• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band then diaorrhea help please!

kikuka

Tequila makes miaow happy
Apologies for the spelling!

My dad had a gastric bypass in Feb. It went well, and he is progressing well with his foods also, and can now eat sme solid foods like baked beans, chunky soups, toast now and again.
The problem is he is plagued by the runs. Two or three times a day he has the urgent need to go RIGHT AWAY if you get my meaning, and is on the loo with bad pains for an hour.
This seems to go in phases - 3-4 days of suffering then 3-4 days of trouble.
Have any of you got any advice? i have heard a pro/prebiotic may help, but activia yoghurts make him sick - are there any others you have tried?
Also have you found that having a drink with the meal causes problems?

Is there anything he can do to manage this problem, or a treatment to help it go away? The hospital have not been very helpful and though his weight loss is going well, i worry that he is not getting any nutrition as every time he eats, he runs to the loo straight away. Sorry for TMI

This is most likely down to the amount of fluids he is drinking combined with the 'soft' foods. Once he is back on solids properly it will ease off, and better the 'runs' then constipation. I too was constantly having to run to the toilet in the first month after my bypass

Sorry I can not help after my pass near 11 weeks post op I have been constipated since day one and have to take movical 3 times a day. Tell your dad I will swop for a couple of weeks lol. Hope he is ok soon

HI, did your dad have the band or the bypass? Just is says band in the title and bypass in main text..

I had the bypass and get the runs if I eat too much sugar or fat! Does your dad know about dumping syndrome? You really need to watch the sugar content in food! Also I am Lactose intolerant since my bypass, which can be a side effect of the surgery, and this causes my tum to become upset...is there any particular food or is it all foods that are causing problems? Its still very early days for your dad, but it may be worth getting back in contact with the doctors just to put your dads mind at rest, that things will settle. Just make sure he is getting plenty of fluids in to replace what he is losing!

Best wishes,

Kel xx

Back