• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is dumping forever?

sukies

Hi guys, i was just wondering if in a few years will i be able to eat normally again like: crisps, chocolate, ice cream, sweets without dumping? And does the bypass stretch in time? coz ive just seen posts that says about people eating them again.

dumping is forever sweets from what ive read.... and i suppose if people know they can eat these things without dumping, then old habits creep in and the pouch stretches.... eeeeeek.... so someone might dump on choc and not crisps, so these creep back in...

Dumping is different for everyone, some people don't dump at all, some only for the first year, some randomly and some forever!

I'm almost 3 years post op and still dump quite easily, but I know my limits and it's rare I actually do dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I want the full dumping package, just as a security net.

Although I plan to be really good afterwards "Will I?" is a very big question...

I hope I do dump, I work better under fear.

What is Dumping Syndrome?
Also called "rapid gastric emptying", dumping syndrome occurs when the lower section of the small intestine (jejunum) fills up too quickly with undigested food from the stomach, causing unpleasant digestive effects. Dumping syndrome can also be triggered in gastric surgery patients by consumption of simple carbohydrates (sugar, or some starches) or carbs with a high glycemic index.
Types of Dumping Syndrome
There are two variants of rapid gastric emptying: early and late dumping. "Early" dumping typically starts during or immediately after a meal. Early dumping symptoms include: abdominal cramps, bloating, palpitations, nausea, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, and shortness of breath. By contrast, late dumping typically occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include: weakness, dizziness and fatigue.
What Causes Dumping Syndrome?
Bariatric surgery is the main cause of dumping syndrome because it changes the anatomy and normal digestive functioning of the stomach and also (in the case of gastric bypass) the small intestine. It may also reduce the amount of digestive juices from the stomach and pancreas. Another, much rarer cause of dumping is Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Treatment For Dumping Syndrome
Patients who suffer from rapid gastric emptying need to change their eating habits and consume several small meals a day - preferably including foods that are low in carbs, especially refined sugars. In addition, they should not drink liquids with their food. Lastly, patients should ensure that all food is chewed thoroughly.
Dumping Syndrome - Bad Eating Indicator After Bariatric Surgery
Dumping syndrome is not a big health risk. Rather, it's an indicator to gastric surgery patients that they are (1) eating too much, or too fast; (2) eating too many sugary carbs. In practice, most bariatric patients do not experience more than 2-3 episodes of serious dumping.

In practice, most bariatric patients do not experience more than 2-3 episodes of serious dumping.
All I need is one bad experience.

No one ever believes I don't snack in the evenings, but I am so fearful of bad acid reflux burning my windpipe - it is a no brainer - I don't eat in the evenings. Bring on the first dump!

why would u want to eat sweets choclate or ice cream thats partly the proplem alot of people have gastric surgeryim 6 weeks post op fro a by pass and its changed my life for ever i couldnt go back to my old life of bingein on chocloate sweets etc the comments from people saying im looking so good is better than any sweet in the world
brad x

I've never dumped and now i can eat anything, crisps, chocolate, ice cream etc the only difference is now i know when to stop, if i want something i will have it but in moderation, its amazing before i had my op i was told by people i would never be able to have this and have that but i do though i'me extremely careful that i dont have too much too often.

I can eat chocolate, crisps and sweets, I don't binge and know my limits, i.e. quantities - it's nice to be normal.

I do dump from time to time, it's a good reminder not to push yourself too much.

why would u want to eat sweets choclate or ice cream thats partly the proplem alot of people have gastric surgeryim 6 weeks post op fro a by pass and its changed my life for ever i couldnt go back to my old life of bingein on chocloate sweets etc the comments from people saying im looking so good is better than any sweet in the world
brad x

You don't have to eat sugary things to dump. I've dumped on cupasoup and baked beans:rolleyes:

It's very individual.. as others have said. I have dumped a few times, early on and even about a month ago.
Then again today (I'm about 4.5 months out) I had a slice of fruit cake with butter and a cornetto ice cream! NO PROBLEM whatsoever. Now I'm not saying this is my daily diet, quite the opposite, it's an exception to the rule. But I haven't dumped or felt unwell at any time today. I find that if I overdo it over the course of 48 hours say, then all of a sudden I will dump. It's almost like my body is keeping count of my side steps or 'bad foods' and it will then tell me off eventually.

You've gotta bring your own willpower, I'm afraid! The pouch is not doing it all for you. That's my experience anyway.

There are some of us who have to have a very high calorie high fat diet post op (I aim for 3500-4000 cals per day) due to chronic malabsorption, so I graze on sugary foods through the day sometimes, or eat simple carbs like pizza and pasta, and have ice creams and even the occasional full sugar pepsi! I also have ensure plus drinks for extra calories on prescription which are moderately high in sugar and if I drink one too fast I dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I don't dump very easily but certain foods with too much sugar in will give me really bad headaches.
I am very careful with fluids in particular where sugar levels are concerned.

I can and do on occasion eat crisps and have recently had my first ice cream since my surgery a year ago (had done a few miles walk on a really hot day and CRAVED one lol)
I do stay away from fizzy drinks tho...was never a big fan of them any way.

and yes over time the stomach pouch willl stretch to a certain extent, but know your limits and don't push it too far :)

I didn't know we sleevers could dump, but I dump on bread, even a single slice, which is really horrid cos I've loved bread since I was a kid! So now we don't have it in the house at all!

Also it seems the info about drinks with food is right... often if I've eaten and have a drink after, it makes me feel sick and watery mouthed :( It's hard to have food with no drink though!

And I reeeeally miss fizzy drinks :( But we've knocked them on the head to be safe, and I've started a love affair with Lipton Peach Ice Tea :)

Back