• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Chronic constipation serious advice needed pls

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi sorry for such a graphic post if u have not had ur breaky or ur squirmish pls dont read :)

I do suffer from constipation and piles as i take very strong opiate meds so that is one of the side effects but usually i control it with dulco ease and some laxatives when needed.
Have been constipated for 72 hrs and spent 45 mins on the loo just now, eventually i managed to go although very painful and was shocked when i looked in the loo to see so much fresh blood as if its Totm which is def not.
Am sure i dont have piles at the mo but used a suppository for it just as a precaution, am sure i have just torn myself really badly.

What i need is something i can get over the counter that i can take daily, not a laxative but something to make sure this does not happen.
Can anyone pls suggest something to me as this was scary and very painful.

Sorry again for such a graphic post so early in the morning, thanks and take care xxx

a stool softner could help
movicol is a good one, draws water into the bowels to soften things up to make them easier to pass

Hi Roch,

I feel your pain - literally!

Over the counter stuff can be bought - something like abnesol I think I may have the spelling incorrect, but it's the stuff with a smiliar name to the mouth ulcer stuff! :D

I used this, but it didn't do me any good. I still have trouble, but now I'm off VLCD it's a little better. I had to go to hospital and the consultant prescribed Glycerol Trinitrate (which is also used for anginea) but in this case it's a suppository cream which relaxes the blood vessels and allows healing. It works wonders but it does cause headaches and slight dizziness and some drowsiness for about an hour. I use it twice per day and/or after a painful stool as I ALWAYS rip and bleed - feels like I'm pooing shards of glass and it can take me up to an 1.5hrs to poo.

Ask your doctor about glyceryl trinitrate (also known as Rectolgesic).

HTHs

I have read on the Chichester leaflets that Milpar (Magnesium Hydroxide) is recommended although this is quite gentle and you may need something else to blast you if you are really constipated. I also suffer this way so I will get some stocks in.......Good luck Roch and let me know how you get on.

Fizzy xx

I was going to suggest movicol too, it is excellent and the only thing I have found that works when I (rarely thank goodness) get very constipated

Hi guys ty for ur answers, well the pharmacist said Fibregel but when my bariatric team called me they said noooooo i should take Lactolose and senna liquid.
Got the lactolose could not get senna liquid but will try it and see, ty again xxx

Hi Roch
I too suffer really badly from chronic constipation always have since i was a child. Movicol is the only thing that works for me too its gentle too. You can buy it over the counter but cheaper on prescription. I still take a sachet a day to keep me as normal as possible but you initially use it three times a day. Hope you feel better soon its def not the nicest xx

HI Roch,

Ok this is not pleasant and you may need help but glycerin capsules is what you need. They have to be inserted thats the unpleasant bit. Then you have to hold on for as long as you can but once you let them get too work they are brilliant and help things along softly and smoothly (trying to say it politely here:))

They are available from any chemist and work wonders. I have used them when i had my kids and at other times too.

take Care and hope it gets better.

Paula XX

Flaxseed is very good you can get it in capsules, or milled to put on food at holland and barret, also actimel yoghurts with fibre written on them are very good. I had a terrible time with constipation, and when I passed the stool, (omg) thought I would pass out. Hope you get something that suits you, take care.

Jeanx

Linseed is good as well I take movicol as well. Was told to stay away from lactulose as its just sugar

I was told to use lactulose. It took a few days of the highest dose but it did eventually help. I still suffer now and again so I take a couple of teaspoons every few days to help keep things as normal as possible.

The only thing with lactulose is that it is very sweet and syrupy so I am not sure if it is ok for bypassers.

It is such an awful thing so I hope you get sorted soon x

Im sorry youre suffering and cant really offer much help but when I was freshly post-op I had a bowel movement some bright red blood was found and it too looked like totm bleeding, freaked me out but I took it that it was something to do with the internal stitches. It only happened once.
I hope you get some proper relief soon xx
Steph xx

I have really suffered with the same problem since my bypass, the hospital sent me home with Lactulose, and when I had problems recommended the glycerin suppositories, which are currently the only way I can go. I had so much bleeding 2nd week post op it has stopped.
Hope you get it sorted.
Bunny x

Sorry to hear your suffering huni.

I do know what your talking about though I really suffered after the op I was about 4-6 weeks post op and I started with severe pains one day and thought it was something to do with op and turns out it was constipation.

I spoke to my doc who gave me me some small enima's to use to help with back log(sorry to be crude) that was already packed in then I started with one Senna a night. I was on Senna for around 4 months, I finally came off senna about 4 weeks ago and went on to 2 movicol a night then one and now I have none.

I think the fact that i have at least 3 litres a day helps keep me regular.

Hope this helps huni.

Oh so sorry to hear you're suffering Roch. Long term I suppose you need to consider how you can get more fibre in. Have you got a blender or smoothie maker to whizz some fruits down to liquid? Perhaps that will help. You don't really want to rely on meds for too long I'm sure.

i use lactolose available over the counter and by prescription

but i have to be carefull with the amount as if i take too much i get the runs .

i have had a lot of gyny problems before and after my bypass and every time i go nill by mouth for a procedure i am bunged for nearlty a week and in agony and feel awfull all week so i fully simpathise with you.

i used to take the amount recomended on the bottle prior to the bypass but since my bypass i only take 5 mls in some cordial in the evening and as long as i measure it and dont guess i am fine.

i also find that as soon as i up my fluids i get more regular. angela

i take benifiber daily and when things were bad was on 2 ducolax daily prescribed by the dr.
Have you started on yr supplimnts as the iron tabs can also cause constipation if it continues to be a problem ask about going on the liquid iron.

Welcome to my world hun! DEFO get some glyceryn suppositories to help you at that end, and movicol can help but if you are seriously constipated have more than 1 sachet - water is also great - I know that sounds rubbish but it really helps hydrate you and your stools...sip sip sip and get more water in than ever!
I take 1 sennakot at night and if that still doesnt help combined with the above - go to docs.
I really cant big up the glyceryn suppositories enough! x

Back