• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are old habits able to kick in?

everpositive

Like many of you guys, my issues with food and over eating were never linked to just one thing. I ate too much, ate lots of high fat, high sugar stuff, used food when I was sad, happy and anything in between. One thing that was very evident, was my love affair with carbs. In no particular order, chips, any form of potato, pasta, rice, bread usually in the refined form (white as opposed to brown if peeps are wondering what that means?).

Since my op I havent had any massive cravings or urges for these things at all. If I have had them, they of course have been in tiny amounts and I've had the wholemeal/wholewheat alternatives. I was always led to believe that I had a carb addiction and that all refined carbs are a problem for many obese people. Since my op, my addiction hasn't presented itself and again, I was informed this is because insulin levels are all mucked up. As I am now starting to begin to sample more types and consistencies of foods, I have been relieved to find that I am able to tolerate breads, rice, pasta in the tiniest of amounts. I'm scared that my love of them will kick in again. I'm certain I am not having enough protein and am unsure what sources I can get this other than chicken, turkey and dairy products? This is what I've had today. Please tell me what you think?
small bowl porridge

lo fat chicken casserole with brown rice

low fat Batchelors super noodles (not a full packet)

Tea, coffee and fruit juice throughout the day.

Many thanks :confused:

Can't offer any advice Claire, but will be interested to see the responses you get hun xx

cant offer help either but will be reading with interest..
good luck x

I can tolerate bread, pasta and rice in small amounts but I never have the brown variety. I dont have it that often so prefer to enjoy what I do have. I have never been hit with an overwhelming desire to eat anything in particular in great amounts, I seem more than satisfied with what I get and never seem to get a craving....hope this helps...xx

I have one portion of carbs a day normally, occasionally two. I aim for complex carbs and find that I enjoy them just as much as I ever did the bleached varieties. Your tastes change over time so it's not really a good idea to write off the healthier and more sustaining varieties just because you used to prefer the cheap nasty cr@p.

Claire, looking at your eating today, you're not getting enough protein. A meal of super noodles is all carbs and not ideal. There are lots of sources of protein -

Good Sources of Protein - WebMD

And vegetarian sources -

PROTEIN IN LEGUMES: Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Navy beans, Soybeans, Split peas
PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oatmeal, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice
VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini
PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon
PROTEIN IN NUTS AND SEEDS: Almonds, Cashews, Filberts, Hemp Seeds, Peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts (black)

One excellent ingredient to look for is hemp seed protein. Hemp seed is an nutritious dietary source of easily digestible gluten-free protein. It provides a well-balanced array of all the amino acids, including 34.6 grams of protein for each 100 grams. The fatty acid profile of the hemp seed is extremely beneficial, containing omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a virtually ideal ratio. Other beneficial aspects of hemp seed include a strongly favorable unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio; a high content of antioxidants; and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
I would also recommend keeping a tub of protein powder in. Go for one that is high protein low carb, such as Dymatize Elite Whey 0.91kg | Protein | WheyProtein | Pure Protein | Liquid Vials | Protein Foods

One thing I did early on was track my intake on Food Focus - Permanent Weight Loss which is free of charge. You input what you eat and it tells you how many cals, fat grams, carbs and protein etc you have eaten each day.

my problem is not old habits kicking in its eating enough i so do not feel hungery plus the added complication from the gallbladder making me feel like i want to chuck up means i am NOT eating anywhere what i should be, even today i am only on 2 meals, brakfast was 2 slices dairylea light and lunch at 3pm was 1 scrambled egg... just cannot eat any more

I know that Quorn is really high in protein. But I am not too sure if how well this goes down with the band or bypass as I am only pre-op at the moment.

I love quorn :p !

Back