• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another response to the media.

fjsinc

Is it just me? Or does every new day bring a new damning article in some newspaper or another about WLSurgery?

I thought I would share my latest reply, haha. I thought I was rather eloquent.

It is in response to someone saying that the money spent on WLSurgery would be better off being spent on stroke patients. Well I'm a stroke nurse - so que blood boiling.

"I work on a Acute stroke unit, and I'm a gastric bypass patient. As other commentators have said, WLSurgery is a preventative measure. Considering weight related health risks are major contributing factors to Strokes (and a myriad of other conditions). Does this not mean that the NHS is in fact investing in the future health of individuals? A common criticism of the NHS is that does not do enough to prevent illness. Gastric bypass operations have been being performed since 1967, there is more than enough evidence and research to back up the long term health benefits. This is why it is recommended in the NICE guidelines as a treatment for morbid obesity.
After all, very few people CHOOSE to be obese, it is devastating and demoralising to face the daily (and all too often loosing) battle with our weight. I understand though, to someone who is critical, and perhaps has no problem with food and/or their weight, it must seem like the most simple of equations! Sadly however, they lack the necessary insight to fully understand the plight of the morbidly obese"

Nice!

I can understand people spouting off about it, bus as you say they lack the knowledge to know what the hell they're on about x

from me phone :D

Well said!! I'm an assistant practitioner in a community based rehab team. Doesn't it amaze you how clueless people are?

Well said. Excellent response. Thx for sharing.

Funny enough, no one has replied where I originally posted it!

I aplaud you well said keep up the campaign lol xxx

Very well said!!

Back