• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping is not a myth.

I am four weeks post op today and I have been extremely careful with my food and portions. In fact I am a bit scared to eat in case I would dump or do damage. However, recently I was aware that I needed to up my intake of protein and I spent a hour walking around the supermarket looking at labels for high protein foods. I was very pleased to discover a kind of salmon mousse that was very high protein and last night I had a spoonful, then another and another but I stopped before I was full. It was gorgeous.

However, after a hour or so, I had the worst experience ever in that I felt faint, dizzy and you guessed it, the whole thing and more came back out again. It was not pleasant and I was glad I was in my own home (alone)

When I looked at the label again this morning I realised that it had 30% fat!!!!! I was so annoyed with myself. I always look at the fat and sugar content but this time I was so engrossed in getting protein in that I over looked it.

Well at least I know my bypass is working and I guess it is all part of the learning curve. And I now know for sure that dumping is a reality and and experience I dont want to repeat.!!!!:(

I have only had a very noticable dump on sugar but fat does make me very windy and feel a bit icky.
Dumping sucks for sure!!
Steph xx

I'm being very carefull to avoid sugar and fat at the moment, so I should be ok. :eek:

Pray it stays that way Kim, the sugar dump wasnt because I ate something sweet, it was a total brain fart and involved probably five grains of sugar!! And I try to go as low fat as possible but some days my tummy doesnt like ANY fat.
Steph xx

(((HUGS))) Dumping is completely awful. I hope it doesn't happen to you again. I have no issues with fats but sugar is awful.

I got dumping syndrome from eating what I thought was a healthy breakfast cereal but it's sugar content was enormous!! I was very ill for 2 days (not realising what was causing it, i continued eating the flipping stuff!!) and couldn't get out of bed I felt so weak. I've not been so bad with fats though, but perhaps because I've been avoiding them is the reason why.

i have such a fear of dumping because i constantly have special needs children who are totally dependant with me that i think i am over cautiouse at times. Saying that i really havent missed anything and am loving my new way of eating.
It dosn't take me as long to do my shopping now and friends are no longer afraid to cook for me as they know one of my fav meals is a nice juicy steak with pepper sauce and salad.
hope it doesnt happen again
carole

I know I tempting fate, but I haven't dumped yet. It is bound to happen sometime, I just hope it s not when I'm out and about.

On the subject of fat, as Mixxy mentioned in his thread about fats, you do need a certain amount of some fats to aid the digestion, also for the general condition of the body such as skin. The skin can get very dry without some fat in the diet.

Oh, there's so much to learn...

oh dear hun its not nice is it, being over a year out i can tolerate most things but i do get bad stomach if i eat too much fat :sigh: and if i eat something really sweet i will dump but it varies according to how much sugar is in food :sigh:.
Hope you feel better :)

Thanks for your comments guys. I feel better now. It was an one off (hopefully) and a lesson.

Awwwwww hun that sucks. Hope you're feeling better now!!!

xxxxx

ouch - it's awful - and sometimes so unexpected.

:(

Sorry to butt in peeps but I cant believe that your height ,weight goal ect is practicly identical to mine shaz!! thats it! your my new twin buddy Lol:8855:
oh dear hun its not nice is it, being over a year out i can tolerate most things but i do get bad stomach if i eat too much fat :sigh: and if i eat something really sweet i will dump but it varies according to how much sugar is in food :sigh:.
Hope you feel better :)

Back