• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hiya all
Well for those of you that can remember back to my pictures I posted of my stay in hospital you will know that when someone talks about something the nosey side of me wishes I could take a peek into the situation and see it for myself, that is what made me put those pictures up, so that others like me could see what I was talking about.
In the same way, any time I hear that people are losing their hair post-op I wonder just how much they mean and this morning as I brushed my hair I thought about the times that I had wondered how much and as I have spoken on here about my hair loss recently, and I decided to take a picture of how much hair came out and then show you all, for no reason other than in case there is anyone out there that is interested to peek into my world and see what hair loss means to me.
The picture is of the hair that came out this morning when I brushed my hair. Bits more come out during the day and when I brush at night, so you could probably add another bit on top of the amount in the picture.
The paper it is on is A4 size.
Steph xx

hair.jpg

I am no expert, but maybe its a stress thing, as the Op puts you through one hell of an ordeal??

Ah yes Kim I knew to expect, I know it is all part of the journey and fully accept it as that, just thought people might like to see it as comparison kind of thing.
Steph xx

Ah yes Kim I knew to expect, I know it is all part of the journey and fully accept it as that, just thought people might like to see it as comparison kind of thing.
Steph xx
Ah...roger that! ;)

Yep Steph, I would say I lose a similar amount of hair every single day and have been doing for a few months now. Its more when I wash my hair, and like you I lose more throughout the day.

It seems really frightening when you see it like that, but I started with plenty of hair so it hasnt been noticeable to anyone except me.

hi mines looks about the same except i dont have a lot to loose my hair is v thin:( but was expecting it i will cope.

No pain no gain x

Yep that looks about what I lost Steph its a bit alarming isn't it, luckily I had lovely thick hair to start with but its comingback now as Nic told me it would.

Hope yours does soon

M

Yep i lost all mine - now i'm as bald as a coot ! lol

Get your GP to prescribe you Selenium if it gets any worse - i'm informed the hair lose does stop and re grows eventually

Mine was ridiculous at about 3-6 months post op. Its all growing back now and I have lots of bloody baby hair!

Sal x

i thought mine wasn't that noticeable... until a resident pointed out in the middle of a dining room of very chaotic individuals " collette, did you know you're going bald"!!!!!!

My hair loss was at its worst in months 3 and 4 post op. It was filling the plug hole so much it had to be cleared out halfway through washing my hair as it stopped any water going down. I just went to the hairdressers and had my hair layered more and altered my parting a bit. I noticed it more than others and once I stopped stressing it quickly got better and is now growing back well.
x

Do you think it's worth taking one of the hair vitamins pre-op??? I think I've seen someone say Silica something (I might be wrong!!). I'm going to be a bridesmaid 3 months after my op so hope mine isn't that bad!!!

Thanks for posting though. Good to have all the facts!!

Mine when it was falling out actually looked like more if you can believe it, but I also have long hair so when mine falls out it looks like a massive heap. Mine was worst 6 months post-op and started to re-grow at about 9-10 months. Everything seems back to normal now and nobody seemed to notice it when it thinned.

Nic:p

Pity the hair loss doesn't occur somewhere useful like under your arms or legs!

Pity the hair loss doesn't occur somewhere useful like under your arms or legs!

Haha, you're right Tyra... My legs seem to need shaving more than ever before, whilst my head hair is falling out in handfuls. It really isnt fair.

When the hair grows back do you have lots of spiky bits until it grows long enough to blend in? And if you're already starting to go grey is all the new growth grey too? :eek:

Lossing hair post-op or from a serious trauma is quite normal and can last with varing effects for 12 months, after this time the body has started to recover and the effects are reversed - so you will see less and less hair loss and more regrowth. This happened to be after both of my pregnancies and my hysterectomy so i was prepared for it - i just had my hair cut into a short style and it's easier to manage too.

Sending you all hugs and fairy dust xx

Back