted by a couple of people so that is a positive thing. Hopefully we can support each other. Also I hope sharing is a deterrent to people who become complacent that it couldn't happen to them.

The good news is no alcohol since I made my first post. I shall work hard to keep that up and see what happens next. I'm going to talk to my GP about what he suggests for the long run, when I spoke to him he just suggest cutting down so we will look in to it but I'm not planning on drinking at all at the moment and hopefully my health will benefit a lot. I'm hoping as a side effect I will benefit from more weight loss as well :)

Last edited:
well done you, glad you are getting support on here. I have been warned that alcohol can become a substitute for food post op, so I am sure there are lots of people on here who can relate, and the ones that can't relate personally will still have your back and be there for you!

speak soon babes ... xxx

I dont know how I missed your thread Shelly. Just want to say, you are being brave facing up to it. Your experience with WLS shows that you are a strong person. Its a tough battle, but I have confidence that you will overcome it. I hope you are feeling a bit more confident today.

Great news on the non-drinking so far! Thumbs up! :)

Yes, alcohol is lethal to weight loss, because the body burns the easiest fuel first and stores the rest for famine times, and alcohol (well, the ethanol in it) is the easiest thing to burn, even easier than sugar. A lot of people who drink see their diet stall for that reason.

Think of all the advantages in not drinking, and compare them to the advantage(s?) in keeping on drinking. Maybe do what smokers do, put money in a jar every time you would have spent it on your tipple of choice, and see how quickly that grows, and use that eventually for a nice (non alcoholic!) treat. Put a picture on your fridge of a diseased liver as a reminder as to why you're doing this. And remember, even if AA is not for you, there is one thing you can take from them: One day at a time, every day.

{{{HUGS}}}

I feel for you! This weight loss journey is hard enough without all the added stresses and strains you're under too. Admitting you think you have a problem is always the most significant step in conquering any addiction.
You've found a way to overcome your food issues and now you need to do the same with your alcohol issues. I am fortunate enough to not have a clue how this feels / affects so my only suggestion would be to bite the bullet and seek help in the first instance from a trusted GP maybe. Good luck and well done for being so open and honest, surely that can only help. I'll be thinking of you. x

Back