• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass booked for 19.7.2010

yorkshirelass74

Hi everyone, i have just registered tonight, i am booked in for a bypass on Monday afternoon, am scared to death, but determind, does anyone have any hints or tips that might help me on my journey at the beginning, any feedback would be much appreciated x

Thanks hun, its nice of you to reply, do you know when you are having your op?

Hiya yorkshirelass just thaught id say hi as im originally from yorkshire too (sheffield) ive no idea really as to bypass as ive just had my first apointment at derby hospital today! but i wish you all the luck in the world, try not to get too worked up about it because like many on here it will all be worth it in the end once your propper skinny and luving it just keep focused on that xxx all the best xxxx

Hi Yorkshirelass74 welcome to the forum.

I had my bypass 6 months ago and I've never been happier. That's not to say it hasn't been hard, there have been times when I've cried my heart out wondering what on earth I've done to myself. Most bypassers go through this and although the first 2 months are the most difficult, it does get better.

My biggest tip is to listen to what your body is telling you. Follow your advice from your provider with regards to what to eat after surgery (it's different for each surgeon) but as soon as you feel any fullness, stop. Rest and recouperate immediately after surgery and get everyone else to do everything for you, including taking you to the loo etc.

If you have any more specific questions, please just ask!

Best of luck xx

Hi Yorkshirelass, i'm almost 5 weeks post op and am very blessed that i've had it fairly easy. Others haven't been as lucky with food etc!

My best advice to you is this: Rest as much as you can whilst still getting up and moving around regularly to help shift the wind pain, this was the worse pain i encountered. Friends and family will all want to visit you when you're at home but if you can keep visitors to essentials, you can always keep up with how you're doing via a social network site or ask one person to be a point of contact so that endless phone calls aren't disturbing you in the first few days. Drink, drink and drink some more, the more fluids you can get in the better. Make sure you're stocked up with soups, sugar free jelly and all the other things you can eat post op, your providers dietician will tell you what you can eat....

Basically get as organised as you can before you go in...

If you want to add me to facebook i'll happily offer all the support i can [email protected]

Good luck and hope to see you sitting happily on the losers bench real soon xx

:welcome:Welcome to the site Yorkshirelass, and i hope your op goes well - come back when you've recouperated and let us know how you are getting on... :wavey:

I'm just at the starting line - waiting for a response to GP's initial referral.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Hi and :welcome: There is all the advice and support you could ever need here. Please ask whatever you want as there is always somebody here ready and willing to offer their support :D X

Blimey, you are a friendly lot! thanks for your replys and well wishing, i am not even sure i know how to use this post and thread thing properly, so i hope i am doing it right. I havent told too many people that i am having the op. i still feel quite ashamed and cross with myself that i am having to take such drastic measures all because i cant get any self control where food is concerned.

i decided to do it a long time ago, and then ended up getting pregnant, so i promised myself i would do it after the baby was born, my beautiful princess arrived in January, and since then i have steadily put weight on.
So i decided that i would have the operation, borrowed the money to go private, and was done and booked within 6 weeks, so i am lucky, really really lucky. My op is booked for Monday at Sheffield Claremont with Roger Ackroyd (who is so DISHY! lol)

The pre op diet is the most horrible diet i have ever been on,(and there have been a few!) mine is as follows
Breakfast - slimfast or 2 eggs however you want them
Lunch - 2 oxo cubes and hot water
Dinner - piece of white fish or chicken
plus 5 portions of fruit or veg mostly 80g of most things.

But its only for 14 days, its not the end of the world i suppose.
Jaxx will i really need someone to take me to the loo? I have had 3 Caesarian Sections, and i was hoping that this op wouldnt be as debilitating as they are, but at least i could get to the loo ok!

Hi and welcome to the forums, good luck with your bypass, mine was done privately 18 months ago, you will be totally amazed at how things go. Which WLS provider are you using? I also borrowed the money to get it done and still no regrets.

Listen to your body, rest when you need too, only light duties to start with and no lifting things so you can heal. Will take you about aweek to be able to lie flat at night, and you WILL be sore although the degree depends on the person.

If you can i would have someone around who can support you and do the things you struggle with. It takes around 12 weeks to FULLY get your energy levels back but you will find you are able to get about fairly quickly.

Hi Tender
Thank you for that, i dont know why, whether its because it is done by keyhole surgery, or because i was told i would only need 3 weeks off work, but i thought i would be fit ready for action within about a week! I am glad i came on here now, i wont be as shocked! I was hoping that despite being over 22 stone, i am fairly fit, i completed the race for life 5k in just under an hour, that i would be running after the kids in a week! high expectations or what!
I am chose WLS group to have my bypass with, i was quite impressed with their aftercare package, and also wasnt as expensive as some of the others out there.
x

Hi Yorkshirelass, i had my surgery 'open' which involves an 8 inch scar down my front but i was sleeping flat on the second night (pure bloody mindedness mind you). Three weeks off work is a bit optimistic as you will be surprised how tired you are feeling post op. I could still nap in the afternoons quite easily and i'm 5 weeks out. I'd suggest if you can manage more and need more then have the time off to recover properly....

Try and delegate as much as you can at home for the first few weeks, even now i'm only putting the vac around (although my provider says no housework/lifting for at least 6 weeks) and carrying light shopping.

Good luck with your surgery and i hope you heal quickly and the losses are super for you xx

just wanted to say hi and im a newbie to.. im still post op and im going for the lapband hope you have a speedy recovery and best of luck xx

Hi Julie
Thanks for that, i am lucky work wise, in that i am still on maternity leave until the end of September, i wonder if the recovery time is different for open surgery than it is for key hole surgery.
only 4 sleeps to go until D Day!!
Mona xx

Hi Tray
ooooh thats fab!!! How are you feeling? What pre op diet have you been doing, and how have you been finding it, i have been for my final blood test this morning, so now its just count down. Its nice knowing someone else will be going through the same as me at the same time as me, its kind of reasuring. Let me know how you are getting on,
Mona xxxx

Tray,
We are even at a similar weight!!!! Same operation on same day, we could have been separated at birth!!!!
Mona xxx

Hi and welcome I'm new too. Its my partner who's going for the op. He's on day 3 of the milk diet. Op booked for 27.07.2010. Best of wishes to you I'll be thinking about ya. Make sure you let us know how you get on.
Jemx xo

Back