• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Regrets?

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
I was talking to a (super skinny ) friend of mine today about my hopefully not too distant bypass.

Anyway her question was... How do you cope when it comes to social gatherings , its such a life altering operation and considering that more than likely most of us are this overweight because of an addiction to food... How do you handle that psychologically?

Does anyone regret having the bypass, not because of any surgery related issues but because of the changes you've had to make?

I'm a bander so can't answer from personal experience but I can say I have never heard anyone here say they regret the bypass. most of them will tell you that they still eat the same but just have to watch the fat and sugar contents so they don't suffer the "dumping". Hopefully they will be along soon to give you some great advice, Good luck on your journeyxx

I would hand on heart say I do not regret my bypass, however.... The only thing I do sometimes feel I miss out on is a good pint with the lads. I used to love my beer and would drink nearly every day (hence why I needed a bypass) and my mates so treat me a bit differently now and are sometimes wary of inviting me to mental nights out (doing shots etc) and this did occur to me before my bypass, as I am still a 21 year old lad, I'm at university and I didn't want to miss out.... But if I weigh up the urge for the odd beer against all the benefits my bypass has brought me, the bypass wins hands down!!! I wouldn't change having it done for all the beer or money even in the world! Your friend will adapt to the social situations and learn to cope and have fun in new ways, like now I dance, I never did that before and now I like good wine whereas before I would drink any old rubbish! My bypass was definately the best thing I've ever done and I will never ever ever say 'I regret it' :) xxxxx

A group of us went to a party on Saturday, all post op bypassers, and from the way we attacked the buffet (and I attacked the chocolate cake lol) you'd never know that we were any different to anyone else! You just learn to adapt your food choices and you're so busy enjoying the results that little else matters!

Absolutely no regrets, just wish I'd done it sooner.

No regrets what so ever I go out drinking with mates Go out for meals So for me no change. I just eat slower and smaller portions. Life goes on after bypass just in smaller portions

hi im not a bypasser yet hoping to be in nov but just wanted to say great post and omg shelbell you had choc cake and wasnt ill cool so i can still have a lil bit of choc now and again even better lol

I lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve cake :) I just have a tiny bit so I only ate 1/3 of the slice over an hour or so lol but it was enough for me.

No regrets at this end either - just smaller portions and timing drinking and eating if in a restaurant. The urge to pig out just isnt there anymore for me. Think the pros outweigh the cons 100%.

Less time at the buffet table more time on the dance floor,there is much more to life than eating!

im only 8 days post op so still on liquids and wen i can smell things i love lie bacon butties and the chillie and chips and rice that i made my son last night i must admit i did think then , oh my god wat have i done, but it was only for a second and i know wat ive done and im very happy about it in fact happy just dosnt begin to discribe how i feel. i know, by comming on here that in a few mnths time i will be eating most things again , but less, so the only thing ill be missing then is the weight and all the pain and problems it causes................ kath x

A group of us went to a party on Saturday, all post op bypassers, and from the way we attacked the buffet (and I attacked the chocolate cake lol) you'd never know that we were any different to anyone else! You just learn to adapt your food choices and you're so busy enjoying the results that little else matters!

Absolutely no regrets, just wish I'd done it sooner.
and I attacked the vodka;):8855::8855::8855:well had 2 glasses then ran out of money;):eek::whistle:
I have no regrets either:D

Thanks for all your replies..

At the moment i can't wait to have my bypass -- its all i can think about most of the time lol

This site has been a great source of information and i love reading all the stories even though i dont post that often.

I'm pretty certain i won't have any regrets either , but its nice to get confirmation from so many people that the pro's definately outweigh any cons

If i can get to a stage where i'm eating to live rather than feeling like i'm living to eat i'll be extremely happy! ;)

In the begining I had the OMG what have I done feeling, but it only lasted a few seconds, Because you get so full up on very little and you really do feel satisfied.
I don't regret having the Op Its the best thing i have ever done.

I must be a rare bypasser as i do regret the op - ok i have had good weight loss but my fibromyalgia is still as bad although i can go for a very sedate walk and suffer the consequences afterwards. But i hate not being able to enjoy my food, i hate the feeling of nothingness in my pouch (which is very weird) and i hate not being able to eat normal food and feel full or satisfied i just feel yuk. But hey ho

Oh Topsy

Im so sorry you are feeling like this. I dont really have any suggestions for you other than wonder if you have experimented with different foods that you should now be able to enjoy in small quantity. And also I dont know if you enjoy cooking and experimenting with recipes.

I dont have an expectation that i will eradicate the pain i have daily, it would be fantastic if it did improve but I had it before I was overweight and no doubt will continue to do so. Maybe you need to discuss pain relief alternatives again with your docs.

I would imagine the first year post op is the hardest so hopefully something will change for the better soon for you.

Sending hugs Xx

Back