• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric sleeve to bypass

guinevere

Hi All

Surgery booked for Feb 16. Would love some support! :)
Had a gastric sleeve 7 years ago but only really lost 20lbs. Now having sleeve made into a tiny pouch. No malabsorption only restriction. Anyone else had this? Marcus Reddy is surgeon.

Welcome to the forum, I am a MGBer myself but am sure there are a few people on here with revision surgeries.

Hope the pouch is more successful than the sleeve was.

Last edited:
Hi there, I had a sleeve to mini gastric bypass in September. I've had two metres of intestine bypassed and attached to the bottom of the pouch/sleeve so I get malabsorption. I thought all bypasses gave you malabsorption but I may be wrong. Would you need b12 injections?

You'll be fine. My restriction isn't massive like others but it's certainly less that I used to be able to eat before! Good luck xxx

Has it been successful? He said no malabsorption so I guess he is not taking out any intestine. But the pouch will be v v small ?.
No going out for meals.

Has it been successful? He said no malabsorption so I guess he is not taking out any intestine. But the pouch will be v v small ?. No going out for meals.

Ah right, it sounds like they will make a smaller pouch than me then. Seems to have been successful so far :) I had my sleeve two years ago and up until now I've lost 12.5 stones (I had a high starting weight). I'm less than four months out from my second op and eat out every week without issue. I can eat two starters quite comfortably, or a small main. I eat three meals a day and have two lots of small snacks such as nuts, fruit, cheese or oatcakes etc. So overall I'd say I eat well and I'm losing slowly but steadily. I've lost three stone since my second op on the 1 Sept.
Just shout if you have any questions and I'll try and help X

Hi, I can't eat sugar over 5-6g per 100g or high fat food which are the main things and you realise how limiting that is when it happens to you. I could eat these foods with the sleeve. The most noticeable thing for me is bowel habits! Lol! Too much info! But I do go to the loo quire a bit more as I suppose food moves through the bowel quicker with it being shortened and any fats etc aren't absorbed. And the 3 monthly vit b injections....that's it really! X

I think the frequency is coz you don't absorb all the fat. I think mine is just an extreme sleeve really. I hope I loose enough weight. Good luck you sounds like it's working for you xx

I think the frequency is coz you don't absorb all the fat. I think mine is just an extreme sleeve really. I hope I loose enough weight. Good luck you sounds like it's working for you xx

You will be absolutely fine! These surgeons know what they are doing. :) good luck Hun xx

Hey guinevere

I'd guess eating out depends on how large your pouch is. I've had a mini bypass and my experience is a bit different from Pooh's to be honest. I'm 9 weeks out of the operation now and do eat out, BUT I can only manage one small starter. In fact, if the place serves up a big starter portion I sometimes can't manage the whole of it.

I have a sleeve, but it is tiny, so maybe something like what you will be getting. I cannot eat a whole starter, i do eat out but it is frustrating at times. I find solid and dense protein, such as meat, is not enjoyable to eat and i avoid it now after a long time of trying to get it down. I eat every 2-3 hours in order to get enough food down during a day and have to clock watch to get the fluids in between the food. I am generally ok with sugars but some very sugary food gives me what I call a sleevers sleep..i am suddenly hit by tiredness and have to sleep it off and i go drowsy and feel sick.
Good luck with your new procedure and keep us updated.

Hey guinevere I'd guess eating out depends on how large your pouch is. I've had a mini bypass and my experience is a bit different from Pooh's to be honest. I'm 9 weeks out of the operation now and do eat out, BUT I can only manage one small starter. In fact, if the place serves up a big starter portion I sometimes can't manage the whole of it.

That would be OK. How are you doing with it?

I have a sleeve, but it is tiny, so maybe something like what you will be getting. I cannot eat a whole starter, i do eat out but it is frustrating at times. I find solid and dense protein, such as meat, is not enjoyable to eat and i avoid it now after a long time of trying to get it down. I eat every 2-3 hours in order to get enough food down during a day and have to clock watch to get the fluids in between the food. I am generally ok with sugars but some very sugary food gives me what I call a sleevers sleep..i am suddenly hit by tiredness and have to sleep it off and i go drowsy and feel sick. Good luck with your new procedure and keep us updated.

I like that! - "sleeves sleep" I think that is basically what I am having. Who did yours? Have you lost weight?

Hey there, good luck with your surgery in February. Can I ask why you are having a bypass? Did the sleeve not work for you. Just curious since I have the sleeve.
I guess everyone reacts different to these operations. I can eat more than Karina for sure, 2 starters are easy to consume and at normal pace. I can also eat sweet things with no.reaction - as the box of celebration in front of telly proved lastt week!!!

Hey there, good luck with your surgery in February. Can I ask why you are having a bypass? Did the sleeve not work for you. Just curious since I have the sleeve. I guess everyone reacts different to these operations. I can eat more than Karina for sure, 2 starters are easy to consume and at normal pace. I can also eat sweet things with no.reaction - as the box of celebration in front of telly proved lastt week!!!
Yes - the sleeve didn't really get me out of the obese category. I had it 7 years ago, a little bit of stretch means I put on a bit, so I am having to go more radical. I hope it works. I do eat between meals which is not great with the sleeve. On the positive no health issues except gall bladder removal!

Good luck with your new operation. It's good to have the options. Wish you all the best, you will get loads of advise from by passers on this site.

Back