• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELLO AND HELP

Celticlin

Good morning lovely people
I am so glad to have found this forum as recommended by a very helpful lady called Becky. I have had a gastric band since 2005 and unfortunately after a good weight loss of 4 stone, I developed complications and was unable to lose any more weight. I also was unable to maintain my weight loss as the band had to be defilled. For the past 2 years I have really struggled and thought about what to do. I am not prepared to give up. I am currently looking at 3 main surgeries and by speaking to different people I am hoping that I will realise the best option for me. Dr Debruynne has recommended a 'mini gastric bypass' this has tempted me as it is the same surgeon who knows me, it is reversible but will it work? Next on my list is the Sleeve. This seems very appealing but my concerns here are that I will stretch it and in time it will no longer work? Lastly a full blown bypass is the only other option but being a nurse I am very aware of the complications that could come in the long term from malabsorption. Sorry to bomboozle you all:confused::confused::confused:. I have got to get this right. Has anyone had a sleeve or a bypass long term? looking forward to your advice.
Thanks Linda:)

Hi hun i had full bypass and all i can say its the best thing that ever happened to me, complications are minimal i think the mortality rate is now 1 in 500 as opposed to stats a couple years ago of 1 in 100. respect the pouch and it will give you what you need xxx

Hi

I had the full bypass and got down to target weight in about 7 months, best decision I ever made.

Never heard of the mini bypass though so cannot comment on that, also is worth remembering that Malabsorbsion, Although a possibility is by no means common. As long as you have a healthy mixed diet after surgery you will be fine with little more than your daily multivitamin.

Bypass or sleeve, that's a tough one, but with a bypass you stomach is still in place and it still produces digestive enzymes which are still used just further down, with a sleeve 80% of the stomach is completely removed.

Are you diabetic, if yes then the bypass is best, do you suffer from acid reflux, if yes then the bypass is best, do you always feel hungry, if yes then a bypass is best.

The sleeve is said to be better for patients that just eat very large portion size meals.

Your doctor is really the best one to discuss your options based on your medical needs.

Paul

i hope you come to the decision thats right for you talk to your doctor about it

Hi!

I recommend in-depth research on the mini-gastric bypass before you commit. On Youtube the doctor who 'pioneered' it, and naturally promotes it, offers convincing video footage. However I have read that the complication rate for this comparatively untested procedure is higher than for other WLS procedures.

You might consider posting on OSSG-WLS Uncensored and/or OSSG WLS Gone Wrong (both Yahoo Groups) for up-to-date 'personal experience' advice on the pros and cons of the mini-bypass.

Good luck!

14 years post op... Get a baby food grinder, exercise, watch the liquid fats...
Eat Raw Foods!!! There isn't any reason your not losing, other then the fact your body may be at it's goal weight even though you may not think so..
How much do you weigh, and how tall are you...

Almost at the year mark!!!
Great Job, it's a lot of work...
But, the long term healthier you
will love it!!

Back