• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass...how long off work?

mermaid2708

new year...new me!x
i self certificated (from date of my op) for the first 7 days then went to see my gp who signed me off for a further 6 weeks...and he has warned me that i will prob get 1 more week after that as he is not happy for me to go back to work until i have been for my follow up appointment with the surgeon on 5th march...so you can imagine how shocked i am when some posters are only a couple of weeks post op and talking about returning to work the following week :eek:...i was just wondering how long everyone is taking off work to recover???xxx

Hi
Didnt want to read and run, I am going to be a bander and still dont know this answer but someone will be along soon to help you.
Can someone who is a bander also answer this too. I dont work but have 3 small kids and dont know if it woudl be better I have the band fitted during teh 6 week holiday or when they are in school.
xx
Helen

Hi Mermaid,

Did you have keyhole or open?

I am having open and have been told by the hospital team that it is a 6 week recovery period (similar to a C section delivery).

I'm one of the ones who went back fairly quickly (2 1/2 weeks). I had keyhole surgery which has a faster recovery than open, which helped, and I also have a fairly sedentary job, in which I set my own hours and can work from home if I want to. On top of that, I put myself under a lot of pressure to go back quickly as there is only me there and I am responsible for a group of volunteers and in my own little egocentric world they couldn't possibly cope without me any longer.

Hi
I was open and I ended up with 8 weeks off. I was fine by about week 4 but had trouble sitting upright for long periods of time and seeing as I am at a PC all day long my GP thought it would be best to wait until 100% better.
Cx

mermaid make the most of it, rushing back is not a good idea, i was meant to go back 2 days after i fell ill, and i am still not sure i would have been ready for it.

As a bander, you feel better quicker and there is no definitive answer to the question, as it depends entirely on you and how quickly you heal plus what kind of work you do. If you have kids, I would say best wheb they are not around, as your tummy will be very tender and you will need to rest, especially for the first couple of weeks. Some people heal mega quick and get back to work quickly, others take longer.

As for the bypass I guess its the same story, depends entirely on how well you heal and if your provider/doctor/surgeon thinks you are ok. My best advice is to listen to their advice and listen also to your own body.

Hi Mermaid,

Did you have keyhole or open?

I am having open and have been told by the hospital team that it is a 6 week recovery period (similar to a C section delivery).

i had key hole...but i do have quite a physically demanding job though...i work 10 hour night shifts in a two person team supporting 15 adults who have learning (and some also have physical) disabilities and challenging behaviour...so i am on my feet most of the night, and i could not 'pop' home if i was not feeling ok. i think my gp wants me 150% well before i go back.

Last edited:
then definately do have the full time off, you need to be certain your ok again if the job is very demanding

Back