• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dry Mouth

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
Hi

I am now 3 weeks since I had my bypass.

I am suffering really badly from a dry mouth, particularly at night where I wake up and I can barely move my mouth it's so dry it has almost solidified! I am constantly waking up with smelly breath, and a couple of times my mouth has had a horrible coating on it, that looks like dried blood.

I have never had anything like this before. It's not so bad during the day, but it's definitely drier than usual. I really struggled singing at church today (which is awkward as I am in the band).

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Rx

I wake up with a dry mouth and bad breath since the op, but its not as bad as you have described...

when I wake up, my first thought is yuk... but then my second thought is bad breath = ketosis = fat burning!!

Are you on any kind of medication?? The reason I ask is because certains meds do give u dry mouth/smelly breath etc. If you are it might be worth mentioning this to your GP. My mum had dry mouth with her meds (not wls related) and her GP changed the meds and this dry mouth syndrome dissapeared.....HTH

All the best - xxMeJuliexx

Hi Rose,

I'm the same, I'm ok after a drink though, pre op I used to wake up in the middle of the night thirsty and ahve a drink but i've found that i'm sleeping right through so am not drinking.

I do find i'm cleaning my teeth a lot more and my OH is always saying how smelly my breath is..lol

I also find after taking my Urdox tablets that my mouth is dry, I really want to gulp some fluid..btu know i can't.

I don't know the solution except maybe drink more...and hopefully as Sambucca says its fat burning...

Hi
Thanks for all the messages.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me that the smelly breath was ketosis!! I thought there was something wrong with me. Anyway I just dipsticked my urine and yes... I am producing ketones+++

That's been a good boost to me regarding my weight loss too as I have been worrying about that, but if I am in ketosis then of course my body is burning fat! Sorry if this seems obvious but I had a bit of a lightbulb moment!

Well I am just gonna have to lump the dry mouth for now I guess and fingers crossed it gets better. Thank goodness for that bottle of water I take to bed.

G'night

Rx

Rose, I have had a dry mouth since op and its annoying tbh. I have started taking a pint glass of juice to bed with me and sipping when I wake up. It has eased a little bit but its still there. I am also in ketosis which is a good thing in small doses, so I guess i can live with it. :D

Pop to Boots and get a bottle of Dry Mouth spray. I've gone through several bottles since I had my surgery and won't be without it now. Just keep it by the bed, it should do the trick.

hi rose, i was exactly rhe same and still am some days. On a routine appt. the GP said I had ketones but said the levels were more likely to be dehydration. I was drinking plenty but cos of my diabetes i was told to drink even more and it did help. Don't know about you though but I feel as though my whole day revolves around drinking!!!!!!
xxx

Back