• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

dumping????????

sammyc

ive been told about dumping and my pre opp meetings but i didnt really understand the ins and out of it sorry if i sound really thick and i know i should know everything about things that will happen after my opp but this one im stuck on please help!!!!

Early dumping
This typically starts during a meal or within 15-30 minutes following a meal. It is thought to be caused by foods which are high in sugar passing too quickly from the stomach pouch into the small intestine. Because the food is very concentrated (dense) it attracts a correspondingly large amount of fluid into the gut causing it to become stretched and painful. Early dumping syndrome symptoms include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain, cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Bloating, belching
  • Fatigue
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Late dumping
This typically occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Late dumping syndrome is caused by marked changes in blood sugar levels. When sugar is eaten it is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream triggering a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. The pancreas responds by secreting an equally large amount of insulin to soak up the excess blood sugar. However, sometimes the pancreas produces too much insulin, resulting in a low blood sugar level (hypoglycaemia). Late dumping syndrome symptoms include:

• Sweating
  • Weakness, fatigue
  • Dizziness, light-headedness
  • Shakiness
  • Feelings of anxiety, nervousness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Fainting
  • Mental confusion

If you experience late dumping syndrome you need to eat a glucose sweet (anything sweet will do) immediately. Then eat something which is lower in sugar – eg. crackers, wholemeal biscuits, yoghurt etc.

If you eat any food that has a high sugar content you are likely to dump (which means getting hot, feverish, sweaty, like a "hypoglycaemic" episode -- at worst it can lead to vomiting as well -- many bypassers feel the need to lie down and let it wear off if an episode happens).

This happens because your tiny stomach and re-arranged intestines have very little capacity to deal with sugar.

For some bypassers this happens with meals that contain a very high carbohydrate content, as well as sugary/sweet foods.

Am not sure I am giving the best technical explanation, just a brief layman's explanation, and possibly someone else will come along with a link or a slightly better explanation about "dumping".

Ah Marie beat me to it with a much better explanation !!

thanks alot guys so really we need to stay away for things that are high in sugar is that right ???
is there any foods i should look out for that can couse dumping ???/

thanks alot guys so really we need to stay away for things that are high in sugar is that right ???
is there any foods i should look out for that can couse dumping ???/

chocolate
sugar
jam
marmalade
sweets
honey
cough sweets
cakes
etc etc etc ....

Altho you might find you can tolerate *small* amounts without dumping -- but what each bypasser can tolerate varies from one person to the next.

I have never dumped! Get a very sick feeling on milky foods and a slightly sick feeling on everything, but have eaten a biscuit and had no problems, and had 2 belvita's with no consequences. :(

my problem aint really cakes sweets and crisps i just love my dinners and big big dinners meat and potatoes dinners and cheese my dinners are probly twice the size they should be i dont eat all day then eat big dinners and take aways of the night but i know all that has to change now x

Back