• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair regrowth

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
I've posted here, in the past on some of the threads about thinning hair, but thought I would just update with my observations nearly a year out.

My hair started to thin as I got towards 4 months out from surgery. I noticed it in the plughole and shower and I could have knitted a wig from the contents of my Dyson.

I didn't have any bald spots, but my hairline did get very thin at the front and my whole head of hair looked thin and wispy in places. I used to have fine, extremely straight hair, but lots of it.

I started to take zinc with vitamin c and silica on top of my multivitamins, as advised by my dietician. I don't know whether that helped or whether my body just started to get used to the new food intake situation, but I started to get hair regrowth.

The new hair was like baby hair - fine and soft. I have had to keep my hair quite short throughout the last year to try to blend this in.

The latest development is that the hair that is growing back is quite wavy! A total contrast to my lifetime of stick-straight hair. I'm not sure I like it, either ;)
I now have to use Frizz Ease products or the slightest damp weather or trip to the gym creates a curly frame around the back of my neck and on my forehead.
I knew where I stood with my old hair, but blow drying this is difficult!

No idea what has caused this or whether it will continue, but - to be honest - I'm just glad not to be bald!

Nice to see a positive post on hair.
There are always a lot of worried posts on hair-loss so it's good to hear from someone who has been through it and is starting to see a change. Thanks.

My experience has been similar. My hair began to fall out big-time at about 3 months post-op. It actually blocked the Dyson and we weren't sure what was wrong with it until we pulled it all apart.
I would wake up every morning with clumps of hair on my pillow, brush my hair and see the hair brush full, wash me hair and pick hand-fulls out of the bath or sink.

It got so distressing that I went and had my hair cut much shorter. My hair was very long and quite straight, at most a little wave.

I'm now almost 7 months post-op and the hair loss though still there, is much less. I tried zinc supplements but it made me very sick. I've tried to focus on plenty of protein in my diet though.

The strangest thing is that my hair is now very curly! I can't say I've noticed new hair growth yet, but what I have left is completely different in texture. I'm hoping that as it grows longer, and grows back in, the curls will be less. But at the moment I'm just going with the flow and using products to enhance the curls, so as to avoid too much styling, which would just damage my hair more.

It feels very odd to have curly hair though.

When you loose your hair, through chemotherapy, alopecia or though weight loss (like us) then it's very common for the new hair to grow back totally different.

It can be wavy when your hair was always dead straight or vice versa.

It can also grow back a totally different colour.

My current re growth is like baby hair, wonder if it'll tugn out to be wavy!

My daughter has alopecia and the little haif she has is mousy. She has a little re growth at the moment and it's growing back White, well very very light blondey White. We don't care, hair is great to have what ever colour or texture!

i seem to lose a lot, my hair was very thick on the crown, this seems to have thinned out an awful lot, but not to the extent it looks bald or anything, so im hoping mine starts to thicken up a bit soon, can i get the silica and zinc stuff from the chemist, or do i have to go to a health shop.

Back