• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating the week before TOTM?

slimbydecember

Hey everyone,

Does anyone find their band 'relaxes' the week before they come on? I've been shocked at the amounts I can eat over the last couple of days!

I've had the band over a year now but I've only just started having periods again as I've had the implant removed.

It's annoying as my appetite increases and it seems my band relaxes!

Yes that is exactly what happens with me. I didnt understand it when it first happened (and when I asked for guidance on this site several people made quite cutting comments about the fact that if I didnt understand the band, I shouldnt be having fills etc, which almost put me off coming on the site or asking for any more help/guidance).

Its strange this old band, but I now understand that I have a monthly cycle with the band too. A couple of weeks with good weight loss, then a week that may stay the same or slight increase, and then the following week with a small weight loss. It is all fits with TOTM when for 7-10 days before I feel ravenous and could eat a scabby dog so to speak (and often I eat a lot more of the foods, that the weeks before and after I just cannot - prime example is cake!!! :eek:); then TOTM and the band tightens again. I just go with the flow - now I understand what is happening. And the great thing is, because I understand, I don't think I am failing and then go on and saboutage myself as a consequence.

Sorry for ramble - but hope that answers your question. fear it not xxx

I am exactly the same. I could even eat bread this week, I haven't had bread in ages! Normally I have good restriction but with my last period and this one now due it feels like I've lost restriction but then it comes back.

It's so weird and a big learning curve! I've noticed that you've agreed with me before about salad being a slider but struggling with mash? Maybe our bands affect us in the same way?

Hi both

Well I thought I had gone through the menopause - 3 years virtually free of Aunty Flo - I am 49, will be hitting the big 50 in a few months - and this year I have had 3 periods - the third one coming 17 days after the second one. It started yesterday and I am extremely depressed. They have all occurred since my last fill. I have suffered extreme tightness with the band and have thrown up more than ever in my entire life in the last eight weeks or so since I had the fill. I have an appointment with my provider tomorrow and it will be the first thing I will want to discuss. I did notice things were worse than ever in the last few days and I think that I get the opposite to what you are experiencing. As I do not weigh myself I have no idea what weight I have lost but I am certainly losing inches just from how my clothes are feeling and from the comments I am getting. Nice in some respects but the fact that eating is now coupled with throwing up is not good. Time for a defill or at least further investigation by way of a barium xray which is what I will be seeking. Just goes to show we are all different. Sorry for the ramble:eek:

tranquil x

Hi TB, hope all goes well for you with your today. I agree we are all different and our bands work differently with our bodies. And then, just as we think we have finally worked out what is going on, something changes. But I suppose that may happen anyway, as our bodies are always changing aren't they. Throwing up not good though, so great that you are going to have that discussion with your provider. Dont forget to give us an update. Big Hug xxx

Slimbydecember - strange that comment I made about salad being a slider, because yesterday it was not. I did struggle a bit with it :sigh: While I do know the band is there and working for me - and I rely on it as back-up - I have never felt the amount of restriction it seems that some people achieve, whereby they can only eat a sideplate maximum of food. I could always eat more (but dont get me wrong, still far less volume than previously), so maybe what I feel when I am tighter at TOTM is what banders with good restriction feel all of the time. My concern is if I were to have more mils in my band, how bad would it be at TOTM. I dont want to eat teeny weeny amounts all the time and possibly have to have a defill, so I prefer to have less mils and use a bit more will power. That is working for me at the moment, I feel like I have achieved a happy medium/sustainable level with what I have got. How about you? Do you feel comfortable with how things are going for you?

I do still get food stuck but I don't think that's the bands fault, I still sometimes eat too quickly/big mouthfuls and try to eat the wrong foods that I just know I can't tolerate.

I don't have the restriction of some as although I'm tighter in the mornings I can still have a coffee with cereal or fruit. I had 4 ml in a 10 ml band in July but had to have 1 ml removed in January as it suddenly went very very tight and I was struggling with liquids. I don't know why after 6 months but my nurse told me it was probably due to stress?

I feel all in all my weight loss has been slow and not very steady, staying the same or gaining a few lbs and then losing a load. I've lost 4 stone since Jan 2011. But did not have my first fill until may.

I certainly know I cannot rely on the band alone. I still have to choose not to have full fat Mayo on my salad! :eek:)

It has helped me dramatically reduce my portion sizes though. I could happily eat a large dominos pizza, garlic bread, chicken strippers and a pudding once... far gone are those days!

It really is different for different people. Your last sentence about domino etc.... that was me two weeks ago despite having 6.75ml in a 10 ml band. Now this week after having a fill taking me to 7.5ml I seems to have hit that sweet spot. Still willpower to not eat slender wrong food but feel satisfied from a side plate.

The willpower has to be there and for me sometimes it isn't there all of the time. I am still very weak and obsessive about foods at times. I manage to control myself a lot of the time and eat 'normally' rather than make wrong choices and overeat.

The time I feel most out of control is the week before I come on. But in my mind I'm emotional, unreasonable, stubborn and depressed the week before my period. My boyfriend doesn't know if he's coming or going!

I do have a hormonal problem called non-classical, late onset, congenital adrenal hyperplasia so it might be something to do with that x

Like Michelle said, I would not beat myself over it and go with the flow and the cycle. It's seems its already hard as it is no need for further emotional ache over food. As long as you regain control over it once it is over.

Back