• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-op Blues

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
Is there such a thing?

It's 2 weeks since my op, and I am feeling optimistic but frustrated and a bit scared.

And I am tearful, particularly in the evenings, but for no reason that I can think of. I am really sensitive all of a sudden, crying at the news or when the children misbehave, so not like me at all.

I have never suffered from any form of depression, and I don't feel depressed, just tearful.

Has anybody else felt like this?

Thanks

Rx

Absolutely, you sound like you have post-op blues. They are very common, at just 2 weeks out you are healing, fatigued, still have a bit of anesthetic swimming around in your system! Let's not forget that you also have been through a highly emotional process as well, and now that you are on the other side there can be a bit of a depressive effect because you have a new relationship with food and you aren't thin yet. We live in an instant gratification world and if you are like me at all, you spent months maybe even years focusing all your energy on gearing up for surgery. Now you have had it, it is probably dawning on you that the surgery was the beginning of something not the finale. Does that make sense? You are not alone feeling tearful, it is both a common physical reaction and a common emotional reaction to a huge change in your life.

Baby yourself, reward yourself for being brave and try and relax. You will find once you have healed a bit more and have come to terms with eating & drinking enough you will feel so much better. Once you can get in a few more calories, you will also feel increased energy which will help lighten you mood. Until then, come here and moan, we all are happy to support you. Cool thing is that many of us have been right where you are and can relate, as well as promise it gets better!

Big (((HUGS)))
Nic:D

I think its like looking forward so much to something then wham its been and gone,as PG says its natural and only the beginning of the new you.

Rose, I feel exactly the same, strangely I'm ok during the day but by evening i swing between anger, frustration to lethargy and tears. My poor OH is getting the brunt of how im feeling but i cant make him understand how I feel cos i dont totally understand it myself. I went through all this with the band and now the bypass but still dont understand it.....never mind, one thing i do know is that it doesnt last for too long..xx

Thank you so much for asking this. I am exactly the same as well.
it is really wierd isn't it ? you wait for so long and then I agree with other posts, it is like coming crashing down. But there will be loads of highs an we will be slimmer !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I sure felt it. At 6 weeks out & then again at a few months out. Food didn't taste good, I was afraid of what I'd done to myself, etc. It's not uncommon & should let up as you get your strength back & feel more like your 'new' self. If it lasts more than a month, tho, I'd try & see a therapist. I had one since preop days & she really helped.

I hope you feel better soon, it will pass - youve had a big op try and be kind to you x

Thankfully as you can see you are not alone in what you are experiencing...just knowing that others have gone through it should help some.

Lots of hugs and take care

Snow

Thanks so much for all these replies. Nice to know I am not as abnormal as I feel. I am so lucky to have found this board and thankful to you all for your support.
Rx

Back