• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Balloon triplets

tiili

So - I am going to start my own thread rather than using the others, simply because I'd like to be able to easily go back and track progress further down the line.

A quick recap on my journey so far for those who do not already know:

I was referred to the bariatric team at St Thomas by my lovely gp back in April, and had my first appointment six weeks ago (mid June 213). Due to my fear of surgery and slight phobia of doctors and hospitals in general, my consultant suggested trying a longer treatment with gastric balloons instead. I have therefore been offered three six-month balloons (ie a treatment covering a year and a half). Should the balloon turn out to not work for me, he will instead refer me for surgery.

I would love to be able to do this with just the balloons as I really, really do not like the idea of surgery. I also believe that if I were to manage to reach my goal weight, I would be able to maintain it going forward because coming so close to the knife has really scared me. This is it.

But can I do it? In my mind there is still that little voice saying "you're making a mistake...insist on a gastric sleeve instead". I almost feel pressured into going down that route when reading other people's success stories and some of the negative experiences with the balloon. But I really do want to do this using a less invasive procedure if I can.

I came on here hoping to find someone else who had managed to lose as much as I need to with just a balloon treatment, but I have not found anyone - primarily because most people will only have it in for six months, or 12 months tops. So maybe this is a mistake. But I hope not. I hope I can shift it all, and that when the next person comes along who is in a similar position to mine, they will find my story useful.

So wish me luck. Tomorrow my journey starts. Regardless of whether it is through balloons or surgery in the end, the weight is coming off. Period.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and look forward to watching your journey. You have a great mental attitude, and I really think this is the key to success .

Good luck for tomorrow tilli but i have no doubt you will be absolutely fine :). I'm looking forward to your regular updates here :) x

Done and dusted. Since Treacles named her balloon George I guess I will need to name mine (as I'm having triplets) Huey, Dewey and Louie. So welcome, Huey. I hope we will get along.

Managed to set off the alarm on the pulse machine as I was so nervous, and almost punched one of the nurses in the face when I started to panic, but I went through with it! My lovely consultant gave me twice the normal sedation dosage so was luckily quite out of it (though I do remember fragments of it).

Am having a hard time keeping liquids down, but am not really in pain at least.

Unfortunately they found some gastric polyps during the endoscopy so these have now been biopsed and I am freaking out a bit that they may be malignant - especially after the muppet nurse tells me "well they don't HAVE to be cancer". Way to calm a person!

Feeling very relieved that it is over at least.

Well done tiili!!! knew you could do it :D and I am so happy for you...also welcome to huey lol :)

Remember slow small teeny tiny sips of water tiili ;) x

Thanks Frankie :hug99:

Unfortunately Huey doesn't give a f* about how tiny the sips are, they all come up about an hour later. Earlier if I try to swallow a pill with it (making the Ondansetron pretty pointless). I have now moved on to ice lollies to see if they work better.

I try to look at it from the bright side though - puking your guts out 24/7 does make the weight shift pretty fast! ;)

Ice lollies are a good way to get the liquid in as it is so easy to get dehydrated at this point. Peppermint tea works for a lot of people but it didn't do it for me whilst ginger tea did help a bitty albeit that it was a few days in by then. I must admit I couldn't face any of my tablets for two weeks with the exception of my water tab and the Lansoprazole. Even my cpap was laid aside for this time as I just felt so awful. It does get better in time tiili xx

It's normal tiili unfortunately as I said keep up the fluid intake ... Jelly and lollies were a saviour at this time ;) xx

Four days in and still feeling awful. Can't keep any liquids or medication down - my head is practically attached to a bucket. I thought I was prepared for how rough the first days would be but I definitely underestimated how mentally draining it would be. I am dreaming of big jugs of ice water, just drinking and drinking without throwing up everything the next second.

The important thing is that you stay hydrated tiili. It is very much about taking the smallest tiniest of sips and leaving a minute or two between them. It may feel that this is all you are doing but it is important for you to do so. If you are really struggling to do this and keep any of the fluid you are drinking in then you really should contact your provider and let them know. I was sick for ten days but it did get easier by the time I hit the seven day mark but for a further month or so I was nearly always sick first thing in the morning. I would literally sit up at the edge of the bed and need to rush off to the bathroom to be sick. I also found in the settling in period that there was only way I could sleep .. For me this was on my left side otherwise it would be uncomfortable and eventually the nausea would set in. This proved to be a problem for me though as I have spinal problems and sleeping in one position is painful :(
What helped quite a bit was raising the head end of the bed up 4inches. Sorry I'm not much more help hun but it is a pretty rough ride in getting it to settle in :(

Day seven. I am now able to keep the Ondansetron down long enough for it to kick in so for the past two days I have only vomited about two times per day - a vast improvement on app 30 times per day.

As I can now keep some food down my energy levels are vastly improved. The first day I managed to actually make it to the shower was pure heaven. You do feel more human when you are clean and don't have dried vomit in your hair! :) My gp took one look at me and signed me off work for ten more days.

So while I am still fairly weak (going to the gp five mins away felt like a marathon) things are definitely improving.

