• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you need to eat soup slowly?

My surgeon Mr Sigurdsson told me that most people think that bands work like a bypass whereas you only fill up a small pouch and you are full but it actually works to do with the band causing restriction around the top of your stomach and something to do with nerves. He told me to watch Paul O'Briens 8 golden rules which I have since done. Basically your food pipe (can't spell the proper word!) squeezes the food along and stops when it gets to your band, some goes through but the rest goes back up a little and takes between 2 and 6 squeezes to get passed the band so your brain thinks you have had more food. This is why you have to eat slowly so the food before goes completely through the band. So if you eat soup (on liquids only) do you still have to eat slowly or does liquid just go straight through?

Has anyone else heard this is the way the band works?????

Whichever surgery you have had eating slowly is the best way cos you will know about it if you dont.Either come back the way it went down or get stuck!

Thanks Neen. I'm still trying to get my head round how the bands works. I'm the type that had to know all the workings before I can fully embrace something. Every sip I take I try to imagine what us happening inside.

I thought I understood it all but then the Paul O'brien film really threw me. I'm sure my surgeon wouldn't have told me to watch it if it wasn't correct, he said he used to give everyone a DVD of it before someone pointed out that you could watch it on You Tube.

Yes, I do agree with that. I had POSE 2 days ago and even crushing down the various meds I've to take along with sips of water has to be done slowly. You sort of feel a backing-up of everything - it's like it needs time to go down.

Back