• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

*can* you eat too much 6 weeks out?

Dell

I am 6.5 weeks postop and over the last couple of days seem to have been able to eat bigger meals.

I made toad in the hole last night for the family and plated myself a small plate up, but had a piece of Yorkshire, a sausage, a tablespoon or so of mash, some carrot and white cabbage and it looked a LOT (well compared to my normal meals) and I managed almost all of it with no problem.

Then today I had 5 Ikea meatballs, which I baked in the oven in a tomato/garlic/smoked paprika sauce I made and ate them slowly and carefully and managed all that too (I had nothing else with it, just the balls and sauce).

I just feel its a lot, well its not, it less than a quarter of my old portion size, if not even less than that - but compared to a couple of weeks back when I started on Real Food...

everybodies different, veg is really easy to digest i could eat as much veg as i wanted from week 4, Not sure about the sausage and meatballs, but yorkshire pudding breaks down well cos its crunchy x

I did wonder about the veg actually, esp cabbage, it goes to nothing I guess, the dietician the other day did say if I start having salad it will feel I am eating MASSES of it, as it chews to nothing.....I don't know why I am worried when what I eat and how much has altered SO much, but I bet most of us do it at some point!!
Thank you :)

I did wonder about the veg actually, esp cabbage, it goes to nothing I guess, the dietician the other day did say if I start having salad it will feel I am eating MASSES of it, as it chews to nothing.....I don't know why I am worried when what I eat and how much has altered SO much, but I bet most of us do it at some point!!
Thank you :)
If the weights coming off dont worry xx

It is! Thrilled to find another 7 lbs gone since 30 Oct....altho as I originally said "I am only weighing monthly" Husband was a bit :mad: at me for checking :p

I think over a period of time it suddenly can hit us how much more we are eating than say 5 or 6 weeks ago.... Just pick good healthy full of protein meals and don't worry as the weight comes off xx

I can eat that much and have been able to since week 6. I've recently discussed it with my surgeon and the dietician. I sent the dietician a food diary and she sent me a report back.

The surgeon said you can't really stretch your pouch this early on and if you eat far too much you will be sick - where you sick?

The dietician said my portion sizes are fine.

So I say you're doing ok :D

I think your doing ok too....I find sometimes I can eat more than others and I agree veggies and mash just slide right through and I could lots more. I do find I can eat less meat products so as long as you try and eat the meaty bits first I dont think you can eat TOO much :D XX

I've never been sick yet (thankfully), so personally wouldn't rely on that as an indicator as to whether you may have eaten too much or not. I would think logically that we are far more likely to eat a slighter larger portion now, than we were a week or two after our ops. Also, I know personally I can eat more some days than I can others...and there does not seem to be any rhyme nor reason behind it. Additionally, you need to consider what you are eating; any foods that may be a bit more sloppy or liquid that usual, would again probably mean you may well be able to eat a bit more than normal. Looking at things realistically, even with eating a bit more some days, try to compare it to what you could put away before your op...I'm sure you are only eating a tiny amount compared to then. Like Julie says, I think if you feel ok, and are steadily losing weight, try not to focus too much on what you are managing to eat day to day now xxx

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :) I am definitely eating healthy foods, no snacks, no sweet stuff, no fatty stuff, plenty of protein, so I need to stop worrying and get a grip :D

I think the worst meal (in my eyes anyway!) that I have had was the toad in the hole, only because sausages seem SO naughty :D

Why couldn't I be so committed for the last 20 years, huh? ;)

I AM sick when I have overeaten or eaten too fast and none of the above caused that, so I must be doing ok :)

Thanks again!
x

Also dont forget that for the first few weeks or so your pouch will be really swollen from the op so when the swelling goes down youll be able to fit more in anyway :D xx

Back