To anybody contemplating this procedure, my first advice would be to make sure you are prepared for how rough the first week will be. Having spoken to Frankie and others on here I knew what I was getting myself in for and still it was extremely tough. Vomiting for a couple of days may not sound "that bad" but trust me, when you are puking your guts out every ten minutes at times, round the clock, unable to sleep, unable to stand up, unable to keep fluids down, unable to keep any medication down, for a whole week - it is very, very mentally draining.

But hopefully it will be worth it. Or let me rephrase that - I will make sure it is worth it.

Awww I'm so sorry hun but yes I did try and warn you in a gentle way because you are right in that the first week can prove to be horrendous. Last thing I wanted to do is put you & other people completely off having it done because I have made it sound positively awful.

I am so glad you are feeling better and you seem to have got past the worst of it now another week will see a big difference :) x

Thanks Frankie. I'm glad you did warn me, and I want to make sure other people are prepared for it as well. I definitely still think it is worth it, but I think you have to be reeeeeally motivated to make it through that first time. This is often advertised as "the non-invase option" etc etc and I think some people underestimate the side effects.

One of the doctors in recovery did mention to me that it is fairly common for people to come back within the first ten days and ask to have it removed. Obviously if you are having issues for several months (for a small percentage of people it never really settles) you do need to have it removed, but you have to be willing to put up with the side effects for that first week. If you are not, then it is a waste of time and money having it done - which, if you are having it on the nhs like me, possibly means taking away funding from someone else.

So to anybody reading this who is thinking of having a balloon: just be prepared, and make sure you are in the right frame of mind (in terms of motivation) before having it done.

...and to anybody reading this who has just had it in and feel like crap right now: hang in there, it WILL get better, this phase is just a hurdle you have to get over.

Thanks Frankie. I'm glad you did warn me, and I want to make sure other people are prepared for it as well. I definitely still think it is worth it, but I think you have to be reeeeeally motivated to make it through that first time. This is often advertised as "the non-invase option" etc etc and I think some people underestimate the side effects.

One of the doctors in recovery did mention to me that it is fairly common for people to come back within the first ten days and ask to have it removed. Obviously if you are having issues for several months (for a small percentage of people it never really settles) you do need to have it removed, but you have to be willing to put up with the side effects for that first week. If you are not, then it is a waste of time and money having it done - which, if you are having it on the nhs like me, possibly means taking away funding from someone else.

So to anybody reading this who is thinking of having a balloon: just be prepared, and make sure you are in the right frame of mind (in terms of motivation) before having it done.

...and to anybody reading this who has just had it in and feel like crap right now: hang in there, it WILL get better, this phase is just a hurdle you have to get over.

Yep hun it it is the 15th. Just one more week:eek:

You have it well sussed tiili ;) and you are sooo right that for something that is advertised as non invasive it ain't exactly plain sailing either or an easy way to lose the weight.
In all honesty it never really settled with me. My diet was so bland because my reflux had so many triggers and it took me a least three months to figure those out:sigh: My surgeon mentioned yesterday that he knew because of the large hiatal hernia that it would be highly likely I was going to suffer with reflux and for a great deal of people no amount of medication would have helped. He was amazed I had put up with it. I'm still taking 2 lanzaperole every morning and night to heal any damage caused by the acid.
Okay my diet is still bland due to the pre op but at least now I can have things like watered down orange juice, bovril, tomato juice, onion soup, ...Tonight I had mulligatawny soup and it was bloomin' heaven. I couldn't drink/eat any of the above with the balloon in. There is no doubt though that come 4weeks post op I will be screaming for change lol.
Thank you tiili for actually listening to me :p and good luck xx

Had my first meeting with the dietitian yesterday, who was absolutely lovely. She has now referred me for cognitive-behavioural therapy to treat the root of my food issues (as I am all about emotional eating). I know this is the right thing to do, but can not help but feel very uneasy about the thought of therapy (I have my reasons). It will be tough. Very tough.

But I am of course very grateful for all the support I am given, and I know I have to venture out of my comfort zone if I am to be able to find a sustainable way forward. I have dieted so often, but I have never really tackled the underlying cause of my overeating. It is time.

Hi Tiili :)

Having CBT/counselling was the best thing i did. I had counselling before and after my balloon, right upto after i had my bypass. (about 2 years in all)
It helped me deal with all the negatives feelings i was having and move on with my life. I can honestly say having the bypass has completely changed my life for the better.

Please go with the idea of CBT, it will help.

Nicky xx

Sooooo....

I have now had the balloon in for exactly one month and did a weigh-in today. I have lost 9 kgs (19.8 lbs) since insertion. That makes a total loss of 22 kgs (48.5 lbs) as I also lost 13 kgs from the time of my first appointment (mid-June) to actual insertion (end of July).

The balloon has now settled completely. I feel a bit sick now and then if I'm in the tube, bumpy car ride or walking/moving too quickly etc (think it is the motion that makes the liquid in the balloon move around that creates that sickening feeling in the stomach) - but not to the point where I vomit.

Huey - I forgive you for all the vomiting you caused when I first had you.

Back