• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confuddled

discojen

:confused:

I've been for the seminar tonight and am now more confused than I was before!

I went in with my mind set on a band, but the surgeon really sold the bypass, stating that the risk of having complications within 5 years (with a band) is 1 in 5?!

So, could anyone help with stating their case, whether for the band or bypass to help me with the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance x

I think the major complication with the bad is it slipping, which when you consider how restrictive the diet is it's no surprise really. I was looking at banding first, but now I'm going for the wrap because I didn't want a device inside me that could move around

Hi

Was it a group meeting?, sorry dont know what a seminar is in the context of WLS.

I would say if he/she was saying 1 in 5 bands that they fit fail then I wouldnt want them to fit me one either!?

With all due respect to the previous poster and everyone that posts after me, everyone will be in favour of the op they had.

You need to decide which op is best for you. Bands work best for volume eaters with maybe not as much weight to lose as some.

As you have over 150lb to lose maybe the bypass would be more suited - maybe. Be honest about your eating habbits, research and let the surgeon guide you xx

When i went to my first meeting i was in the same quandary! But after doing online research and talking to the doctors i opted for the bypass especially with the amount of weight i had to lose. Do your homework it is a big decision to make. Goodluck.

A lot of it depends on your eating habits too.
I like sweet snacks (although I like savoury ones too) and I like biiiig portions at meal times, therefore my consultant recommended a bypass.

Also weight loss is meant to be greater with a bypass, although there's people on here who have lost lots with the band.

Finally type 2 diabetes clears up in 85% of bypassers who had it previous to their op.

As someone else said its a huge decision, take time to read up on all your options, also when you meet your consultant they'll give you some idea of what they think is best for you.
Em xxxxx

I was everything ... Sweet eater, grazer, volume eater ... And the reason I chose the band was that I wanted less invasive surgery than the bypass. I love my band and what it's done for me and I have lost what I think to be a decent amount of weight in less than 12 months. The chance of band slippage is less nowadays as they stitch them. With all operations there is going to be a risk however, from going under the anaesthetic in the first to the procedure itself, then to the ongoing lifestyle change needed afterwards. Being overweight comes with its own risks anyway ... How many morbidly obese pensioners do you see? People who have had their surgery to the surgeons themselves ... We will all have our views/preferences ... As the ladies have said ... Do plenty of research, go in open-eyed and prepared to work with whichever choice you make. YOU are your own greatest asset!

Exciting :D

flutterby1966 said:
I was everything ... Sweet eater, grazer, volume eater ... And the reason I chose the band was that I wanted less invasive surgery than the bypass. I love my band and what it's done for me and I have lost what I think to be a decent amount of weight in less than 12 months. The chance of band slippage is less nowadays as they stitch them. With all operations there is going to be a risk however, from going under the anaesthetic in the first to the procedure itself, then to the ongoing lifestyle change needed afterwards. Being overweight comes with its own risks anyway ... How many morbidly obese pensioners do you see? People who have had their surgery to the surgeons themselves ... We will all have our views/preferences ... As the ladies have said ... Do plenty of research, go in open-eyed and prepared to work with whichever choice you make. YOU are your own greatest asset!

Exciting :D

Ditto ditto ditto :)

The band can be reversed and removed should you have issues, however if you have issues with a bypass you just have to deal with it.
I know a lady, well a friend of my mothers I don't know her personally. But she had a bypass and she had every complication going, she almost died and I am not being dramatic because obviously your decision either way as no effect on me so I have no reason to lie. She had to have emergency ops on the NHS and really regrets it.
However should I develope any complications with my band I can simply have it removed. I would hope that in 5 years I had lost the weight I want to anyway and feel would be able to maintain that weight loss.
If you are going private I suggest that perhaps they are pushing the bypass as it is twice the price of a band. I just had a band fitted last saturday and did last year read every horror story going and put it off. Again this year I decided to read the more positive route of information and feel I have made the best decision for me.
Please just be informed and whichever one you choose just as long as you are happy with your decision it does not really matter what anyone else thinks even people at ''seminars''.
Good luck :)

i chose the bypass as i knew someone who cheated with the band eating chocolate and icecream and didnt lose any weight so i was affraid i might do the same
the bypass is a life changing operation though and you need to think carefully about it as it cant be reversed
good luck with you decision and future surgery what ever you decide its worth it xx

i had a band in may 2011 lost nearly 3stone in 5 mouths got someone how didnt no wot thier were doin for my fill in oct 2011 ,so all went wrong from thier, so dont no if band is any good and the lady i got the idea from lost 9stone got some fluid taken out to go on hols came back put the same amount of fluid back in with no restriction at all now she has found out that she has no fluid in,, as for me i wen for xray to find 3.5 mls missin after the oct fill and is still not sorted so think carefuly if your payin as nhs will not do anything to help if things go wrong unless your life at risk . take care

I think you have to consider your eating habits, I filled in a huge questionaire and after looking at the my surgeon suggested the bypass. I also think that with all ops you can get around them if you choose to, as they keep saying its a tool its not going to work if you don't use it properly.

Ditton an what everyone else has said i too am going for bypass feel its the best option for me and lasts for life so yes you really need to be sure

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am NHS, not private so cost isn't a factor.

My main problem is the surgery. There is a far greater risk surely with bypass?

One of the other issues with the bypass is that I just can't imagine never being able to eat sugar again, will I not be able to eat a slice of my daughter's wedding cake, for example? (She's 9 so not an immediate issue, lol) Also, I bake an awful lot, mostly for other people. Would it be hell to do that when I couldn't taste it? What if I need to taste something?

Think I'm just a bit scared.

Have you considered a gastric sleeve? I've been asked to consider that when I was originally going for a bypass. The major advantage is that you don't have the malabsorption that you get with bypass, as the sleeve doesn't interfere with the plumbing. You should also be able to eat a relatively normal diet - just much much less of it....

I was informed at my seminar that the Bypass can be reversed in extreme cases (as they leave the stomach insitu) but it should be considered permanent, as should the band. The sleeve cannot be reversed as they remove around 3/4 of the stomach.

There's also the gastric wrap which a lot of people are going for and having success with but I don't know much about it other than the stomach is folded and stiched rather than cut away.

Lots to think about, though you've got to do what's right for you at the end of the day.

At my group session we were told that there was less risk getting a bypass than getting your tonsils out!
Just to reiterate what everyone is saying, you need to take a bit of time to research your options before choosing which op is for you.
Good luck.
Em xxxx

My tastes are starting to change so I have no desire for sweet things. My dietician has siad even with a bypass you can have a very small amount of things such as wedding cake, it will be up to how your body reacts. She also said one malteser and not the whole packet, but for me that would be the slippery slope, for me best I don't go anywhere near them!!!

Back